brog741
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, what is a good tv antena with good range that mounts on the roof
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I recall from memory (I read the Batwing/Batman/Jack thread when it was posted) NOTHING beat the WIngman enhanced Batwing..
He tested the sensar both with and without the Wingman
And he tested the Jack. Using high quality Electronics lab equipment and measured signal strength.. At it's very best. the Jack was still half (3dB down) the antenna the Batwing was.. that was in the configuration that most favored the Jack.

Of course in the configuration most favoring the Wingman.. Someting like 7dB difference. (Batwing delivered over 4 times the signal)

What is dB: (deci-bell or 1/10th of a Bell) well... A logrythmic scale 10^e

So 3db is 10^0.3 (10 raised to the 3/10th power) or about 2.

You can use your calculator (Scientific mode) to figure out what 7DB is (about 5 times the power)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Twain
Explorer
Explorer
Size matters and the batwing style pulls in VHF better than the Jack (in theory and in my experience). Both styles are comparable in the UHF band. In the Tampa and Orlando area, most of the major networks are on VHF.
Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
2016 Open Range Light FL295FBH
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dutch ! I'll try and keep better track ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:

I spent allot of time several years ago testing these antennas with the same or likely better gear than they were designed with, and posted the results here. Where that went I don't know. Mebbe one of the search Guru's like OLDMAN2, etc. can figure out where its hiding

Your antenna testing thread is still around, Jeff:

Batwing vs.BatMan vs. Jack: The Results.. finally (LONG)
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SnuffySmif
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB,

I like the looks of the antenna mast on your off-road popup. Is that a custom design? How does it attach and stow?
Glenn and Lisa

2006 Chevy C5500 Custom Class C
RV'ing since 1993

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ng2951 wrote:
I doubt the Jack is an significantly better than Sensars. It is a considerably better antenna on UHF, and especially VHF When the model year changed, Grand Design switched from Sensar clone (they did not have a true Sensar) to the King Jack.Sounds like GD simply cheaped' out

Next it seems the manufacturers are not QAing the antenna connections. When I discovered the Sensar clone and replaced it with a real Sensar Razor, I found the antenna connections were quite loose. If the dealership is close to the transmitters at inspection they will probably do fine. However, after driving, age, and longer distance to the transmitters not having these connectors properly locked down might weaken performance.Weak in the mount is one thing. But loose and moving around can and does break the solder tab on the board its mounted to

At the home QTH I am easily close to 50-60 miles from the transmitters which will magnify any problems.This is precisely the issue. The Batwing is simply a better antenna than Jack, or any of the others out there, and fringe coverage is where this will show up. Even with an external amp attached, you cannot amplify what cannot be heard in the first place. Thats why you ALWAYS start with the best antenna, then work forward. The system works OK, and better than the bat wing clone.

I spent allot of time several years ago testing these antennas with the same or likely better gear than they were designed with, and posted the results here. Where that went I don't know. Mebbe one of the search Guru's like OLDMAN2, etc. can figure out where its hiding
Jeff - WA6EQU

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The best addition after Winegard IV or Razar Air antenna is adding a in-line adjustable RF amplifier. I use a Radio Shack model ($30.).

Range about 125 miles so any fool can use it with gain to 20 decibals. Just aim off either front or side of RV. One search will find almost all networks from one or more metro areas. No need for a second search unless you are getting greedy.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The SensarIV/SensarPro combo is very hard to beat short of larger residential setups. And as more stations switch to high and low VHF from UHF over the next few years, the advantages of the Sensar batwing will become even more apparent.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt the Jack is an significantly better than Sensars. When the model year changed, Grand Design switched from Sensar clone (they did not have a true Sensar) to the King Jack.

My guess is that the Jack is better than the clone, but cheaper than the Sensar.

Next it seems the manufacturers are not QAing the antenna connections. When I discovered the Sensar clone and replaced it with a real Sensar Razor, I found the antenna connections were quite loose. If the dealership is close to the transmitters at inspection they will probably do fine. However, after driving, age, and longer distance to the transmitters not having these connectors properly locked down might weaken performance.

At the home QTH I am easily close to 50-60 miles from the transmitters which will magnify any problems. The system works OK, and better than the bat wing clone.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The first reply said it;s hard to beat one of these Batwing.

In fact the photo looks like a Winegard Sensar IV and .. When it comes to antennas designed for RV use.. it is not "hard to beat" that unit. it is impossible.. Both lab and field tests prove it is superior to anything else on the markewt.

But there is room for improvement.. Winegard makes a module called the Sensar Pro. If you have a wall plate with a switch, light, 12 volt outlet and antenna connection.. (The standard Winegard Wall plate) inside the RV this 100 dollar (About ) device relaces it, directly.. But is vastly superior.. it adds:

Signal seek and strength indicators
Ability to scan received carriers (see note below) and pick the one to peak on
Ability to MANUALLY select a carrier frequency and peak (or look for) it.
Adjustable GAIN from attuention to about 10db from what we think
Audio feed back (Also adjustable volume, mine is set to ZERO)

Makes it very easy to "Aim" the antenna and imroves signal quality once you are on target.

If like me, you have a matrix switch instead of the wall plate.. Still works (I should know) ask if you have issues understanding how to install it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This guy ^^^^^^^^^^ knows his stuff and has tested most all of them. The Batwing (Sensar 4) is the best.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
There will likely be those chiming in here to tell you that the Jack is the greatest thing since sliced cheese. Take it with a grain of salt and simply look at the masses endorsing the Winegard Batwing. There simply is no comparison between the Batwing and anything else in RV service
Jeff - WA6EQU

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
BATWING x 2.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad