Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satellite Dish Wiring Idea

hawkeye12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I know that this topic has been covered, I wanted to run my idea past someone to see if I am in cloud 9 or if my Idea will work.

I have a Coachmen Clipper (Small I know), It has a cable hookup outside but nothing for Satellite. I don't feel like changing the cable hookup so I came up with the idea of putting a faceplate on the side of the bed by the door and run a cable to the receiver on the counter, then in the pass through storage run a coax cable from the faceplate to the opposite side of the camper. Then I would add a connector to that cable to allow me to hookup the satellite dish.

Is that to many cables? any input would be helpful.
4 REPLIES 4

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never connect to park cable so I use the park cable connection to get the Directv SL3 SWM signal to the AV area. It connects directly to the splitter/power inserter.
I used to run it in through the window but this way saves going in and out.

A few RVs ago had the tv in the dash so I ran a 50' premade cable in through front engine compartment thru the firewall to the sat box and left it coiled up and secured it near the firewall.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
No problem doing that. I only had a single coax input for cable. I could use it for sat by moving an internal coax jumper. Got tired of that.

I added a coax wall plate in a cabinet under the TV. I drilled a hole in the outside wall near that same wall plate and installed a weather proof outside coax connector. I connected the two with a quad shielded coax cable. Another coax cable from the wall plate to the sat receiver. And HDMI from the receiver to the TV. I have a Tailgater. It works fine with the standard RG6 coax cable, but I bought a new quad shielded coax cable to improve on that. System works great.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I did that, once upon a time, when I didn't know much about switches and antenna boosters in the existing coax.

You can do that, or, find any switches in the cable hookup and bypass them, either by separate wire or jumping.

That's what I intend to do. I would just use a barrel connector to connect the goesinta and the goesoutta to bypass the switch. They come out easily.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did that, once upon a time, when I didn't know much about switches and antenna boosters in the existing coax.

You can do that, or, find any switches in the cable hookup and bypass them, either by separate wire or jumping.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman