cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather radio

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a good weather that's easy to use. I've heard there are some that you just program the zip code of where you are and it's set. Any suggestions? THANKS.....
19 REPLIES 19

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
rwbradley wrote:
Just a note, someone posted using an App. I really really would not recommend that. Keep in mind that on 9-11 most of the internet came to a standstill while everyone streamed the towers. During Hurricane Sandy, cell service was out in areas and the 2 most inportant internet data centers in the world (both in Manhattan and feed much of the western world) were in danger of flooding and were going hour by hour waiting on Diesel for their generators. The internet/cell networks are too fragile to rely on in disaster situations. A self powered weather radio should be on the top of your list for emergency items, right up there with water, first aid and fire.
The way I see it is that the purpose of a weather alert is to warn you of bad weather before it occurs. Getting a warning after the storm wouldn't do much good.

LOL good point ๐Ÿ™‚
However some types of emergency weather issues are slow moving and semi-predictable ie Hurricane and Blizzard and can start to cause infrastructure outages for you before the storm front actually hits you. Also after the storm goes thru, if infrastructure fails, weather radio may be the only way to know how bad it was ie can I get in the car and move to higher ground, is there a second front coming etc...

Still worth having a DC/Solar/Crank powered Weather radio, preferably with AM/FM for additional news info. You can get many models out there that have all of the above plus a USB port to charge your phone as well.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Midland WR300. The main purpose of the S.A.M.E. technology is to filter out alerts from unwanted areas. When we are at home in the Midwest we filter out the counties far to the South of us since the storms through that area rarely effect us.

When we are traveling we just set it "All" and then we get the warnings from the local area. Radio is ALWAYS on at home or in the fiver. In the truck while traveling we have a CB that monitors NOAA frequencies and will sound an alert even when the volume is down.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
rwbradley wrote:
Just a note, someone posted using an App. I really really would not recommend that. Keep in mind that on 9-11 most of the internet came to a standstill while everyone streamed the towers. During Hurricane Sandy, cell service was out in areas and the 2 most inportant internet data centers in the world (both in Manhattan and feed much of the western world) were in danger of flooding and were going hour by hour waiting on Diesel for their generators. The internet/cell networks are too fragile to rely on in disaster situations. A self powered weather radio should be on the top of your list for emergency items, right up there with water, first aid and fire.
The way I see it is that the purpose of a weather alert is to warn you of bad weather before it occurs. Getting a warning after the storm wouldn't do much good.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
The weather radios are fine for general weather info, but the cell phone app is much better for localized weather. The Red Cross has an app called Tornado that is great for this purpose. While you can't always be assured that you will get data from a cell tower, I like the fact that the app gives me info for where I am and not a general area. :B
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the inexpensive RADIO SHACK WX RECEIVER model 12-260 here which searches for the active WX RADIO station in your area when you first turn it on...

The smart WX RECEIVERS are nice but being on the move like we are it has to be programed just about every place we stop at.

This radio is battery operated but I added an radio shack adapter cable so i could plug into the trailer 12VDC and remove the batteries.

My WX RADIO is on 24/7 when in camping mode.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
We bought one from a garage sale this past summer. Battery only.
Went to SoDak for a 2 week trip. Coming back, we were in a very sudden tornado watch area.
This is what I can tell you.
You do not need a zip code for an emergency weather radio. It will pick of the closest signal to wherever you are. It will give you tornado alerts with a loud continuous sound and then voice. Also, we have a stupid cell phone. That also gave the tornado alert signal but no voice.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most any Weather-all Hazards alert radio sold in the US today will have SAME technology it is not the zip code you program in but the area code, an area may be a county or even a city, but is usually multiple zip codes Most radios can accept multiple zones.. I have like 4 programmed into my Radio.

Two for summer, one for winter and one more

Plus it has TRAVEL mode (mine is a pocket size)

To program you can either use the owner's manual or a web site and look up where you are or, Just now I leave it in travel mode.

Radios come in two types.. "Pocket Size" Portable battery powered with built in antenna.

Desk Top: Line powered, usually with a rod antenna and an external antenna connector if you wish to use an external (Scanner) antenna.

Radios operate in the range of 162.5 MHZ give or take a bit so a 2-meter Ham antenna is a good choice of antenna or a scanner antenna.

At these (VHF) frequencies HEIGHT is MIGHT so an antenna mounted higher gives better reception. Thus the desktops work better. But the portable also have advantages.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Oregon Scientific and it is portable as the main unit looks like a walkie-talkie and it fits into a small base. It has SAME technology and we set it up wherever we are (by county). We look on the map to be familiar with an area if an alert sounds. To us, it is an essential piece of RV equipment. I also have multiple phone apps like Weather Bug. However poor cell service means no weather alert if you are only using an app.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Just an aside - we're sitting here at Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks, and for the first time ever I'm getting a solid signal on all seven of the weather frequencies. So much for geographical separation. ๐Ÿ™‚

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

Admin
Moved to Technology Corner from 5thWheels

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We bought this one on recommendation of a HAM operater on this forum. Price was right and has all the goodies. Can go from truck the 5r easily too.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
bought a Midland at Walmart for less than $50. Also has alarm. Works great. Make sure it has S.A.M.E. technology. You can program in the county codes but we just leave it on "all" so we get all the alerts from surrounding areas. When the alert sounds, we look at the atlas to see where the storm is and where it's headed. We can then decide if we need to find shelter.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Weather Channel app on my phone, but also have a weather radio that I purchased at Radio Shack. The salesperson showed me how to set it for the location I am in (it was really simple), I put batteries in, plugged it in the fifth wheel and have used it for the last 3 years. It has gone off several times, 2 for tornado warnings in which a tornado did touch down about 2 miles from the campground. We saw the funnel cloud from the bath house in the campground. It has gone off 15-20 times for severe storms, flash floods, etc.

My phone usually goes off within 2-3 seconds of the radio going off.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW