cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

VPN question

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering build a Virtual Private Network for remote security camera viewing. I don't want to do basic port forwarding for security reasons.

I have found that VPN's can be hardware such as in the router, software in the computer, or through VPN service providers. As far as I can determine these providers act between a LAN and the ISP.

Question: which would be the most advantageous, and most economical?
13 REPLIES 13

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
The best VPN I have ever used is StrongVPN. It costs more than most, but no lag whatsoever and you can pick your server at will. I've also used Expressvpn but I like Strong more.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
dryfly wrote:
I am considering build a Virtual Private Network for remote security camera viewing. I don't want to do basic port forwarding for security reasons.

I have found that VPN's can be hardware such as in the router, software in the computer, or through VPN service providers. As far as I can determine these providers act between a LAN and the ISP.

VPN endpoint built into a residential router is fine for this purpose. A cloud based VPN provider would make this more complicated. I like DD-WRT based routers, like Linksys, Buffalo, Asus.

You setup your router to accept VPN connections, and then setup your cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc to "dial in" to that VPN.

Once connected, your device is now part of your home network, and can access the cameras and whatever else you have networked back home.

The only difference between a cheap residential router and an expensive commercial unit is the level of support and frequency of updates. They run the exact same VPN software named OpenSSL / OpenVPN. While a $$$$ router might get security updates every few months, a $$ router will likely never get security updates unless something embarrasses the company into a knee-jerk reaction.

While I appreciate the expert advice from Braindead, my research shows most folks are using DD-WRT based routers successfully to secure their IP camera systems. I am recording to my own server and have no interest in cloud based storage of my video clips.

Unfortunately my current router does not support DD-WRT so I just want to make sure that I'm making the right decision on a VPN solution before purchasing a new router.

And, I will probably use a service like noip.com to maintain a static IP address.

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
I used to do all the port forwarding on my old cameras until they came out with the p2p cameras, use your smart phone to set them up and you can see what the camera see's. Below is a clicky for a website that will explain it better than me, I prefer the wireless ones and all you have to do is make sure you leave your router on.
http://cctvcamerafactory.com/blog/p2p_ip_camera/

Hope all this helps
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
dryfly wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
I do have to reset the connection once or twice a day when it loses connectivity. Hope this helps.

Is this normal with PIA? If so, that would rule it out for me, as my objective is remote access. I could not do resets effectively.

It shouldnโ€™t happen but it does. To reset you open the app and touch any location around the country (or world) that you want to be routed through. Normally it will route you through whichever location is quickest. The app is very user friendly.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
magicbus wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

VPN endpoint built into a residential router is fine for this purpose. A cloud based VPN provider would make this more complicated. I like DD-WRT based routers, like Linksys, Buffalo, Asus.

You setup your router to accept VPN connections, and then setup your cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc to "dial in" to that VPN.

Once connected, your device is now part of your home network, and can access the cameras and whatever else you have networked back home.
Seems like this would require a fixed IP address to your home network wouldn't it?

Dave

Not really. Depending on your provider, the IP may not change often (mine hasn't in years). If it does, services like Dyn.com, Noip.com, etc can help keep track. Most mid to high end residential routers have the built in ability to update such services.
Indeed. I (and my empoloyer) use Dyn.com There are other ways you can do this, however a dynamic IP to hostname service is certainly the easiest.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
GordonThree wrote:

Seems like this would require a fixed IP address to your home network wouldn't it?

Dave

Not really. Depending on your provider, the IP may not change often (mine hasn't in years). If it does, services like Dyn.com, Noip.com, etc can help keep track. Most mid to high end residential routers have the built in ability to update such services.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:

The only difference between a cheap residential router and an expensive commercial unit is the level of support and frequency of updates. They run the exact same VPN software named OpenSSL / OpenVPN. While a $$$$ router might get security updates every few months, a $$ router will likely never get security updates unless something embarrasses the company into a knee-jerk reaction.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
braindead0 wrote:
I am an expert. First off you have to understand that VPN doesn't mean much without knowing the points the virtual private network is connecting. VPN services are designed to secure your browsing, not connect you to your home network and will provide no help with accessing your local security cameras (which I believe is what you want to do).

Why do you think VPN should not be used to connect to a remote network?

"not connect you to your home network and will provide no help with accessing your local security cameras"

VPN was designed exactly for this purpose. Securely connect a computer (or site) to another network using the public Internet. Only recently has the use of VPN shifted to obscure browsing habits and cheat media streaming providers.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
I am an expert. First off you have to understand that VPN doesn't mean much without knowing the points the virtual private network is connecting. VPN services are designed to secure your browsing, not connect you to your home network and will provide no help with accessing your local security cameras (which I believe is what you want to do).

IMO using any consumer grade router VPN solution is a huge mistake. If you want to access security cameras at your home there are 3 reasonable options:

A) Buy cameras that connect to a service provider that has a means to view remotely. Personally I don't trust any of these providers, however you may find the risk acceptable.

B) run security camera monitoring software that pushes security camera data to the cloud, very similar to above but not built into the cameras. May be more secure that relying on camera manufacturer, typically more likely to patch however you'll need to keep up on your local software patching. iSpy might be useful in this regard: http://www.ispyconnect.com/

C) run a hardened SSH server on your local network, only auth with pre-shared keys, SSH2 run on an odd port and restricted tunnels. There are plenty of resources for SSH server best practices. Doing this can provide easy access to local resources, and depending on how configured can be very secure.

I use method C, however I also live this stuff. Doing anything with a decent level of security requires knowledge and continuing education that most will not be able to manage.

"A" using 'cloud connected' cameras is probably the least work, and least secure due to hardware providers being notoriously lazy about patching as well as often leaving backdoor hard coded passwords.

"B" may be a better choice, your cameras are not connected to the public network only connection is from software to remove server. It will require maintaining a local server 24x7, power backup if you care about downtime..etc...

in short, there is no easy answer ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
I do have to reset the connection once or twice a day when it loses connectivity. Hope this helps.

Is this normal with PIA? If so, that would rule it out for me, as my objective is remote access. I could not do resets effectively.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™m no expert, so I canโ€™t say whatโ€™s best for your personal use. I use a VPN service provider, PIA VPN. It allows me to use public WiFi more securely. Some use it to help watch European sporting events. To do so might require you to set your location somewhere in Europe.
The paid VPNs are supposedly better than the free ones. PIA VPN is normally $40 per year, though it does occasionally go on sale. I do have to reset the connection once or twice a day when it loses connectivity. Hope this helps.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

MrWizard
The use of a VPN is to keep the rest of the internet out of your system
A Router etc.. Is still using software, that is built in, to connect to some provider

If this is for security cameras etc..
Then go any which way, it really won't matter too much

If this is security for your pc and your network your browsing

Then Google VPN compare, and choose the service you like the best

There are a lot of options

A good high rated paid service is probably the best
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s