cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions, software for laptop mapping and GPS--solved

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since S&T's is no more, I'm looking for program to plan route on laptop(still use GPS receiver), and be able to export route to Garmin. Don't find much with search. One I did find that sounded good was Garmin Mobile PC, but it seems to be discontinued.

Jim

Downloaded CoPilot software for platform, downloaded maps I wanted,$20. Obtained BU-354 GPS receiver, $30. Created first route to try it out, works as it should. Quite different from S&T's, but has many of the same features. Thanks to all who responded.

Jim
38 REPLIES 38

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
. . . Internal GPS receiver recommended.

I don't get it.
If you would be so kind, one more time?
That would be for a laptop with an internal GPS? Their website isn't very clear.
But then, the OP is not specific either.
So. . .CoPilot shows real time position on the laptop in relation to the trip route?

Here is how Streets & Trips works: a laptop, a bluetooth gps receiver connected in real time to Streets & Trips.
The laptop shows current real time position and the planned route ahead.

For full size image click here
(Image is of a 2in1 laptop in tablet mode.)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Fizz wrote:
The search is for a mapping app that runs on a laptop and can use a GPS module like Streets & Trips

It doesn't exist.

ONE MORE TIME

https://copilotgps.com/en-us/store/

Right on the front page.

Built with drivers in mind, CoPilot is always ready to guide you with impeccable navigation and directions, powerful trip planning, lightning-fast offline maps and much more.

Offline, detailed street maps of USA & Canada.

Requires Windows 7, 8 or 10. Internal GPS receiver recommended.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
The search is for a mapping app that runs on a laptop and can use a GPS module like Streets & Trips

It doesn't exist.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fizz wrote:
CoPilot for Windows

. . .It seems to be the only one available for PC or laptop and it's only $20.
It's that or nothing.

Not really.
BaseCamp works on a PC. And you can follow BaseCamp's user forum for additional information.

And for an Apple mapping product you might try: inRoute Planner and GPS Navigator

BaseCamp is free from Garmin. It works differently from Streets & Trips.
As technology advances, we either keep up or get left in the dust.

I currently employ Google Maps, BaseCamp, Streets & Trips.
As I chip away at the BaseCamp learning curve I tend to use the other maps less and less.

My FASTEST method of developing a list of way points is to use Google Maps (there's a learning curve there too).
Then export the Google waypoints to a KMX file.
Import the KMX file into BaseCamp, add stop overs, optimize the route and make it how I want.
When the route is finished in BaseCamp, I export it to my Garmin GPS.

We like to go weekend estate sale shopping - I might lookup six addresses on Google Maps - add them as "destinations" in Google, then export to BaseCamp - optimize the route and export it to the GPS.

When traveling the wine country: Great way to find wineries, plot out a quick route, then go do some wine tasting!:)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Fizz wrote:
CoPilot for Windows
Has anybody tried this? The price is $19.99 but there is no trial version available.

It seems to be the only one available for PC or laptop and it's only $20.
It's that or nothing.

I have and use the iPad version all the time, works for me.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There used to be many competing programs
S&T though no longer in production you might get lucky on E-bay et-al
Though it's not been updated in what, 5 years, roads do not change that much.

Street Atlas (Rand McNalley)

Co-Pilot

I can't help you with others, Used to use Street Atlas at work (Half the computers had it, the other half S&T) and actually liked it a bit better than S&T but went with S&T for life on the road

Co-Pilot is or at least the early versions were, designed for Commercial Drivers (SEMIs) So they have special "Big Rig" features you may like.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
CoPilot for Windows
Has anybody tried this? The price is $19.99 but there is no trial version available.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim-Linda wrote:
Matt,
I did download Basecamp and began playing around with it. First thing, you need a Garmin device, such as my 1450, plugged into the laptop because... it uses the maps contained within for route planning, bummer.

Not entirely true.
You can load your Garmin GPS map onto the computer.
From within BaseCamp top menu; choose: Maps > Install Maps

Afer that, you can use the maps without connecting the GPS - do your planning and later download the route with waypoints onto the GPS.

I think that you also need the free "Garmin Express" installed (if it isn't already installed).
Also, I think that the step-by-step instructions for the process is here: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#pcbasecamp
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Jim-Linda wrote:
Matt,
I did download Basecamp and began playing around with it. First thing, you need a Garmin device, such as my 1450, plugged into the laptop because... it uses the maps contained within for route planning, bummer.

I have used both S&T's and Delorme and both much more user friendly. There are too many hoops to go through with Basecamp, so I will continue my search for a non web based program, anyone stumble across one, don't keep it a secret please.

Jim

First thing, you need a Garmin device, such as my 1450, plugged into the laptop because... it uses the maps contained within for route planning, bummer.

I do not think so. You do need a copy of City Navigator North America NT on your PC from Garmin or you can find boot-legged copies on the web.

There are too many hoops to go through with Basecamp

BaseCamp is different. It took me a while to understand it. But it may be the only NON-WEB base system that is fully supported and may be around for a while. I use it with my Garmin StreetPilot 2720 that is 6+ years old. Love it now., , , . :B
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt,

I have used both S&T's and Delorme and both much more user friendly. There are too many hoops to go through with Basecamp, so I will continue my search for a non web based program, anyone stumble across one, don't keep it a secret please.

Jim

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
You people have hit all around the real issue.

Garmin (Delorme), Microsoft, TripWizard, ALK (CoPilot) don't even care if we exist and maybe would prefer we did not. This is a real bummer. With what Garmin owns now, they could do an integrated package that even reminded you to wash the windshield.

First problem: I want a planner that has a convenient interface. Delorme and Microsoft suffered here but both had the power to make up for it. Several essential functions of both were virtual Easter Eggs in that you had to already know where they were to use them and it took in depth reading of the help to ever find them.

Second Problem: If it requires web access to be functional, it is of dubious value. Even east of the Mississippi, we can get into no coverage areas where even my hot-spot goes cold. West of the Mississippi that can be all day long unless we plan to track through an urban area.

I want a planner that I can use to assemble a 30 day excursion (about 10K miles) and know before departure where I will be sleeping and buying fuel. Sleeping can be anywhere it is legal. We rarely pay for cramp grounds when all we need is sleep. Fuel has to include anything that shows up on GasBuddy as the deal of the day along the route. Diversions are seldom cost effective.

Trip Wizard's demo package is enough to make me know that even if I could supply real time charts offline, it is not all that simple to get it to take me where I like.

There is a newer webplanner called Furkot. It does better and is free right now. But it is still web based. To make it work at all, you have to work both the forum and the help files. It is the closest I have found to SA so far.

With SA running, the navigator could have a complete picture of the situation in real time. This has been a real help when a route is suddenly blocked or the situation changes.

Thank you for listening to the old navigator's rant.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
You people have hit all around the real issue.

Garmin (Delorme), Microsoft, TripWizard, ALK (CoPilot) even care if we exist and maybe would prefer we did not. This is a real bummer, if with what Garmin owns now, they could do an integrated package that even reminded you to wash the windshield.

First problem: I want a planner that has a convenient interface. Delorme and Microsoft suffered here but both had the power to make up for it. Several essential functions of both were virtual Easter Eggs in that you had to already know where they were to use them and it took in depth reading of the help to ever find them.

Second Problem: If it requires web access to be functional, it is of dubious value. Even east of the Mississippi, we can get into no coverage areas where even my hot-spot goes cold. West of the Mississippi that can be all day long unless we plan to track through an urban area.

I want a planner that I can use to assemble a 30 day excursion (about 10K miles) and know before departure where I will be sleeping and buying fuel. Sleeping can be anywhere it is legal. We rarely pay for cramp grounds when all we need is sleep. Fuel has to include anything that shows up on GasBuddy as the deal along the route.

Trip Wizard's demo package is enough to make me know that even if I could supply real time charts offline, it is not all that simple to get it to take me where I like.

There is a newer webplanner called Furkot. It does better and is free right now. But it is still web based. To make it work at all, you have to work both the forum and the help files. It is the closest I have found to SA so far.

With SA running, the navigator could have a complete picture of the situation in real time. This has been a real help when a route is suddenly blocked.

Thank you for listening to the old navigator's rant.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.