cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming movies from IPad to TV in camper

duffy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I'm wondering : if I have a movie already downloaded on my iPhone or iPad, can I stream it to the tv in my RV when there is not reliable wifi and withhout using my iPhone or iPad hotspot? I do have an older version of Apple TV that I could put in the camper. I'm worried about using too much data if I use the hotspot. I'm not too great with tech issues. Thanks in advance to,all who take the time to respond.
26' RSB Born Free Class C

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
15 REPLIES 15

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
duffy wrote:
So, Jeff, are you saying that this wire will simply let anything on my IPad travel to my TV screen with no wifi, no router, no Bluetooth, etc.? And I would not be using my Apple TV device either?

I am asking this because most campgrounds have very poor wifi and I don't want to pay for the data required to watch a downloaded movie. My plan is to download several movies to my IPad and watch them in the RV later.
yes. The only exception I have seen so far is ************** of DitecTV that appears to be blocked. But this is the ONLY issue
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the lightning adapter and a cable to connect to my TV. I have a 15 foot cable, so the iPhone is pretty much in my hand, also. I have unlimited data, so this is how I watch the Spurs games, since they are rarely on local channels in the parks. I use the Fox2GO app. The picture quality is amazing. It's just like being at home, hooked up to cable.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We use one of these to connect from iPad or IPhone. It connects to the TV via HDMI on you TV. If the video is already downloaded no need for data connection. It mirrors what every is on the device to your TV screen. $39.99 on Amazon Prime. We are also able to use our Amazon Prime video using this cable adapter.

Apple lighting AV adapter

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
You never said what kind of TV you have.
I have a Samsung and all I have to do is plug in a thumb drive in the USB port.
It will play music, photos, videos/movies.
A 32 gig drive is cheap and will hold a lot.

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
I use the adapter to connect to my TV. I received it as a gift. Just checked Best Buy last weekend wow they sell for $60. Had no idea my family loved me that much. It works great.
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
You said the movie is already resident in the iPad, correct?
So the answer is Yes you can. Apple makes a Lightening to HDMI adapter that works just fine. It's a new technology called wire. ๐Ÿ™‚

X2. That is what we use. Just plug hdmi into it then to tv.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Apple tv does not use any data or need a router. Appletv and your iphone talk directly to each other over THEIR wifi, not thru a router.

No data from the internet or the campground is required.

You can use the cable but why when you already have a Apple tv?

Plus with a cable you have to get up and walk to the iphone to pause, start, etc.

With Appletv your phone will be in your hand.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

robreab
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the cable specs say it's compatible with your specific series of iPad. All iPads are not equal.
2006 31' Holiday Rambler Atlantis SE Ford E450 Gas
Towing a 2006 Camry/Master Tow dolly

duffy
Explorer
Explorer
So, Jeff, are you saying that this wire will simply let anything on my IPad travel to my TV screen with no wifi, no router, no Bluetooth, etc.? And I would not be using my Apple TV device either?

I am asking this because most campgrounds have very poor wifi and I don't want to pay for the data required to watch a downloaded movie. My plan is to download several movies to my IPad and watch them in the RV later.
26' RSB Born Free Class C

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You already have Apple TV. Use that. It does not use Bluetooth though. It uses WiFi. But it connects directly. You don't need a router.

I have done this.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Read this...
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/24/connect-iphone-ipad-to-tv-hdmi/

It simply converts your TV into a huge monitor. Whatever you do on your iPdad is duplicated on the TV.
Make sure you get the right one for old or new iPad

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
So the answer is Yes you can. Apple makes a Lightening to HDMI adapter that works just fine. It's a new technology called wire. ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't know you could simply use a wire! Sometimes the best solution is the simplest I suppose.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
A quick bit of Google-fu found this:

4) If you have established a Wi-Fi network on your mobile device go to your settings and forget the Wi-Fi network. 5) Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on both your mobile device and your Apple TV. 6) Go to the Control Center Menu to access AirPlay by swiping up on the bottom of your device. 7) Push the AirPlay button.

It looks like you can connect the iPad to Apple TV via bluetooth, but you have to tell the devices to forget whatever WiFi network they are used to connecting to, if any. This way, the devices are talking to each other directly, not via a hot spot, router, etc.