cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Router setup as a Wireless bridge

Mahikoa
Explorer
Explorer
In the title I use the term wireless bridge, but that may not actually be what I need. I am a full time RV'r with my wife. I have been stumbling trying to get the internet setup I want. Here is my goal. Everyone knows that park wifi can be hit and miss, more so if you are a distance from the access point of the park wifi. Currently I have an extender connected to a directional antenna. That is working much better to access their wifi. I would like to be able to have a personal wifi network in my RV with it's own security setup. All my devices would connect to that network. Is there a way to use a router with my directional antenna to connect to the park wifi and use that same router to turn the park signal into a secondary network that I am able to use exclusively in my RV? And a second question, when I am on the road, could that same setup be used to connect to open wifi at places like Walmart and keep the secure network in my RV? I am just starting to learn how to work with routers and firmware like DDwrt, so I apologize if any terminology is wrong. Thanks for the help.
12 REPLIES 12

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TPLINK range extender ($15) with an Ethernet connection I think I could use that to connect to the CG WiFi. Use the Ethernet connection to my router and that would provide security.

I just don't know once the signal leaves the TPLink to the CG WIFI would that be secure? I think https would be.

Anyone know if this would be a solution for the OP?
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Mine, using a dumbed down version of DD-WRT will let you search for the Host, either Open or passworded. On the Client (your own devices) you can password access to the repeater. I can run it like that so only my devices have access, or open it up, even if the Host is passworded. I'm currently using a friends SOHO Surf that operates the same way. With a gain antenna on the roof I have no issues with coverage to the Host, or my local devices for a considerable distance
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Use the Linksys WRT54GL to connect to the campground. Then a short piece of Cat5 to another router that is your hotspot. This gives you a hardware firewall to outside and security on your wireless. You get better speed also as each wireless connection is only to 1 location, and not switching between two.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
My Netgear Range Extender adds a password choice along with the .ext suffix identity as opposed to the router, a Netgear AC1900. I paid $ 29.00 at a Fry's Electronics sale, retail was $ 59.00. Works without issue and has an ethernet jack to boot. I think you need both a router and an extender that are compatible, in your case, my guess is they are not compatible and preventing a different password.

Disclaimer: I'm not a computer professional, but my father co-wrote cobol, fortran, and parts of basic...and set up the TRACON systems that get me home safely by air. I wanted to be a scientist. YMMV. :B

Mahikoa
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate everyones help. I am now connected, but not yet how I want. Still having a couple issues. Here is what I did. Maybe someone can direct me where I am messing up. I had an old Linksys WRT54GL, and I was able to change the firmware to DDWRT. After looking at their tutorial and countless videos, i set up a repeater bridge. I am connected, but the issue I am having is with the security. I have no issue connecting to the park wifi as a simple repeater. I have trouble when I add a virtual interface. I can set that up as a completely different SSID, but when the password is different than the password of the park wifi network, it doesn't work. Also, if I disable security, it works, but for obvious reasons, I don't want to do that. Even on the WW-DRT wiki for setting up a virtual interface is says the password has to be the same as the router you are connecting to. I also have not set up a VPN yet, but I am going to try to do that. I am not sure how that works with a repeater instead of a regular router. Everywhere I read says I need a WAN IP to set up a VPN, but when the router is set as a repeater or a repeater bridge, WAN is disabled. For now I am connected, but I am hoping someone has some tips to help me set it up how I was hoping. Thanks again everyone for your help.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Sure -you can do it yourself, but for $110 I went with the Rokland "Alfa WiFi Camp Pro" kit.

The advantage of these kits over the DIY approach is that you'll have a UI that's setup to get you where you want quickly. I have a DD-WRT router too, at home, and I'm not entirely sure how I'd get the same user experience I get with the kit.

The kit comes with an Alfa R36 router. After powering things up, you http log into the R36, and click the 'Scan' button. It'll list out all of the networks it sees.

Pick the one you want and click, 'Next' then up pops a page for your log-in credentials. One more click and you're setting up your internal RV network.

I hung a small 5 port switch off the pack of my R36, so I have a wired and wireless internal network in the coach. And the ability to bridge to another Wifi network, outside.

Can you roll your own?
Yeah, probably.

But for $110, it was easier for me to throw money at it.

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Some wireless routers support "WISP mode", which should do what you want.

The TP-Link TL-WR743ND is an example of one which should be able to be configured to do what you want. This isn't a recommendation - I've never worked with one. It was just one which came up on a simple search. Search for "WISP mode router" to find others.

They call it "Client Router Mode," where it would connect to the campground WLAN (via your existing repeater), and then create a separate, private WLAN.

When connecting to a campground WLAN, you'd need to configure it to make the connection. After that connection is made, connect your device(s) via the private wireless.

Edit: that will give you a private local wireless, but won't stop others from going through your repeater. If you want to do that to avoid sharing that bandwidth, you'd need 2 routers/APs - one in client mode connected to the directional antenna in place of your repeater, then another configured as a normal wireless router to provide your local WLAN. Then connect them back-to-back via Ethernet.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to plug in the VERIZON AIR CARD into a router at our work sites and use both Wireless and wired connections coming from the router... Worked out flawlessly...

My VERIZON MIFI box gives my a good wireless range on its own. I can get much more range having it sitting in a WILSON SLEEK cradle which has an outside antenna in my POPUP trailer up behind the valance curtains. Then we can connect to the internet with up to five devices all around the camp site with no problem... This is an secured network as well...

There may be some legal rules issues about relaying someone elses WIRELESS NETWORK..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would set the router up to use a VPN as well, which would do a very good job securing your network, so you would connect to your router, which would connect via a vpn and the free wifi signal, vpn keeping everything encrypted and private.
-- Chris Bryant

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The DD-WRT software will what you ask. It will end up essentially as a passworded repeater that you connect all your devices to. Your router does a search, you find what you want to, add password if required, and done. Your "local" password can (and should) be different from that talking to the host and can be fixed so you don't have to reconfigure things other than the router each time.

As far as being "secure", that's a different story. If you are talking to an open AP at Walmart or a CG, someone that knows what they're doing can still get to you although I've never heard it done.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, this can be done.

If I understand your current setup, your current extender would provide the WAN to your RV network. There are tutorials out there, I know there are members that have done this. They will likely chime in soon. I have a link saved somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.