cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV Antenna

Emperor
Explorer
Explorer
The signal for the TV continues to continually go up and then down. This makes it difficult to tune in any channel. Better with booster off but the signal is too low then.
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the differences between Digital and Analog.

Channel 2 used to be around 56 MHz (This is the center of a 6 MHZ wide channel)

Channel six was 85
Chan 7 177
chan 13 213
chan 14 to 69 470 to 806 (The full band)

As you go higher in frequency (Shorter in wave length) smaller and smaller objects cause issues.. On 145 MHZ, hams running less than 1,000 watts transmitter power can and have had conservations on paths of hundreds of miles.. I've done several hundred on what would be Chan 1 with my 100 watt rig and a hundred miles on even less power.

But as the frequency goes up even wet leaves get in the way.

In the old ANALOG days, the channel number on the dial determined the frequency

But in today's DIGITAL world.. Well.

In Detroit, MI.. Chan 2 (2-#) broadcasts on the old Chan 7 Frequency (177 MHZ) not 56 like they used to,, Chan 7 uses chan 41. Chan 20, uses 21 (not much change) but ... Well,, Many VHF stations are now broadcasting in the UHF band.

The basic Batwing, though a good antenna, is a bit weak in the UHF, adding a Wingman fixes that.. Adding a Sensar Pro inside gives even more improvement

The biggest change however was this. A station that used to run say 100,000 watts, May now only be running 10-25 thousand. This means you need to be a bit more fussy in antenna pointing.

But remember,,, I push only 100 watts into my wire if taking on the radio, and about 30-40 if pushing digital... and I talk to other hams around the country, and type (digital) to hams all over the world. WITH 1/3 the power I use on voice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Emperor
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the response. Some very good ideas. However I suspect that the problem might be in the antenna booster itself. This problem happened with the coach sitting in one place and it had been giving ok reception with a signal strength high of 55. Now just a signal that varies from 30 to 50 and the reception follows the signal, good to bad then back to good.
And it is constant, and does not change regardless of where the antenna is pointed. I should amend that, it does go up when it sees a stronger signal but the constant oscillation does not stop. Thanks again for all the great ideas.

Explorer
Explorer
The OP has not come back to say what antenna he has or if it is directional or omni-directional. When I got tired of turn the antenna, scan for channels, turn, scan, turn scan, I got one of these -

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/2013/09/adding-digital-antenna-signal-finder.html

Simple to put in and to use, and now getting locked in channels is fast.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see that too. A signal in the 70-80 range suddenly hits ZERO and then pops back up.. Happens a lot.. I know a lot about how things happen in the world of RF, it can be as simple as a truck going down the road, Signal bouncing off the truck cancels the direct signal coming from the station.. Then the truck moves and all is restored.

Or the movement of a tree limb in the wind.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Moved from Forum Technical Support

4juanrodriguez
Explorer
Explorer
i guess i will stick to my old windguard tv antenna..
STATES VISITED,SLEPT,EAT,WALKED ON...2007 PLEASURE-WAY EXCEL TD,,SOMETIMES TOWING 2010 JEEP WRANGLER SAHARA WITH ROADMASTER ADAPTERS WITH FALCON 5250 TOW BARS..

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First off you need to check all coax cable connections.
The one on the antenna head, the one on roof connection, the one inside antenna ceiling crank assembly, the ones on back of antenna wall plug/dist. box (if so equipped) and the ones on TV.

Then check that you have 12V DC power to antenna head (center pin to outside shield on coax cable) with booster ON

With good connections and 12V DC power you then have to 'AIM' the antenna head towards the TV transponder towers.

Which way to 'aim'......check which way other campers are pointed or use an antenna website for direction or install a signal meter.

Some antenna websites:
Antenna Point
DTV Reception Map
Antenna Web

After you 'aim' then TV input has to be set to 'Air' 'Antenna'
Then do a scan for available channels

You have to aim and rescan anytime you change locations
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Emperor wrote:
The signal for the TV continues to continually go up and then down. This makes it difficult to tune in any channel. Better with booster off but the signal is too low then.

It shouldn't even bring in the channels with the booster 'off'!

4 things I found out and learned after they went digital.

1.You have to turn the antenna dial VERY slowly to catch a signal. Unlike with the old analog you just gave it a spin and. I found inching it ever so slowly to catch the local signal works.

2. Trees DO block the 'digital' signal. If you are parked covered with trees you WILL have a hard time. Until you can directional it between the trees.

3. I fought with a 'new' flat screen TV I bought for weeks trying to get a good signal thinking it was the areas where I was parked. Until one CG 'everyone' was getting all the channels but mine kept going in and out.........found out it was THE TV connection. I took it to a repair shop and replaced the antenna coax board for $60 bucks and voila I got all the channels free and clear. Repair show says they see a lot come in for this.

And lastly I have bought a few flat screen TV's now for the RV and NOT all of them are the same as to how well a signal is received and how many channels you will get.

I have a real small VISIO that will get 30 channels when the larger Sylvania can only get the bare minimum of 6 all while parked in the same place, same antenna.:(

Oh ya and one time I thought it was were I was parked and the dang introduction to digital and all I had to do was buy a new coax cable and that fixed all the in and out of the signal. The cables DO get tired and digital just won't have anything to do without a perfect connection!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the BATWING with UHF dipoles on it... Does pretty good for us here on East side of the US where there are lots of towns that broadcast the new digital HD TV signals... Out West it was somewhat spotty to pick up HDTV signals from the local towns when camping way out somewhere. The beam width is fairly broad and don't have to move the BATWING antenna much when changing stations. Most of the time the Digital HD station are from the same local town antenna. Using the BATWING I get alot of fading when airplanes go overhead and with different weather conditions if the tranmitting antennas are 40-50 miles away.

My basic setup using a quick setup rotatable antenna pole for my HDTV antennas on the OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer. It is neat as I can reach out thru the window flaps and rotate it haha..

I did pick up one of the KING JACK antennas smaller footprint antenna and it seems to have a better signal but is very narrow beam width. You really have to be pointing right at the HDTV transmitter antenna real close to work good. Here where I am south of the Washington DC HDTV towers I have to move the KINGs JACK Antenna to get all of the NATL BROADCAST TV stations. Washington has towers on both sides of their district.

I also have one of these DUAL DIPOLE antennas mainly for a back up and this doesnt do very well for me. It does work however in a pinch...

I had one of those CHANNEL MASTER LOWES $80 house YAGI antennas up for a season which did a real good job. I finally destroyed it by taking it down all the time and folding it up for transport. It was longer than my trailer was and sometimes I couldnt swing it around for hitting trees close to the trailer. Everyone that saw it on my POPUP trailer always had comments to make haha... This was a gang busters antenna before the NATL BROADCAST changed over to digital TV mode and dropped the LOW BAND VHF frequencies.

The best reviews I am reading now is for one of the Antennas Direct DB8 UHF BOWTIE type antenna panels. This would be mounted on pole outside your trailer and is not too large of an antenna setup... Uses a pre-amp... Having the two sides angle adjustable helps with having slight two different angles at the transmitter location for me without moving the antenna. Being a good UHF antenna it does take good pointing to work. This one solved my problem of 60-70 miles away HDTV reception. My BATWING does pretty good at 40 miles away. This Antenna is available from AMAZON. Search for DB8 Antenna... Not sure how this would look up on the trailer roofs but works great on my POPUP trailer easy up pole... Measures 28.5 x 42.9 x 9.1 inches - 7.8 pounds... Since this is made up of antenna mesh it does not have much a wind load affect when the winds get up at the camp site.

Hope this helps some...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Which TV antenna, it does matter
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
The Weather is the biggest factor.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Analog or digital signal? Digital is pretty difficult to tune. I think they sell meters as an antenna amplifier add on. I just guestimate direction. Or see direction other RVers are pointed and do the same.