cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

***Update*** Adding Canadian service to Verizon plan

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
So here's an update on how this is going! Two words - very well!
Global service started when supposed to - keeping data off roaming for now, as access to WiFi is good. Placing calls without issue. Plan allows for 250 min. So far so good! ST

Anyone have any experience with adding Verizon's global roaming for a month or two to your existing service? Which carrier does Verizon team up with? Will be in the Maritimes - looks like Virgin Mobile, Bell Mobility, or Telux have the best coverage there. Thanks for your input! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's
26 REPLIES 26

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
We have AT&T. Does anyone have any experience with their plans in terms of short stays in Canada? We are leaving next week.
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
docj - thanks! Good tip - will investigate that one, too! ST
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1967-1977 Family TT's

docj
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Did research getting a no-contract phone when in Canada, but this seems more economical compared to anything else I found. Plus, no need to carry a second phone/tell others of new phone number, etc. ST

We have a non-contract Bell Aliant phone that we carry in case we want to make local calls. It costs 20 cents a minute for in-Canada local calls which is fine if we want to call a restaurant for directions or something like that.

One thing we do when we are in our MH and have WiFi available to us is make calls using Google Voice. If you don't already have a Google Voice number, they are free all you have to do is sign up. All calls to the US or within Canada are free. You can make calls using your laptop with its speakers and microphone acting as your "phone" or you can use your cell phone which will connect through the wifi rather than through the cellular network. As long as your wifi connection is adequate it works quite well.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter - Verizon Global - (800)711-8300. Signed up yesterday - very helpful. Give them the date you want the service to start. Call the same number when you are back in the States. They will cancel the Canadian plan immediately and pro-rate what you haven't used. Not travelling yet, so can't speak towards how it will actually work! Did research getting a no-contract phone when in Canada, but this seems more economical compared to anything else I found. Plus, no need to carry a second phone/tell others of new phone number, etc. ST
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1967-1977 Family TT's

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
We are going to Canada/Cruise/Alaska in a couple of months. While in Canada, we will stay in airplane mode unless at a WIFI hotspot. On the cruise ship, we will stay in airplane mode all the time. In Alaska, we will play it by ear. About half the time, we should have service.

We're in Canada at the moment and are also going on an Alaskan cruise in another couple of months. There's really no need to put your phone into airplane mode unless you're trying to deactivate it entirely. We usually just make sure that it can't do data roaming or, if you are really cautious, you can turn off mobile data. We don't mind receiving an occasional phone call if someone really wants to talk to us.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are going to Canada/Cruise/Alaska in a couple of months. While in Canada, we will stay in airplane mode unless at a WIFI hotspot. On the cruise ship, we will stay in airplane mode all the time. In Alaska, we will play it by ear. About half the time, we should have service.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've found when I just call the Verizon number they are in fact very knowledgeable about the "Global" stuff.

I just didn't like the rates they wanted to charge me.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Thanks for the updates! I visited the Verizon store today (not just a kiosk, one of their actual corporate stores) - they actually couldn't answer my questions, but gave me a phone number to call specifically with the Global folks... will be chatting with them later this week - will let you know what I find! ?ST

Would you kindly share the number of the "Global folks"? We will be crossing over any day and I need to speak to someone at Verizon that can give accurate information.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the updates! I visited the Verizon store today (not just a kiosk, one of their actual corporate stores) - they actually couldn't answer my questions, but gave me a phone number to call specifically with the Global folks... will be chatting with them later this week - will let you know what I find! ?ST
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1967-1977 Family TT's

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
accsys wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
they must have changed since this time last year. It was $10/month and included however minutes were on your monthly U.S plan (in our case unlimited) and the same for texts (in our case unlimited), but did not include ANY mobile data allowance. I just turned off mobile data while in canada. With that IIRC there were no pictures in text msgs either to send or recieve.

That's my understanding - the old Nationwide plus Canada plan we used in our 2009 Alaska and 2010 Eastern Canada trips is no longer available!
We used that plan in 2013. The following may help to explain the situation. For years I've read that Verizons CDMA was mostly US based.

Verizon FAQ 5/15 wrote:
Can I use my phone in Canada and Mexico?

Although CDMA coverage is available in many areas in Canada and Mexico, Verizon's roaming carriers in those countries are turning down their networks as early as this year. For best performance and coverage we recommend a 4G Global Ready device.

4G Global Ready devices will automatically select GSM while in Canada and Mexico.
For 3G Global Ready devices, you may need to manually select GSM through the settings on your device.
Non Global Ready (CDMA only) devices may have more limited coverage and slower data speeds.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
they must have changed since this time last year. It was $10/month and included however minutes were on your monthly U.S plan (in our case unlimited) and the same for texts (in our case unlimited), but did not include ANY mobile data allowance. I just turned off mobile data while in canada. With that IIRC there were no pictures in text msgs either to send or recieve.

That's my understanding - the old Nationwide plus Canada plan we used in our 2009 Alaska and 2010 Eastern Canada trips is no longer available!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
I just did the verizon voice/text plan for $10/month while we were in canada. prorated based on the actual time we had the plan. started it the day before we left, cancelled the day after we got back, prorated for the actual days used.

You actually paid $10 for phone access and then another $5 for up to 100 minutes of voice. With overages for more than 100 minutes. At least that is the only thing available now. There is an option to pay $20 access and then another $10 to get 250 minutes of voice. This is the option we will select next month as I don't think I can hold the DW down to 100 minutes a month. :B

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
If you prorate the Verizon charges for unused days, they also prorate the actual voice/text/date available. That's fine if you don't actually use all your allotment, but it is a potential trap.

That's what got me such a high quote from them

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I just did the verizon voice/text plan for $10/month while we were in canada. prorated based on the actual time we had the plan. started it the day before we left, cancelled the day after we got back, prorated for the actual days used.

You actually paid $10 for phone access and then another $5 for up to 100 minutes of voice. With overages for more than 100 minutes. At least that is the only thing available now. There is an option to pay $20 access and then another $10 to get 250 minutes of voice. This is the option we will select next month as I don't think I can hold the DW down to 100 minutes a month. :B

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams