cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some TV's get cable, some do not...WHY?!?!?

KMartinCPA1966
Explorer
Explorer
I'm usually pretty savvy about tech issues, but this has me stumped....

My Class A has 5 TV's, they all work, all get OTA TV signals, etc...

This week was the first time we tried to connect to the local RV Resort's cable...some of the TV's receive/process the signal fine, but 2 do not. I checked every option to include taking all TV's down and hooking them directly to park's outside cable. I EVEN BOUGHT A BRAND NEW TV... and it did not receive/process the cable signal either (returned it). It's not the Antenna/Cable option, it's not the cables, it has nothing to do with anything other than something must be different about how the sets are receiving/processing the signal. Tuner issues? Has anyone ever heard of this situation? I scanned the Internet and came across several who described the same situation, but ultimately were fed lines about splitters, new cables, etc. Please....these TV's were all hooked up directly to the outside cable...literally, you could unplug the coax from one TV that worked fine, plug it into a different TV (even the brand new one) and it wouldn't find a signal. If I had hair, I would pull it all out!!!

One of the TV's that receives channels is a Vizio D32f-F1...the brand new one that would not find channels (using the exact same coax staight from the outside box) was a Vizio D32h-j04.

Could it be an age thing? The Vizio that receives/processes the local cable is 2018 and the newer TV was 2023...would that matter?
22 REPLIES 22

KMartinCPA1966
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, you clearly aren't reading the main thread. The TV's were not connected inside the RV. They were connected directly to the cable box at the 50/30amp post. This has absolutely nothing to do with internal RV cables, boxes, antennas...nil. All of the TV's were disconnected and set-up outside and tested individually...all scanned for antenna and cable...some found channels...some did not. It has to be something to do with the type of signal and/or tuners. Older sets (2018) seem to find channels fine...newer sets did not.

MrWizard
My Vizio is older model M320NV,
On mine use menu button
Goto settings
Tuner
Choose Cable
Then do a channel scan
I Believe there was a change in FCC regulations a few years ago, regarding tuners and encrypted cable, and wether or not that capability had to be included, you have TV's with different model numbers, it's possible those that won't receive/ display the cable signal can not decrypt it, the software in the tuner is not programed for it, or the tuner lacks the chip that provides the reception for the frequency the cable signal is on

Click For Full-Size Image.

Both models of your TVs list "Clear QAM" for the tuner, neither can decrypt encoded cable , according to the manuals and the listed capabilities, he tuners have the same ability,
But clearly they do not, how does the picture compare if connected to your RV antenna, maybe the new model has a weaker tuner that needs a stronger signal from the cable, (yes I know Digital is usually on or frozen , no such thing as a snowy image) (but it will jitter, jump and freeze, new image then freeze when there is variation in signal strength) , I wonder if a TV signal amplifier between cable and the TV would help,
There was time before I moved to Calif, when I worked as tech for the local cable company back in Hoosier Land,
Long long time before DTV, but I do remember a few things I learned back then
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
rk911: good point!
Having various locations for TVs would also require a splitter somewhere.
Or video switch

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
could it be a cabling problem in the RV? before the old TV's were replaced were those that did not rcv cable in the same location as the new TVs that don't rcv cable? do you have a box-of-many-buttons?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

KMartinCPA1966
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, yes, and yes... INPUT was set correctly, scanned on "Antenna" and "Cable", walked through the set up several times and had the Vizio rep on the phone with me for over 45min. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with 2018 models/tuners vs newer models/tuners. Guys, seriously, not user error here...I'm above average on technology...but can't for the life of me figure out the answer. Thought maybe a TV or Cable Guru could educate me...

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
you will likely need to tell the TV if you are searching OTA channels, Cable channels or sat channels, or a combo. each has different frequency allocations and in most cased the TV needs to have the search set accordingly. some tv's will do combo's automatically, some require you to select.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you change the settings on the TV from OTA to Cable? Then do a serch for chanels?
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the new TV input correct?
Smart TV seems to act dumb!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker