cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Software Question

VAHillbilly
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered a mid level laptop. It will come with Windows 8.1 but anticipate upgrading to Windows 10. Before retiring I used Excel frequently and needed some of the more advanced features. Now I just need basic spreadsheet and Word type software but would like something that could open and Edit Microsoft Excel and Word files.

Are there any economical options that would fit my needs?
15 REPLIES 15

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are my Libre Office results from 2 straightforward files. Latest version 4.4.4.3

102 page Word 7 docx file with a 2 column table of contents, Heading 1, Heading 2 and Normal text and page numbers. Nothing fancy just information Iโ€™ve connected on rv.net. It loaded in an acceptable 5 seconds vs Wordโ€™s 2 seconds. The TOC has some kind of 2 column outline mode but only the left column is used. The body has no page numbers which is unacceptable. The Libre document now has 140 pages with lots of text that are not in the Word document. It is text that I recognize and likely deleted. I may have started with a similar but different file but made a lot of changes. Perhaps the data is saved as hidden text in Word? I assign this conversion a grade F - total conversion failure.

I guess the Libre Writer has some value but the conversion is totally hosed.

14 column x 9501 row Excel 7 file. The file is collected solar data with 2 small graphs and very minimum formulas to compute. The Excel file took 50 seconds to load with Libre vs 3 seconds for Excel. Saving the file as a OCD file it then took 30 seconds to load. Briefly the data looked OK. Grade C.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
LibreOffice or OpenOffice either one. Best part is that they are FREE.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use open office.. Been using it for years across several versions of Windoze.

Worked once for a political campaign (We won) and they used Microsoft spread sheets.. I was able to open, edit, save and create with Open Office not problem.

Oh, and did I mention.. We Won.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Explorer
Explorer
LibreOffice. LibreOffice is developed by the two who first developed OpenOffice but they did not like where the company was going with Openoffice. They split off and put out LibreOffice which is kept nicely up to date. It looks very much like Open Office and if you know MS Office it works the same way. You can open any Microsoft Office file (except Access) both new and old, plus save to be compatible with new or old versions of MS Office. Can't beat it - its free!
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tried Libre, tried WPS. Liked WPS better so that's what I have been using for the last couple of years.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy Libre Office user here.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
King Office Suite is nice & easy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use LIBRA OFFICE here...

LIBRA OFFICE also has a nice drawing package that can save drawings in PDF format... I use that here since I could not afford my AUTOCAD stuff from work when I retired.

LIBRA OFFICE is a free download...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Libre x27
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
WPS Office suite. Free

WPS Office Suite
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Libre Office.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Libre Office. Same as OO but more stable and more updated.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Or... Libre Office.Read about it here

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
FrankShore wrote:
Open Office!
X2
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller