cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Samsung Galaxy S 6 vs Apple iPhone 6?

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Currently have two flip up Verizon phones and a Verizon MIFI 2200.

The 2200 is 3G and Grandfathered unlimited.

We RV all over the country. Verizon works well for us.

Want to get a little more high tech. Which would you recommend and why?
41 REPLIES 41

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
It never occurred to me people pay for text messages anymore.. people really don't have unlimited text and messaging? Ouch. I haven't worried about my phone usage for many years.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Random question for Android users: does Android have a phone-to-phone messaging app like iMessage that allows free texting phone to phone? Most of my friends/family have iPhones, so we can send messages for free, except for bandwidth. One friend who has Android, we communicate via e-mail only to avoid extra text message charges.

Android has Google Sky which we do miss. We originally went with iPhone because DW wanted the good camera at the time so are not rabid fans one way or the other. The S6 Edge is cool...
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Click on the "App Store" icon and search for these apps in the search field.

Alternatively, you can download itunes to your laptop computer and sync with it.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13

These look like great apps. How do I get them to my iPhone???

Remember I'm new to this so I need a lot of help here.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Great to hear. I'm glad you were able to keep the unlimited plan intact. Sounds like you made a great decision and you'll love your new phones.

Now, let me suggest some helpful RV apps:

mapping: inRoute
Online Navigation: Google Maps or Waze
Offline Navigation: CoPilot or Navigon
Travel: Road Trip, GasBuddy, RoadAhead, Rest Stops
Camping: Allstays Camp & RV, ParkFinder, RV Parky
Weather: Dark Sky, Wunderground, Storm
Scanner / Photocopier: CamScanner, Scanner Pro
`

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Ok an update. First I want to thank all of you for your input. This tech stuff, especially when wifee and I only had flip up cell phones, can get pretty confusing and intimidating.

With this being our first iPhones, we felt we would have a lot to learn so whichever iPhone we got was going to be a real leaning experience. If we make the wrong decision in our selection, we would most likely not know the difference. Next time around when we upgrade we'll be much wiser about the technology.

So here's what we did. We each got the Apple iPhone 6 through Verizon. We paid $200 for each phone. In addition we get a $200 rebate on each phone. So cost of phones up front is zero. There's a $40 activation fee per phone. Our monthly bill increases $10 per month for each phone. We get to keep our unlimited 3g MIFI plan in tack.

Now we're on a slow learning curve. It's a good thing we're visiting with our daughter. Our granddaughter is a great teacher. She had her iPhone for a couple of years now. As a teenager, always on the iPhone texting, she's been very helpful. We started with "How to turn the darn phones on and off"!!! LOL!!!

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
wcjeep wrote:
Avoid the iPhone 6+. Too big. Either the Galaxy S6 or IPhone 6 will do fine. I prefer the Galaxy for the screen quality and software. Camera reviews tend to pick the Galaxy. Though its close. Near 50/50 when compared to the I6+.
I've got the iPhone 6+ and it's the perfect size for my hands. Definitely too big for my daughter's hands, however. So try it out before you dismiss it. Perhaps it will fit you perfectly or maybe it will be too big for you.

But if you do buy it, please let me know so that it will validate my purchase decision. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My husband has the iPhone 5 and I think his next purchased will be the iPhone6 plus in Oct., unless he changes his mind. At first he thought the iPhone6 plus is too big, but everyone can change their mind, LOL.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
Avoid the iPhone 6+. Too big. Either the Galaxy S6 or IPhone 6 will do fine. I prefer the Galaxy for the screen quality and software. Camera reviews tend to pick the Galaxy. Though its close. Near 50/50 when compared to the I6+.
I've got the iPhone 6+ and it's the perfect size for my hands. Definitely too big for my daughter's hands, however. So try it out before you dismiss it. Perhaps it will fit you perfectly or maybe it will be too big for you.

But if you do buy it, please let me know so that it will validate my purchase decision. ๐Ÿ˜‰
`

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
lynndiwagon wrote:
Steve, I beg to differ. They aren't both "the same." Wife has Iphone 6plus and I have Samsung S5 so I actually know the differences. I would say that if you like an open source operating type system then go to the android, otherwise go with the iphone.

I never wrote that they were the same. Also the openness of android is more exploitable by hackers and malware,ads,popups, and all that other junk.

I have had many Android phones, starting with the very first Android phone that came out in 2008, and I have NEVER had any of those issues. I also have many friends who have owned Android phones for years and NONE of them have had any of those issues. The statement above is false.

I much prefer Android, but I don't trash talk iphone. Both OS platforms are very good -- buy what you like.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If you want Apple, I recommend waiting until September for the latest technology.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
You would have won the bet!
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Seattle Steve wrote:
They are both great phones. You can find all the reviews you want online. Just pick one.

All you'll get here are posts from people with self esteem issues insisting you buy the same thing they did so they will feel more validated in their decision.

Agreed While the operating systems maybe different the capabilities of the Iphone 6 and S6 are the same.
Ultimately choices and competition are good for the consumer.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a iPhone 4 because it was available for Tracfone and Verizon towers (iPhone 5 is now) Bonus feature is it plays real well with my iPad for apps and such. Connected to Dropbox every thing is available on both.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor. Pay full price for the phone. This will keep your Unlimited data intact. 3g, 4g doesn't matter. Verizon continues to call and mail flyers inviting me to spend more money on capped data plans.

The GS6 has built-in wireless charging. It is extremely rare I plug in my S5 to charge my phone.