cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple program like Quicken

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Quicken for eons and it has evolved from floppy disc to much, much more. Still, I'm only at the elementary stage. My program is used for my checking, credit cards, and cash. My bills are not paid through Quicken and I don't download information from my bank. Is there a free, very simple program that will do the job?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com
17 REPLIES 17

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I tried a couple of programs and toyed with them a bit. In the end, I've been using Quicken for so long that it is just easier to keep it.

Thanks yo all who responded.
Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
My ancient version of Quicken would not install when I went from a 32 bit to a 64 bit Windows 10 system. After much hunting, I settled on Clear Checkbook, a free program (there's also a paid version with more features), that works through the Chrome browser and will synch with other computers and Android devices.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stay with Quicken.
At the end of the year I print out a report to summarize Medical bills paid for the year which helps me complete my Itemized Deductions on Form 1040 Schedule A.
We also occasionally search for payments to a particular person/company for whatever reason.
You can also do a report that shows where you money went!
And I also use it to balance our check book.
We don't pay bills either but would recommend Quicken to others for the uses stated.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

fj12ryder wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm not sure what is meant by "no online features" with MS Money. I download financial data all the time to mine. All my CC data, and some of the bank balances.

Perhaps you are using an older version prior the the discontinuation of it?
All the stuff I have read about it says no more online services or support.
Nope, I'm using the Money Plus Sunset Deluxe that came out when they stopped all the updates. As long as banks and CC companies continue to support Money-type files, it's no biggie. I download all my statements to MS Money, easy peasy.

Well how bout that!!:B that's good!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at KMyMoney. Click on the Screenshots link under the Home menu to see examples of what it looks like.

After using Quicken for many years I switched to KMyMoney in 2014. I didn't try to import my historic data from Quicken and it took some time to set up the accounts and the large number of income and expense categories I keep track of, but once set up it works similar to Quicken. It has budgeting and lots of predefined reports that I have customized to meet my needs. It doesn't have all of the fancy charts available in Quicken, but I like it a lot. I use it keep track of checking, savings, credit cards, cash and investments. I'm using it with Windows 7 and 10 and on a Linux machine.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm not sure what is meant by "no online features" with MS Money. I download financial data all the time to mine. All my CC data, and some of the bank balances.

Nope, I'm using the Money Plus Sunset Deluxe that came out when they stopped all the updates. As long as banks and CC companies continue to support Money-type files, it's no biggie. I download all my statements to MS Money, easy peasy.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I started off with a program called "Dollars and $ense" for my Apple //e. Eventually switched to Money. And then over to "GnuCash". I like GnuCash - and I'd recommend anyone give it a try.

https://www.gnucash.org/features.phtml

The cost is $0.00

fj12ryder wrote:

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
opensource (free) gnucash is what i switched to when quicken became too bloated and non functional. works on multiple platforms.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TEO wrote:
I have been using Quicken for eons and it has evolved from floppy disc to much, much more. Still, I'm only at the elementary stage. My program is used for my checking, credit cards, and cash. My bills are not paid through Quicken and I don't download information from my bank. Is there a free, very simple program that will do the job?

Thanks,

Paul

we also use Quicken (like you we date back to the floppy disc versions). all of our usual bills (utilities, cable, phone) are all auto-debited from the checking account each month. we get an e-mail with the amount and debit date which is then entered into quicken. for those uncommon bills such as auto insurance I just go to the company's web site and set up an auto-pay. virtually all of our income is direct-deposited also.

if you don't want to do that your bank may have a bill pay feature.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still using my Quicken 99 and it works fine. I don't use it to interact with the internet at all so I am sure I will continue to use it for the foreseeable future..
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

For many years I used Microsoft Money on various Windows platforms.
Fantastic program and so very simple to use, much easier than Quicken.
They discontinued it about 5 years or so ago and quit supporting it a couple years later, much to my dismay. It was a fantastic program.

But!!
They released a free final version with no registration necessary for up to Win 7.

3 nights ago I downloaded it and successfully installed it on my Windows 10 machine. Ran into a couple hiccups along the way. I ignored a couple messages about incompatibility and told it to install anyways and got it installed.

So far so good, seems to work OK.

I highly recommend MS Money. I think they call it Money Plus Sunset Deluxe or something like that. Came out in 2010 for free.
There is no live support and no online features but I really don't care about that stuff.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Why can't you just keep using Quicken? You don't have to get the new version if you don't download or pay bills.

This.
The last upgraded version I got was 2007. It loaded and works fine on Win 7.
It is, I believe, the last version where the totals on a report come out on the bottom of the last page, conventional style, instead of at the top of the first page, which I hate.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"