cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble replacing rear view camera monitor - any ideas?

ruralgold
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star with a ADTH monitor 12v, B&W. It's small and difficult to see so I decided to update the system. I purchased a Pyle Audio rear view camera(color) and 7" color monitor. The cable that came with the package is long enough for a car, but not for the RV. So I decided to replace the monitor first, keep using the B&W camera and replace the camera later.

I pull off the monitor and discover that the cable from the monitor to the camera is S-Video, 4 pin. The new monitor uses an RCA video connector. I hook up the power connectors to the new monitor, everything looks good. I figure I'll get an adapter for the S-video to RCA video and use the same cable and camera for now.

Okay, a couple of days later I get the adapter. I put the adapter in place, turn on the ignition, the monitor lights up, no signal. Switch to the other video input, still no signal. Try this several times, just for grins. Still no signal.

I'm thinking that I've screwed up the cable somehow, so just to make sure, I put the original B&W monitor back in place. Everything works fine, picture looks like it did.

My question is, can I use the S-video cable with the adapter, and if so, how?

Any help would be appreciated on this. Oh yeah, this is my first post, but long time reader. Thanks

Rory Martin
7 REPLIES 7

schwartzworld
Explorer
Explorer
ruralgold wrote:
The adapter is very close to what I need. Of course, I don't have that particular 4-pin connector on the end, mine looks like the s-video 4-pin, not the CEC connector I believe this one is.

So I'm thinking of cannibalizing the s-video to rca adapter that I already have. Splitting open the outer sheath, figuring out which wires go to what, and making my own adapter that includes the power cables. I'm assuming that I can check for continuity between the pins on the 4-pin and the rca to track the video signal cables. The other 2 pins should be the power back to the camera, right?

Thanks for the help so far, everyone. I'm optimistic(or deluded).

Rory Martin

Before you do that, try this. Take the old monitor, don't connect the cable and power it up. Use a volt meter on the pins on the back of the monitor to see which ones are putting out power. Then you'll know which pins on the cable are for power and which are signal, hopefully anyway.

Then you can cut the end and put power to the camera and get the signal to the new monitor.

Fred

ruralgold
Explorer
Explorer
The adapter is very close to what I need. Of course, I don't have that particular 4-pin connector on the end, mine looks like the s-video 4-pin, not the CEC connector I believe this one is.

So I'm thinking of cannibalizing the s-video to rca adapter that I already have. Splitting open the outer sheath, figuring out which wires go to what, and making my own adapter that includes the power cables. I'm assuming that I can check for continuity between the pins on the 4-pin and the rca to track the video signal cables. The other 2 pins should be the power back to the camera, right?

Thanks for the help so far, everyone. I'm optimistic(or deluded).

Rory Martin

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I also tried using an S Video adaptor without checking the polarity and proper connections.
Result: one fried Camera!
Fortunately it was from China on e-Bay so I was only out about $30 !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

You may need an adapter similar to this Voyager cable. This will split your video/audio and power. Make sure to check pin config(4 pin?) and gender.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I redid my B/W system to color last year and after attempting trace the cable from the rear to the front, I decided that it just wasn't worth the effort. So I got a 75' coax with my new cameras/monitor and ran it under the motor home using existing cable runs as much as possible and keeping it out of the wheel wells. When I couldn't use existing cable runs, I purchased a bunch of the corrugated/slotted cable covers and cable ties and ran it the best I could with as much protection as possible.

I used ALL but about 2 ' of the 75' on my 36' long mh....just enough so that i can pull the monitor out of the dash to work on it (if needed).

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

ruralgold
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that makes all the difference, then. So they used a 4pin din connector that LOOKS like s-video, but is not. So I guess I have to complete the whole install, new cable and camera to make it work then.

Hmmm, I'm sure the cable runs through the ceiling somehow, but how do I access it?

Anybody know?

Rory Martin

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
A B/W camera has no S-video output. I suspect that the 4-pin connector is video and power. The adapter would supply no power to the camera thus no picture.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN