cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Something New or Old? Never seen it before..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth.. This morning I turned on my Windows 10 Desktop computer and once on line the screen flashed.. Didn't pay much attention but then about 15 seconds later noticed that the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Detection program had been disabled on bottom tray.. within 30 seconds a very official Windows Alert appeared on my screen (I immediately knew it was a scam).. The person talking had a foreign accent, and warned me about this / that and if I shut the computer off, everything would be lost.. AGAIN BS.. I did notice that it would now allow the screen / mouse curser to go anywhere near the Red X to close the page.. It was locked within the confines of their message block.. I just unplugged the computer, restarted it and all is fine.. Just wanted to see if anybody else experienced this today and JUST BEWARE..
14 REPLIES 14

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
He did not say he was having a conversation, he said someone was talking to him. Not hard to understand that with this intrusion and attempt to scam someone that a recording would come into play.
Splitting hairs has become a popular thing I guess
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
I also run Norton Power Eraser free version and it cleans any thing Malwarebytes misses! So tired of scum trying to get something for free without working for it!

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
ctrl/alt/del

AKA: Three Finger Salute.
Bob

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
ctrl/alt/del
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
rk911 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Didn't pay much attention but then about 15 seconds later noticed that the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Detection program had been disabled on bottom tray.. within 30 seconds a very official Windows Alert appeared on my screen (I immediately knew it was a scam).. The person talking had a foreign accent, and warned me about this / that and if I shut the computer off, everything would be lost..

You turned on your desktop, went online, then all of a sudden anti virus is disabled - and then someone is talking to you? :H

what's so hard to understand about that?

Well, my guess is that 2012Coleman is like me and never has an active speaker on my PC unless I turn it on explicitly. No one can speak to me on my computer because there is no ability to do so unless I turn the speaker on.

the audio from the scam web site is what I was hearing..she wasn't conversing directly with me

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
AsheGuy wrote:
No one can speak to me on my computer because there is no ability to do so unless I turn the speaker on.

the speaker(s) on our PCโ€™s are always on. maybe weโ€™re in the minority.
Maybe you are not in the minority. I usually use my laptop and usually are in the same room as my wife watching TV. So if I want to view something with sound or stream a video I just plug in my head set and don't disturb anyone. My laptop speakers are always off for that reason, and the fact that it's annoying when on Facebook or any website and a video auto-plays with sound when it comes on the screen.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
rk911 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Didn't pay much attention but then about 15 seconds later noticed that the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Detection program had been disabled on bottom tray.. within 30 seconds a very official Windows Alert appeared on my screen (I immediately knew it was a scam).. The person talking had a foreign accent, and warned me about this / that and if I shut the computer off, everything would be lost..

You turned on your desktop, went online, then all of a sudden anti virus is disabled - and then someone is talking to you? :H

Well, my guess is that 2012Coleman is like me and never has an active speaker on my PC unless I turn it on explicitly. No one can speak to me on my computer because there is no ability to do so unless I turn the speaker on.

the speaker(s) on our PCโ€™s are always on. maybe weโ€™re in the minority.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You can download a free copy of MalwareBytes and scan your PC with it to find PUPs - possibly unwanted programs.

It's free and it's the best you can do to protect yourself. The paid version runs in the background but you need to run scans manually with the free version.

It's a bargain you shouldn't pass up.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Down here in the heart of overpopulation, we get those once a month. More frequent is the call to our landline with basically the same thing. "Give them your online address and they'll fix it for you for $20. Or your Windows license is about to end send mega bucks for a new update and lifetime license.

As suggested, I turn it off and run my VP.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i had something similar happen on our Win7 machine a few months ago. no voice just the flashing screen. i just turned off the PC, waited a bit and fired it up.

and we received a call a few months before that incident. fellow claimed to be from Microsoft and asked me to go to my PC. i played with him a bit telling him we didn't have a computer. what number did you call? that's not our number. what name are you calling? that sounds like the people who we bought the house from. what's the problem with their computer? really? wow. i might have their new number, i'll go look. hang on. i put the phone down. when i came back in a couple of minutes the mook had hung up.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Now....run a vigorous "full virus scan."
Maybe with whatever you have installed and certainly with "Malwarebytes."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax