cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using a stand alone smart phone as a GPS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I still have a dumb phone but have been reading threads on here about how folks are using their smart phones(I phones and Androids) and downloading the Co Pilot APP for $10 and using it for a GPS. From what I understand the Copilot app lets you customize the RV height and wt like the RV specific GPS's. This seems like a much cheaper solution than the Garmin 760 or the Rand GPS. My kids are always buying new phones for the latest technology so my question is can I use their old I phone 5 model as a standalone GPS in my MH with the co pilot APP and not use it as a phone without going through a phone provider? I do plan on getting an I phone for my wife and I will keep my old flip phone. So my next question is when you buy an APP can up use it on multiple devices or do up buy one for each device?
44 REPLIES 44

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
paulcardoza wrote:
X2!

Waze is terrific. Google Maps isn't far behind.

gwalter wrote:
I use Waze on my iPhone and get turn by turn directions by voice, plus any live updates on traffic conditions as I go. The gps of the phone is very accurate.
I went to the WAZE web site but could not see if you could put in the size and ht of your RV. I assume that you don't have that option is that correct?

Correct --- Not an option.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
paulcardoza wrote:
X2!

gwalter wrote:
I use Waze on my iPhone and get turn by turn directions by voice, plus any live updates on traffic conditions as I go. The gps of the phone is very accurate.
I went to the WAZE web site but could not see if you could put in the size and ht of your RV. I assume that you don't have that option is that correct?

Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. I did not get a clear answer on my second question. If you have more than one device can you down load one APP and use it on multiple devices? For example if you have an I phone and an I pad can you download Copilot once and use it on both devices or do you have to pay for it twice in order to use it on both devices?

If you have the paid Copilot app, you are licensed to use it on one device at a time. The app has to connect into the company to download the maps and they will know it is on another device. The company says you must uninstall the app from one device if you want to install it on anther device which you are permitted to do - to a limit. There is a limit to the number of times you may do this - to stop pirating the app, the company keeps track of how many times the app is installed and if it goes over that limit without warning the licensed is revoked and it will not install without paying for it again. I had planned to move it back and forth between my tablet and my phone to give me a bigger screen on some trips and this would be a problem because of the limitation on the number of installs.

You can have as many of the free Copilot app installed on as many devices that you want - but you have no auto-reroute if you go off route with the free version.

Copilot has an excellent website that will answer all questions including a forum with responses from Copilot techs.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfox20 wrote:
look at a Walmart Atlas?
Sure, usually in bed at night. Gives me the big picture. For actual driving, it's the GPS.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

docj
Explorer
Explorer
mfox20 wrote:
Ok...I just have a simple question about this topic, don't shoot the messenger ๐Ÿ™‚

Most of us most likely know where we are headed for the day, right? Doesn't anyone take a look at a map on your cell phone while you are having coffee in the morning and get a general idea of what roads you will be on? Look over the directions and kind of know what your options are? Or look at a Walmart Atlas?

I use an old I phone4 and occasionally I will ask the wife to check the built in traffic app and re-route accordingly.

Just asking...:B

Last week I was working a booth at the Hershey RV show. My CG was about 30 minutes away from the show. My return to the CG was usually at ~6-7pm during the evening traffic peak. I used Google maps to guide me every day. I don't think it used the same route home more than twice since it used real-time traffic information to provide the fastest route. If it doesn't bother you to be stuck in traffic, that's fine. I'm not in a hurry, but I enjoy not sitting in traffic jams. No atlas can do that for you. JMO
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

MrWizard
I always check routes with an atlas

i will use the phone to track where I'm at, and "gas buddy" to check on fuel prices up the road
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...I just have a simple question about this topic, don't shoot the messenger ๐Ÿ™‚

Most of us most likely know where we are headed for the day, right? Doesn't anyone take a look at a map on your cell phone while you are having coffee in the morning and get a general idea of what roads you will be on? Look over the directions and kind of know what your options are? Or look at a Walmart Atlas?

I use an old I phone4 and occasionally I will ask the wife to check the built in traffic app and re-route accordingly.

Just asking...:B
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Have you downloaded an App like Copilot or do you use the just what came with the phone? Is the phone mounted on the dash and can you read it or is it hand held? Do all of the newer phones like I phones have these features that you mentioned?

We don't have any additional apps and simply use Google Maps which has excellent navigation and traffic avoidance features. Google's routes are constantly being updated by inputs from every Android device whose GPS function is active. That provides far more traffic data than is available from standalone devices that use the usual traffic info services. The phone is in a RAM mount attached to the windshield and its audio output connects via Bluetooth to the car's radio. All Android smartphones have these features and there's probably something similar for iPhones.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I suspect, you are adding complication for no benefit by trying to use a phone without a cell contract as a stand alone GPS.

Go back and read all the posts, tell us what you don't understand.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fizz wrote:

I don't need or use a cell phone
I bought my Nokia 520 just for the GPS. For less than $100 I got a GPS that is more accurate than my Garmin and boots up a lot quicker.

Unless youa re doing survey work or something similar, a cheap standalone GPS has plenty of accuracy.

Likewise the 20-30 seconds it takes to get a fix usually isn't a problem.

I suspect, you are adding complication for no benefit by trying to use a phone without a cell contract as a stand alone GPS.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Have you downloaded an App like Copilot or do you use the just what came with the phone? Is the phone mounted on the dash and can you read it or is it hand held? Do all of the newer phones like I phones have these features that you mentioned?

I do have Copilot but I don't like using the phone as my GPS when driving. Nothing beats a dedicated one like Garmin. I don't know about other phones.

I know Walmart sells these as Pay as you go for as little as $48. A steal even if you don't use it as a phone.

I got mine as a backup camera and GPS for walking and exploring new cities. The app that came with it is good enough for that. Everything in my shirt pocket.

WALMART

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fizz wrote:
A lot of bad info posted here by people who don't know what they are talking about.

I don't need or use a cell phone
I bought my Nokia 520 just for the GPS. For less than $100 I got a GPS that is more accurate than my Garmin and boots up a lot quicker.

From the product description...
GPS feature: Cellular and Wi-Fi network positioning, A-GPS, A-GLONASS

GLONASS is the Russian version of GPS with its own satellite network, makes for a super accurate positional fix.

My cheap little 520 has GPS, 5MP camera, MP3 player, true FM radio (no internet needed) and a phone I never use.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
gwalter wrote:

THANKS

New one for me, very handy and usefull.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
X2!

gwalter wrote:
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King