cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of switching providers

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
We are with "Sprint" and are thinking of switching to "Verizon", which one is better?
We have had signal strength problems with Sprint. I don't know much about Verizon, but Sprints 4G signal seems to be a joke. The price of the Sprint service seems high for what you get and do not get and pay extra for.
Does anyone know if Verizon has any specials during the holiday season, that are worth waiting for? Anyone an helpful opinion on this, it would sure help.

Thanks
Barry
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)
15 REPLIES 15

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
While Verizon will very likely give you far superior coverage to Sprint, you need to check coverage maps for those areas where you tend to travel. ALL wireless carriers have gaps in coverage; some more gaps than others.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had Sprint years ago, and reception was not very good in many areas of western NY. We switched to Verizon and have never had a problem.

We switched to Straight Talk (Walmart) and made sure we stayed with the Verizon network and it's the best deal available. Made the move after my son and his wife did the same without any problems.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We used Verizon and Verizon Mi-Fi all over the US with only a couple of times that we had a weak signal. I use the Wilson Sleek with both my cell phone and my mi-fi and I can make and receive calls and get on the internet with the Sleek. 95% of the time I don't have to use the Sleek. I am very happy with Verizon. You can view their coverage map on their website to see where there are gaps.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Where we often camp...on the coast, ATT was terrible. Switched to Verizon and get very good reception/coverage.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at coverage maps from each provider? I think it comes down to who has the most towers in the areas I travel
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon coverage is better than Sprint where I travel, and Sprint is better than AT&T.

I pay $140/mo for 2 Android smartphones with 2Gb data and unlimited everything else.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Sprint ever since they bought Nextel.I recently upgraded to a smart phone ( Samsung S4).Sprint has the unlimited everything for $90 a month.We just returned from a trip to Florida.I always had phone service.The only time I didn't have data was at a remote State Park in Georgia.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
We made that switch a few years ago, and Verizon service is much better in our area. Only regret was losing the truly unlimited data with Sprint. Ask about discounts; I think its pretty much "if you're breathing" you qualify for a discount. They have quite a few.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
T Mobile has promotions going on right now and they're pretty good ones but your reception would likely not be any better than Sprint. Verizon and AT&T are probably the best nationwide coverage.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Much of Sprint's "4G" is the older WiMax technology instead of the faster LTE 4G used by Verizon. Sprint is rolling out LTE 4G in some major metorpolitan areas, but it is very spotty.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are into downstreaming video or TV and need 20GB dataplan MILLENICOM may be a good deal for your. The MILLENICOM uses the VERIZON network...

We are setup here using VERIZON MIFI and currently have grandfathered 3GB dataplan which handles our checking in with the kids, checking and paying bills on-line and some surfing the internet.

We really like the VERIZON MIFI idea as it is a stand alone unit and will provide a safe WIFI hot spot for up to five of our devices. Doesn't tie up our cellphone if we was using it in WIFI HOTSPOT mode...

The MIFI unit normally sets in WILSON SLEEK cradle with external antenna and gives us a good WIFI hot spot coverage area around our trailer. It works anywhere we can get Verizon Cell Phone service.. If we want to go long walks or sit around the beach we just bring the small MIFI unit with us and I place it in my shirt pocket... Our tablets etc work just fine then...

In my working years all across the US and off the beaten paths we never had good look with any carrier except VERIZON. Sprint doesnt work for us here at our house...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
In my area Sprint reception is lousy - everyone moved to Verizon. I recently migrated from Verizon to StraighTalk - purchased a StraighTalk phone capable using Verizon cell phone towers and I get unlimited everything for about $40 per month - wish I did it sooner.
Kevin

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sprint has some packages which include unlimited data if you use a smart phone or data plan of any kind. With Verizon you must pay for a data package and pick your limits. You can buy extra GB's if you need them.
If you are only using the service in one specific location you need to ensure the provider works well in that area. If you will be traveling, Verizon does have better coverage Nationwide than Sprint or AT&T.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know of any wireless provider that has 'specials' on service but If you are retired military or govt worker you may qualify for 25% discounts on accessories and/or a 20% discount on service plans. we've been with Verizon for years and are happy with the service/coverage, their store personnel and their phone support (which is US based).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle