cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

stumped !! Fixed!!

Explorer
Explorer
YAHOO !!!!! I ran a coax from my garage to the "cable in" on the switcher and everything works perfect. It was a faulty " to TV" coax connector on the dish receiver. Thanks for everyones suggestions!

I have a 2002 winnabago adventurer 32k. I have a Carryout dish which I hooked up to the cable in box in the basement and then put the dish 211k receiver in the overhead cabinet where the switcher is. I attached the cable in to the dish receiver and then a coax out of the receiver to the cable in of the switch box. I then powered up the dish 211k receiver and got signal but the picture on both tvs is barely watchable because its snowy . Now both of these tvs have a clear picture when using the vhs player or dvd player so its not the TV's. I brought in a led tv and hooked it up with a coax and it was snowy also and then I used a hdmi cable and the picture is perfect so the Dish receiver is working properly. Im thinking the coax output of the Dish Receiver is bad. Anyone else have anyother ideas? One last thing I did was take my standard def Dish receiver output that I have in my garage ad hooked it up to the switcher and it too produced a snowy picture. I have checked all the cables and they all work fine.
12 REPLIES 12

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the fix. Sometimes we overlook the obvious. I have had Sat/Cable TV problems many times that were caused by failure of small connectors that were a "Bear" to find but should have been checked from the beginning. Glad you solved the problem.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you do not use a digital to analog converter with the satellite coax output as it's already analog.
You may have a bad switch on the controller box. I would try moving the output from the receiver to a different input or, if the VHS has been connected to that same port, maybe the issue is with the receivers output or one of the cable connections.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Explorer
Explorer
I do have the cable button pushed in and I am getting a picture , its just not clear like it is when I use the VHS player. These are the original TV sets so Im wondering doI need a digital converter? I have old TVs at home I am using with a HiDef sat receiver and I have no problems.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you want to watch satellite, are you sure you have the button pushed labeled Cable and you have you TV set tuned to either channel 3 or 4? If you have a newer digital TV that shows channels 3.1, 4.1 etc. you may have to do a secondary channel scan with the Cable button pushed and the TV set set to Antenna (not Cable) for the TV to "discover" the required analog channel.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I did not explain completely. Here goes: Cable from carrout Sat dish goes from Carryout to the "cable in" port in the basement. The cable from that port goes to the back of the switchbox and I disconnected it from there and attached it to the "sat in" on the back of the Dish 211k receiver. I have then attached a cable from the "TV out of the Dish 211K to the "cable in" port of the switchbox. I get a snowy picture on both TV's. When I attach a HDMI cable from the back of the Dish receiver to another small LED TV the picture is perfect so I know that the signal coming from the dish , going thru the cable in port in the basement and connecting to the Dish receiver is all good because the tv connected to the receiver via HDMI cable is perfect. I also took the cable coming from the main tv to the switchbox and disconnected it and pluged it directly into the "TVout " port on the receiver and the picture was still snowy so now I know that it isn't the switchbox.
I thank everyone for their time and great suggestions . This and all the other forums on RV.Net have saved me a lot of time and money.
Thanks
Dan

bob_and_donna
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my carry out for 3 years now.I have found that the coach wiring will not work with my sat box. As Bill said I run thru the window and hook directly to the box. When programing the box I choose the 2 port selection in the programing and the 18" round sat dish. works every time.Hope that helps.
2012 MVP Thaho 19 RBS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cable connection is for cable only and cannot be used as it stands for the use of satellite. Cable and satellite are not the same.
Also, turning the Winegard power supply on or off does not change this rule.
Now, depending upon how your coach is wired you may be able to modify the cable wiring to make it work with your satellite system or you may have to run a new cable or run the cable through a window depending upon how handy you are.
If you coach has a video control center with push buttons that allow you to select TV, VCR, Aux, Cable, etc. then the coax from outside runs to the back of this controller. You can remove the coax cabled Cable and run that directly to the satellite receiver. You now can't use cable unless you reconnect to the controller (you can also add and A/B switch to that cable and send one output to the satellite receiver or back into the controller.
If you don't have this then you coax cable most likely runs to that Winegard power supply wall plate. But again you cannot use that as it stands. You would need to remove the wall plate and look for the one cable that it connected to the circuit board and labeled cable. Remove this coax and run it directly to the satellite receiver. Again, no cable now but you could also setup an A/B switch for this connection that would allow to use either with the push of a button.
A few RV's are setup such that the Cable input runs through a series of splitters to get the signal to all TV's. If this turns out to be the case in your RV then the Cable input cannot be used at all for a satellite connection.

conmoto
Explorer
Explorer
The TV to the bedroom will be snowy for us if I do not push the right button (sat for tv 2)on the box with many buttons. I have also had the snowy pic when a coax cable became frayed from travel.

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it's the carryout or the cable or the receiver - I think you have noise in your switchbox or bad cables.

Digital satellite pictures are no longer snowy - they break up and smear and fracture so a snowy picture indicates some sort of interference after the DVR.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If the TV is digital did you do a channel scan so it can find the sat receiver? or are you using other input source? Since you said it will work on HDMI cable? It has to do with your TV programing, JMHO. Gary

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try a AB switch to bypass the the switch box..
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I think the manual for the Carry out states the cable from the Carry out must be run directly to the receiver, i.e. not through any switch box.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)