cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart phone use as a wi-fi "hot spot"

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a "smart" phone which can be used as a wi-fi "hot spot" for use in accessing the Internet on my other devices (tablet and laptop). (Currently only have a "dumb" flip-phone and use a Mi-Fi device for Internet access). Is anyone doing this and does it work as well as a Mi-Fi device? Thanks!

Doug
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy
27 REPLIES 27

MrWizard
Power management settings also affect this
If you have power management for longer battery life turned on
It will turn of any app it deems as being inactive
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
The only issue I have is that if the connection is not active, the smart phone turns off the hotspot feature. This is done to save on battery life, but it means that it has to be turned back on each and every time you wish to access the wobbly wide web.

This is a setting on my Note 5. I select how long the hotspot remains active with no activity. 30 minutes works well for me.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DouglasC wrote:
It's an android based tablet so I want an android based smart phone so the learning curve will be shorter.

Be sure to consider the Google Store and their Nexus phones as an android phone source. I have the Nexus 5X with my Verizon service and love it. Price is right and they are clean android phones without phone company (e.g. Samsung) or carrier (e.g. Verizon) bloat applications.

Plus you own the phone so have no contract with the carrier although those seem to be going away anyway.

The hotspot on the Nexus 5X works great.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
... note: It's not only some Android phones that can't be using the internet and be on a call at the same time. Older iPhones on Verizon have the same issue. Just do your research before making a purchasing decision.

In order to do simultaneous voice/data, you need to have a phone that has that capability (as far as I know, that includes all newer phones) AND you must be connected via 4G. A phone connected via 3G or 1X cannot do simultaneous voice/data.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We have two phones with hotspots, a phone that only tethers, a air card that plugs right into the computer and two hotspots. Except that they are on diffeent carriers, you can't tell the difference in use.

Now it's harder to put the aircard or tethered phone any distance away where it may get a better signal. On the other hand they have no wireless to be hacked into either.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only issue I have is that if the connection is not active, the smart phone turns off the hotspot feature. This is done to save on battery life, but it means that it has to be turned back on each and every time you wish to access the wobbly wide web.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Change to one of the newer phones that has the Band 12 radio inside. Coverage is dramatically better and so is speed.

Oasisbob wrote:
Yes, It works as well as your signal. We have T Mobile so coverage of any quality is rare
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had Sprint, didn't work. Now that I have Verizon, works like a champ.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me put it this way.. I have used both a Verizon Jet pack, and my T-Mobile Smart Phone.. The differences are.. Well there are differneces in coverage between T-mobile and Verizon, that is the only real difference.

If I have the same grade of coverage in on both devices, They are identical save that with SOME Smart phones if a call comes in your internet is cut off.

I do not **THINK** My Samsung Galaxy S-III did that nor do I **THINK** my S-5 does it but older phones I had DID do it.

I know I have surfed on the phone while in a call. (just can't recall if I did computer and phone at the same time, Been a couple years since I had the chance)

Where I'm at now Phone is.. A wi-fi Client (Computer) calls are VoIP since cell coverage ....sucks... (T-mobile) but that's a special case.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments - - very good info to digest. Used to be that I was one of the 1st to try out new technology but in recent years I've been dragging my feet in getting into the latest technology. I resisted getting a tablet for several years but have had one now for almost 3 years and love it! It's an android based tablet so I want an android based smart phone so the learning curve will be shorter.

I do know about using lots of data - - I'm currently on a 14GB/mo. plan with my Mi-Fi and expect to have at least a 10GB plan on the smart phone using it as a wi-fi hot spot.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the data usage. We have a 5 GB per month limit and routinely go over when in Florida for a month where the campground WiFi is not adequate (most of them). Forget about streaming movies.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
I use a Samsung Note 5 smartphone for my internet 8 months/year as a campground host. To make it easier for me to use the internet on various devices as well as a wireless printer, I also have a Pepwave SOHO. The SOHO picks up the wifi signal from the Note 5 and creates another hot spot which I use for normal internal activity. This way I can use another source of wifi for the SOHO if one is available such as campground wifi, etc. And setting up my printer is easier with the SOHO and I can use the printer while connected using campground wifi if it exists. It sounds complicated but it isn't. I just turn on the mobile hot spot on my Note 5, the SOHO picks it up automatically (after it is set up initially) and rebroadcasts my own network. Works like a champ.

Using a cellular capable router with WiFi as Wan capabilities (like the SoHo or WiFi Ranger Go2) is an excellent setup. If you choose to also use a supported/compatible MiFi/Jetpack device that can be tethered directly to the router, you'll get a bit better speeds.

I use that setup and testing shows that you do loose some speed when using WiFi as WAN over direct tether. (You can't tether a phone)

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Samsung Note 5 smartphone for my internet 8 months/year as a campground host. To make it easier for me to use the internet on various devices as well as a wireless printer, I also have a Pepwave SOHO. The SOHO picks up the wifi signal from the Note 5 and creates another hot spot which I use for normal internal activity. This way I can use another source of wifi for the SOHO if one is available such as campground wifi, etc. And setting up my printer is easier with the SOHO and I can use the printer while connected using campground wifi if it exists. It sounds complicated but it isn't. I just turn on the mobile hot spot on my Note 5, the SOHO picks it up automatically (after it is set up initially) and rebroadcasts my own network. Works like a champ.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Will it work? Absolutely. Is it the best way to connect? It all depends on how you use the internet.

If you only have one smart phone and the smart phone leaves with its owner (to play golf, go shopping, etc) that leaves all other devices without internet access.

If there are two people and each have their own smart phone, that problem is resolved. Or if you don't use the internet much and are always together . . . no problem.

note: It's not only some Android phones that can't be using the internet and be on a call at the same time. Older iPhones on Verizon have the same issue. Just do your research before making a purchasing decision.