cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV GPS

landmjack
Explorer
Explorer

RV trip navigation. I've always used Rand McNally RVND7. As far as I can tell it is no longer supported. The trip planning portion does not work either. I'm looking for alternatives. RV Life trip wizard came with my new Jayco 5th wheel. As far as I can tell the only way to see the route map is on my phone. I don't see how this is practical to use nor safe. What alternatives have people found to navigate a trip safely? Any help will be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

get a tablet and use that linked to phone via blue tooth for a map of your choice.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

Is there an RV GPS that works with car play?

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

We have been using various Garmin RV specific GPS units and they are as accurate as anything else and can be routed for your specific rig. There are a variety of screen sizes and if you shop around you can find units offering lifetime updates which amounts to four a year until the unit is not supported anymore.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad

I use TomTom on my phone, it is a yearly subscription. On their website I setup my configuration , truck and camper details such as total length, width, and heighth. I pan the route on my computer on their website. It takes account of my dimensions and plans route around that information. I can adjust the route as I want. If I need to do a fuel stop on a trip I will figure out the distance I want to drive and pick a place where I can get fuel and eat. I use Google Maps in satellite to study the possible gas/food stop to make sure access to pumps is easy and parking that will accomondate me.  Once I am happy with my route I save it and it synchs to my phone. 

I had used a TomTom for years and didn't know it had the routing capabilities for my configuration until AFTER we did a trip to the Smokey Mountains and were take on roads we had no business on. When we got home I discovered the routing options and played around with it and it avoided the roads that I should not have been on.

Freebie GPS navigation does not provide the options to tell it what you are driving/pulling. They are designed for a car. 

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

We use Google maps on the phone.  Works nice.  If you need a larger screen,  you can run it on a tablet. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV