cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming and Blackouts

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Can someone explain why a home game team - Rays vs Red Sox - plays on Apple TV app but is blacked out at home. We live in Tampa area and Apple is requiring us to buy the app monthly to watch it on my phone -

Baseball on my phone ?? Not for this fan, we bought a big screen to watch sports. I can't imagine watching a baseball game on a 2x4 inch screen. But I thought it was illegal to black out a home game and force us to pay for home team.

We normally get Rays games - home and away - on our cable. But tonight it's not on, but only Apple app.

I'm pretty confused - if anyone can explain why, I'd appreciate it.
Thx M44
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
12 REPLIES 12

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
That's the same with MLB and NFL ... you can watch any game, but not your home team. Great for those that travel a lot, but not worth it for those that are at home more than they travel.

We almost bought that last season, until we realized 'no home market teams'...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes nothing bugs me more than the NHL "all access pass" that excludes your home team.
I don't want to manage three subscriptions to consistently watch the game.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, sports were once entertainment, and still masqurades as entertainment, but the players salaries escalated -- win, win, win at all costs - and force it into big business, and the fans pay, and pay, and pay. At some point, we'll not pay it and what will the owners do then. When fans have to choose between eating, heat, or 'entertainment', what do we think will go first?

As it is now, we get half the time game, and half the time commmercials. This might be our last season for baseball. NFL and NBA went away in our home already ... plenty things to do without it - HA, more camping.
It's unfortunate, but true. We tried to find a way to watch some sports without commercials - even if we paid extra - but it seems even with pay, you can't delete commercials... Well, some pay-per-view events, but I'll bet those will disappear soon. And, the more venues that divide the pie will reduce revenue for each venue as well. The more tech-complex it becomes, the more fans it will lose too. If you can't connect, you can't watch - so revenue dives again.

Remember when National Geographic was commercial free - great education programs- Not anymore. Fox bought the rights, and wholla, commercial TV cut parts out and fit in commercials.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Basically, we're not worried about expense or inexpense ... we're upset that we already pay for Rays and Lightning games on cable ... and that Apple+ wants us to enroll in its app for one game. I'd rather miss it, as it seems slightly devious to me. It takes one minute to enroll and autopay, and five hours on the phone to dis-enroll.

Plus, neither one of us is tech-smart, as is true of many seniors. Some are, some are not. And generally, when we try to connect thru various media simultaniously, we usually fail. We pay for certain services and expect it to work when we turn it on and should not be required to become tech acrobats once we enroll, nor be required to connect thru multiple media apps to multi-connect that media. It seems we learn one, get accustomed to using it, then some tech wizard discovers a new and more complex method ... and loses many of its customers or fails to gain new customers due to the complexity of engaging that once simple but now complex service.

We know many of you all grew up with tech, and have been adapting all your lives, but many of us seniors have not. It seems we need to learn another degree or profession to remain updated and enjoy what we're been able to enjoy in the past without taking a course in how to manage those changes.

A little ranting here, I suppose. But technology claims to simplify our lives, when in fact it does not. Sure, we like the convenience, the internet, digital videos, wifi, cell phones, but only when we can take simplified advantage of it without piling on this fee and that fee, and combining or confusing the applications to the point where we give it up completely.

As usual, we're happy RV.net is active, and you tech guys are willing to assist. Makes our day. Thanks to you all >>> M44 & Genie ...

This is REALLY simple, not techy at all. Just plug one end into your Apple phone and then plug an HDMI cable into it.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
The sports channel we watch every night carries Rays games home and away all season. Except this game tonight - or maybe one or two other nights.

But, if I understand these answers ... Apple+ bought one single game to display on it's service and blacked it out at home unless you buy Apple+ app at $4.99 a monty - for that one game. I know, it gets other things too, but in this case, it only bought one game and 'forces' us to pay for its service for that one game.

I know, it gives seven days free as an enticement, but I tried that, and it wants me to sign up for the service first, so you get five weeks for a four weeks fee. Big Deal. Then you can cancel, but who wants to try any cancellation on a phone tree in this day and age. Personally, I'd just miss the game, but refuse be forced into buying any service I would not normally buy anyway. We already pay for three services now, so that will suffice.

So, thanks for the info guys ...

Blame the team and the league. Evidently They sold all the Friday night games to appletv exclusively. Apple also bought all World soccer if I remember correctly as I rarely watch baseball or soccer .. .
This is the way of the future as teams look for ways to make more money that over the air tv won’t pay. They put the games up for bid No different than Espn. Via your cable, part of your fee is for espn ……. apple paid more than espn fox etc. yes it makes it a pita
Bill

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Basically, we're not worried about expense or inexpense ... we're upset that we already pay for Rays and Lightning games on cable ... and that Apple+ wants us to enroll in its app for one game. I'd rather miss it, as it seems slightly devious to me. It takes one minute to enroll and autopay, and five hours on the phone to dis-enroll.

Plus, neither one of us is tech-smart, as is true of many seniors. Some are, some are not. And generally, when we try to connect thru various media simultaniously, we usually fail. We pay for certain services and expect it to work when we turn it on and should not be required to become tech acrobats once we enroll, nor be required to connect thru multiple media apps to multi-connect that media. It seems we learn one, get accustomed to using it, then some tech wizard discovers a new and more complex method ... and loses many of its customers or fails to gain new customers due to the complexity of engaging that once simple but now complex service.

We know many of you all grew up with tech, and have been adapting all your lives, but many of us seniors have not. It seems we need to learn another degree or profession to remain updated and enjoy what we're been able to enjoy in the past without taking a course in how to manage those changes.

A little ranting here, I suppose. But technology claims to simplify our lives, when in fact it does not. Sure, we like the convenience, the internet, digital videos, wifi, cell phones, but only when we can take simplified advantage of it without piling on this fee and that fee, and combining or confusing the applications to the point where we give it up completely.

As usual, we're happy RV.net is active, and you tech guys are willing to assist. Makes our day. Thanks to you all >>> M44 & Genie ...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a one time thing, maybe it's a good excuse to take a night out, hit a sports bar, enjoy a meal and a few beers with fellow fans as you watch the game.
It doesn't fix the "free at home" issue, but it could make the pill a little less bitter going down.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get the game on your phone, have you tried using an HDMI adapter from your phone to an HDMI cable and connecting to your TV's HDMI port?

These work for most programming (if you get an Apple certified brand) and it's an inexpensive solution. If you purchase one from Amazon, if it doesn't work you can return it.

It's simple and easy to use, just plug and play.

Here's an example

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The sports channel we watch every night carries Rays games home and away all season. Except this game tonight - or maybe one or two other nights.

But, if I understand these answers ... Apple+ bought one single game to display on it's service and blacked it out at home unless you buy Apple+ app at $4.99 a monty - for that one game. I know, it gets other things too, but in this case, it only bought one game and 'forces' us to pay for its service for that one game.

I know, it gives seven days free as an enticement, but I tried that, and it wants me to sign up for the service first, so you get five weeks for a four weeks fee. Big Deal. Then you can cancel, but who wants to try any cancellation on a phone tree in this day and age. Personally, I'd just miss the game, but refuse be forced into buying any service I would not normally buy anyway. We already pay for three services now, so that will suffice.

So, thanks for the info guys ...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did a quick search and it appears apple bought the rights to Friday night baseball “ broadcast” . Right now it appears as free on the app. As I said prior the app is not exclusive to the apple phone. Appletv+ is separate.
Bill

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plus the “Apple TV “ app isn’t just to play for your phone. It can be on any smart tv. It’s a steaming service, like Netflix. Roku, firetv , androidtv, etc all have the appletv app.
Most home games in most sports are blacked out around the actual game location on non paying tv , aren’t they? Most teams require it so attendance at the game isn’t harmed. It’s always been that way hasn’t it?
I would bet appletv bought the rights to the game and your cable company doesn’t have them.
Bill

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Rules of the league.