cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using phone for internet finance safe?

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I know using computer on park wifi can be compromised and is not secure. To do banking and bill paying how safe is using iphone over the telephone connection?
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA
15 REPLIES 15

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
yes, not voice but the 4G connection for data vs the park wifi.4
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
I interrupted he was asking wifi vs cellular connection, not voice.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Explorer
Explorer
The OP actually asked if using his iphone voice connection is safe. The answer is if someone just happens to be listening in, is no. What are the chances that someone is listening in to your carrier's cell tower or connecting towers at the moment you are calling your bank and making a payment or doing bank business. Unlikely. It is possible. Anything is possible. Are you safe doing this? Maybe.

Whether it is a voice connection by cell or a wifi connection - or an internet connection by wired network to a PC - the bottom line is nothing is safe. No amount of security on a home/personal/mobile level is really secure from someone who is criminally looking to get in. The more you think you are safe, the more of a challenge it is for a hacker to show you that you are wrong - and that can and does happen. Every system has a backdoor. And as many of us know who have been comprised at the bank's end or through a business or even as high as government systems, nothing is safe. So you do the best that you can and hope you get by.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
There are companies like Net Zero who say you are safer with your own "Hot Spot" than you are with "Free Wi-Fi".. Is this true?

Most of the Credit Card info thefts I know of they hacked the bank or a store. NOT the user... but I do have to stress these are the ones I know of, IN one case I was the "Non-Victim" (I will explain) and in the rest it's news coverage.

The one case.. They tried to charge over 500 in goods to my debit card.. Well... I keep that account kind of low on funds most of the time.

The transaction was declined due to NSF.. As I wished it to be.. I know about it because the fraud center notified me.

Yes and no. Your connection to the bank is secure. Your computer is only secure if you are using strong passwords, using unique user accounts and renaming the default admin accounts. Your firewall can also prevent intrusion by other computers.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I would use what is comfortable.

For very security sensitive stuff, I like using a direct 3G/4G/LTE link. The blackhats with the equipment that can decrypt that have bigger fish to fry than my connections.

For a local Wi-fi connection, I fire up a VPN. This way if someone is listening in, they see my L2TP/PPTP/whatever packets going to and from the VPN, all encrypted, and that's it. They can kill or slow down the connection, but won't be able to use the info for anything.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are companies like Net Zero who say you are safer with your own "Hot Spot" than you are with "Free Wi-Fi".. Is this true?

Most of the Credit Card info thefts I know of they hacked the bank or a store. NOT the user... but I do have to stress these are the ones I know of, IN one case I was the "Non-Victim" (I will explain) and in the rest it's news coverage.

The one case.. They tried to charge over 500 in goods to my debit card.. Well... I keep that account kind of low on funds most of the time.

The transaction was declined due to NSF.. As I wished it to be.. I know about it because the fraud center notified me.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
magicbus wrote:
I use my Bank of America mobile app for all my banking with no concerns. I just deposited a check using my phone. Beats finding a BofA ATM since they closed every office and ATM within 10 miles of my house. If they didn't have such exceptional online banking and the single use Shop Safe credit card for Internet shopping I'd dump them in a heartbeat, but for now they give us the safe portability we need.

Dave

X2
The bank provides an app for doing banking via your cell phone.
Can you imagine the liability exposure they had to consider before providing the app?
Major brokerages also permit online trading via cellphone.
It probably a lot safer than driving on a city street.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Bank of America mobile app for all my banking with no concerns. I just deposited a check using my phone. Beats finding a BofA ATM since they closed every office and ATM within 10 miles of my house. If they didn't have such exceptional online banking and the single use Shop Safe credit card for Internet shopping I'd dump them in a heartbeat, but for now they give us the safe portability we need.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
n7bsn wrote:
Besides the "ap" many banks also do a hand-shake with the phone/computer/tablet. If that device has never been used to access that account, the server stops the access and goes through a verify process. Which (with the way I have ours setup) means the banks calls our home phonenumber with an access code, that we then have to enter into the device.

They can also use a text to a known good cell, unique questions or email to known good email account. Known good means a verified on file number or email.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Besides the "ap" many banks also do a hand-shake with the phone/computer/tablet. If that device has never been used to access that account, the server stops the access and goes through a verify process. Which (with the way I have ours setup) means the banks calls our home phonenumber with an access code, that we then have to enter into the device.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
As said above, the connections, when made properly, are safe, over WiFi or cellular. Data in storage is more vulnerable than data in transit. Know where your app comes from and know what the URL is for your financial institute and you are fine.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bank with a major nationwide bank who provides "An App For That". Never felt uncomfortable using the IPhone for banking.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DaveG39 wrote:
I know using computer on park wifi can be compromised and is not secure. To do banking and bill paying how safe is using iphone over the telephone connection?
We've been over this so many times. If it makes you uncomfortable don't use it. Otherwise, go ahead. Nobody on this board has ever reported being compromised on park wifi.

If we said using your phone is not safe, what would you do then? (Yes, it's safe.)

That said, NOTHING on the internet is 100% safe.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
using phone as modem/hotspot for pc is safe
i do not use the phone by itself, ung only the phone browser or apps
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s