cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travelling with a Satellite dish and receiver

Canadian_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
If we were to use a portable dish (on a tripod) and a satellite receiver when we are travelling, is there any way that our provider would actually be able to tell that we were using a receiver away from our home location?
Denis&Susan
French River, Ontario, Canada
2018 RAM Eco-Diesel 1500, 4 x 4, Crew Cab
2016 Evergreen I-Go Cloud 184RB
15 REPLIES 15

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The footprint of 2 of the 3 satellites covers the entire US and Canada.
Yes, I know. I was just trying to say that Shaw Direct receivers could be built to function only if they get all 3 signals including G1 which is Canada only.

Of course everyone would have to upgrade their LNB to 3-sat. and I don't think everyone has yet.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The signal the Shaw customers receive IS the Canadian satellite signal while they are in the US. The footprint of 2 of the 3 satellites covers the entire US and Canada. The Bell customers are out of luck as Bell readjusted their satellite beam to cover Canada only and a tad bit of the Northern US. Shaw will likely do this with future satellites eventually eliminating the full US coverage they have now, but until that happens Shaw customers just take their receiver and go.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
There is currently no way for any satellite TV provider to know the location of a receiver unless it is connected to a phone line or internet connection.
That's certainly true. HOWEVER, if they were very serious about stopping Canadians receiving outside Canada, they could construct the firmware in the receiver to function only if it is receiving signal from the sat. whose footprint is Canada only. If you're south of the 45th parallel, no workee (unless you're close and have a BIG dish).

Currently we receive signal from the sat. with the big footprint south of the 45th but they're moving a lot of the interesting channels to the other sat.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I know. Don't take it too literally.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that's the case the answer might also be or the year after that or the year after that or the year after that.......Satellite TV is ONE WAY. There is currently no way for any satellite TV provider to know the location of a receiver unless it is connected to a phone line or internet connection.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Not this year. Maybe next.
What is this a response to?
The OP's question

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think he might be referring to a possible change in the Shaw footprint sometime in the future. If not that, then I have no idea.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

What is this a response to?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Shaw's footprint reaches Mexico
Bell drops off close the Canada border.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't know if anyone has tried to use any on-demand stuff (via internet). Obviously if you did, they could tell where you were. Don't know if they'd care.

I carry a larger dish than I have at home but I'm not sure I really need it. 90cm.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canadian Campers wrote:
If we were to use a portable dish (on a tripod) and a satellite receiver when we are travelling, is there any way that our provider would actually be able to tell that we were using a receiver away from our home location?

No. None.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
As long as your dish is within range of your provider's sat footprint, you'll have service. They cannot tell where you actually are.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Shaw Direct, which used to be Starchoice. All over BC and southern states with no problem.
They will not provide customer service if you are in the US.
There is wonderful Sat finder program that I used on my laptop which made lining up the dish much easier.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired