Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

usb vs hotspot

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Just a note to say I'm getting 50 megs down on a USB cable to the phone, vs 40 megs down on the hotspot on my phone. Ping times are also lower.

The computer is new (ten days) and so has fast usb ports. Win 10

The phone is a Samsung A8 with the new non polarized USB cable.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
10 REPLIES 10

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
wa8yxm

I thought that was the frequency 2.4 gigahertz and 5 gigahertz.

It is. It's not a speed setting. However, you can sometimes get better speeds on 5Gzh but much less range.

My experience is there is a speed difference and an environmental difference between 2.4G and 5G wifi networks.

Below are graphics to show my configuration and results (Burke is my SSID). I ran an Internet speed test with my router configured as shown and alternating with my laptop connected to use the 2.4 Gig and 5 Gig wifi network. According to my router, 2.4G wifi gets up to 600 Mbps speed and 5G wifi gets up to 1.3Gbps speed.

Range is not an issue (my router is in the next room) but congestion in our condo with wi-fi networks is an issue. One's environment can be a major factor as can be seen in the graphic below of my condo wi-fi environment as represented by Metageek's inSSIDer. I have selected wi-fi channels that avoid as much conflicting traffic as possible.

As can be seen, in this environment 5G wins handily on downloads. That can't be explained by the router's indication of a 2:1 speed difference for 5G vs 2.4G so congestion on the 2.4G network has to be a major factor. Either users don't have the 5G option on their routers, they don't connect to it if they have it or they don't know the difference. Upload speeds apparently are limited by the Spectrum broadband service I have because there is little variation there.

Speed Test Results:

Router Configuration:

Condo WiFi networks
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
wa8yxm

It is. It's not a speed setting. However, you can sometimes get better speeds on 5Gzh but much less range.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
wa8yxm

It is. 5 gig works well for newer equipment but has a shorter range.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had USB connections become faulty when used daily over time.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
wa8yxm

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Never tried USB on my latest phone.

Was getting 95mb down and 25mb up through AT&T 4g earlier this week.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is Wi-Fi and there is WI-FI.. (2.5 and 5 Gig) I've gotten some very impressive speeds using 5 GIG (Though not when using the phone as a hot spot. in fact I'm not sure I've done that with the phone as a hot spot. Will have to give it a try)

I normally use the phone on the lower speed because somne of the hardware I have is 2.5 only and the phone gives me a choic of low or high. not both.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman,

Faster isn't necessarily better. I can blow through my data lots faster......

Thanks for the explanation MrWizard.
Regards, Don

MrWizard
hard wired is faster than Wi-Fi

Direct connection, no extra transmit and receive in the middle of the connection
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
40?! wow. I'm getting <1 and it works ok.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman