cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tips or tricks for cleaning a mouse wheel?

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
An otherwise perfectly good OPTICAL mouse I have for the laptop has become become defective because of the CENTER wheel. As I move the wheel it doesn't work smoothly like it used to, moving the screen up and down. Now, the screen jumps back and forth. Obviously it is just very dirty inside.

I can find no where to take it apart. No screws, it must just pop together.

Before I break it, trying to take it apart, has anyone found a cleaner to apply to the wheel that can be rotated on the wheel to the inside of the mouse and clean the connection?

I have tried rubbing alcohol, but it only worked for a short time.

Edit: Thanks to all. I edited this OP because I wasn't clear I was working on an optical mouse, center button/wheel.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB
19 REPLIES 19

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I took mine apart and took the cat hair out of the spokes of the optical wheel. Works like new.

Now if I could only figure out how to clean my sticky-keyed keyboard...
Keyboards are easy. Unplug (obviously), then take a picture of the keyboard in case you forget where the keys go. Pop the key tops off with gentle pressure from a butter knife inserted between them.

Clean them with your favorite cleaner and make sure they're completely dry before reattaching. They should just pop back on.

The only exceptions are the large keys, such as the spacebar, shift, enter, and num pad "+" keys. Those will have a metal loop keeping them parallel when installed. Make sure to insert the bottom of the loop under the keepers on the keyboard before re-seating the keys.

Good as new!
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
He has an optical mouse, and no balls.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning mouse wheels is easy. Cleaning mouse balls takes a very small washcloth.

๐Ÿ˜„
-- Chris Bryant

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Back years ago, when mice had tails, there was a memo, allegedly from IBM as a technical bulletin, labeled "How to Clean Mouse Balls". I remember seeing it many times, but alas, IBM finally gathered all the evidence and shredded them.

It's readily available on-line: IBM mouse balls memo
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I took mine apart and took the cat hair out of the spokes of the optical wheel. Works like new.

Now if I could only figure out how to clean my sticky-keyed keyboard...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
WD40. Do not disassemble.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Walmart and get a Logitech wireless optical mouse and throw away the old one. Not worth the time to take it apart.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the ball type, where the ball meets the rollers (usually 2 - 1 for vertical 1 for horizontal) they get oily and slip causing erratic movement. You can clean them by removing the ball and use a Q-tip with alcohol or some other cleaner (even Windex). Clean the ball too.

or as others suggest get a new mouse - they are not expensive.

http://www.staples.com/computer+mouse/directory_computer+mouse?rpp=72&pn=1&sr=true
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

MattontheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
An optical mouse is way better. I haven't seen anyone using a mouse with a ball in years and years. You'll notice a big difference, and like teddychamp says, they are really inexpensive. Even a cheap one will perform better than a mouse with a ball.
Matt

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
mark5w wrote:
Good feeling to fix things yourself. Plus saved $15

๐Ÿ™‚
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Good feeling to fix things yourself. Plus saved $15
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
Are you kidding, for $15.00 you can get a new one.???
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
Here are some generic instructions: How to clean mouse scroll wheel.

If you can't find the screw holding it together, try looking under labels, rubber feet or within the battery compartment (if one exists).

Cleaning it will certainly be cheaper than replacing it as long as you don't mind taking the time to do it.

That got it. The screws were under the rubber feet. And I used the instructions to clean it up.

Thanks!!!
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Forget it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu