cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When will we get truly unlimited data from cell providers

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I has a solicitor from Spectrum/Charter trying to get me to move from DirectV to their tv service. I already use them as my home internet provider. I argued that I use DTV because of the rv. She tried to sell me on the idea that I could take it with me to wherever WIFI was available and I would have access to all Spectrum hotspots.

Primary thing that prevents my from trying this is that I only get 30 GB of data, to use as a hotspot for the month, and I know this would not last very long. Of course there are coverage issues with the phone that need to improve. Campground WIFI providers aren't pleased with campers trying to stream video.

This is likely the way we get all of our tv, in the future. Just wondering how far away from this, as the norm and if any areas of the country is making progress in this direction.
51 REPLIES 51

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have found my T-Mobile plans getting better and better over the years.
Oh, Last time I looked I'd burned 22 Gigs TOTAL between hot spot and phone. over half that was on the phone itself. I'm not throttled (As of yesterday) on HOT SPOT data but due to two things. 1: The nature of what I do on laptops and 2: THe fact that full speed where I'm parked is less than throttled level.. I don't notice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
I get unlimited, non-throttled, data for $22.06 per month with AT&T. Currently I have used 106GB this billing period all non-throttled and last billing period used 122GB.
If everything you just said is the honest truth, that is one killer deal. Does this deal last forever?

Does anything "last forever"? With these cell companies you're lucky if something lasts as long as they advertise. You can be assured they have some really small verbiage buried somewhere, so they can get themselves out faster from something than they got into it LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds good "as long as there is wifi". Problem with that is that many, if not the majority, of the places we stayed during the last extended trip had wifi that was available only close to the office, was there - but just barely, would fade in and out depending on the use (mostly morning and night)
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
'dtv Now' should work with any internet connection

but i think you will find , no 'data roaming' connection while traveling thru Canada or it will be extremely expensive data

best to check with ATT about voice and data 'roaming' for your Canada transition

i think you can forget about VZW fmca mifi data roaming while in Canada

Howdy!

We have unlimited plus plan with AT&T and they have stated we can use our data plan in Canada. The FMCA Verizon plan will not be used in Canada but both will work in Alaska.

The last time we went to Canada DTV turned off our service without asking, only to say let us know when you return and they would reinstate the service. They stated it was illegal for them to provide service in Canada. Alaska was out of the ark and we could not even get a signal if we wanted to. So weโ€™re hoping DTV Now works out.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
mikestock wrote:
I has a solicitor from Spectrum/Charter trying to get me to move from DirectV to their tv service. I already use them as my home internet provider. I argued that I use DTV because of the rv. She tried to sell me on the idea that I could take it with me to wherever WIFI was available and I would have access to all Spectrum hotspots.

Primary thing that prevents my from trying this is that I only get 30 GB of data, to use as a hotspot for the month, and I know this would not last very long. Of course there are coverage issues with the phone that need to improve. Campground WIFI providers aren't pleased with campers trying to stream video.

This is likely the way we get all of our tv, in the future. Just wondering how far away from this, as the norm and if any areas of the country is making progress in this direction.

When will we get truly unlimited? Unlimited at full 4G or the upcoming 5G? Not in our lifetime!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right, but your unlimited plan is not unlimited (just like all the others). It is unlimited speed until you hit 22GB and then you "might" be slowed based upon network congestion. I have the plan and have never been slowed including 1 month where I downloaded 990 GB. However, that does not mean that they cannot.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:
I get unlimited, non-throttled, data for $22.06 per month with AT&T. Currently I have used 106GB this billing period all non-throttled and last billing period used 122GB.
If everything you just said is the honest truth, that is one killer deal. Does this deal last forever?

My "Connected Car Unlimited" plan has 20 months left on the contract. After that who knows, but AT&T's history has been to leave things as is.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
lryrob9301 wrote:

Agreed, one killer deal. I would wager when it comes time to renew these contracts, there's going to be some changes.

ATT is offering my work unlimited, no throttle 4g service for $45 a month, but that is a government only offer. No bad compared to what Verizon is charging us.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
lryrob9301 wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
No one will answer if that $20 is stand alone, or added on to existing plan?
It was available as either. I purchased the Mobley from an independent dealer, went to an AT&T store, had a separate account started. While I have a grandfathered AT&T unlimited iPhone, billing is separate.

I've never had throttling of the Mobley since purchase, although it does not cover some of the newer frequencies, and there have been places where the iPhone provided faster service. The problem is AT&T won't allow tethering of the iPhone without replacing the unlimited with a new account.

All in all, a great service for $22.07 per month.

Thanks for the info.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
OK, so that's in a car?
No, I moved the sim card to a Netgear Unite 815S MIFI. AT&T doesn't care about the device.

So I can use this data plan anywhere I can access the AT&T network either in a vehicle or in a building or walking down the street.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:

My plan is stand alone, 24 month contract, $20 a month plus taxes, unlimited un-throttled cell based data.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
It was available as either. I purchased the Mobley from an independent dealer, went to an AT&T store, had a separate account started. While I have a grandfathered AT&T unlimited iPhone, billing is separate.

I've never had throttling of the Mobley since purchase, although it does not cover some of the newer frequencies, and there have been places where the iPhone provided faster service. The problem is AT&T won't allow tethering of the iPhone without replacing the unlimited with a new account.

All in all, a great service for $22.07 per month.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
lynndiwagon wrote:
2oldman wrote:
tinstartrvlr wrote:
I pay for 30 gigs of data, but after 10 gigs, I get punished with slower speeds
Something wrong in that. I pay Verizon for 24gigs, I get 24 gigs at full speed. Mind sharing what you pay for "30 gigs" of throttled data? I bet it's a lot less than I do.

It would be interesting to know where you live. I bet you're in an area of high user concentration. I'm not sure anyone can prove that they've been slowed down on an AT&T "Unlimited" plan due to going over the 22gb per device "limit." I have a vacation property on a big lake and EVERYONE is slowed down during high usage situations such as weekends and holidays. Once everyone goes home the speed goes back up. This is mainly due to the cell site limitations, not going over a limit. Cellphone companies cannot afford to build out a particular area just for special events. When I'm in a high population area, where the cellphone company has more towers there is never any slowdown. The problem is probably infrastructure, not going over a "limit."

It may have to do with user concentration but I always have "marginally tolerable" speed at the beginning of the month, and it always diminishes by the end of the month, to as slow as 1.2 KILObytes/sec.

What rankles me is that they can slow you down after a certain amount of data is used yet everything else remains the same. The population using the towers didn't suddenly double, or someone stole one of their towers, etc. so I don't get the logic. Why is it okay to have high speed for the first x amount of data, then suddenly it's not okay? That whole policy just makes no sense to me.

As far as infrastructure, maybe.

ATT can't decide if they have tower issues or not (depends on which of the 6 different people with 6 different answers I have talked to at ATT say). If they actually do have tower issues then maybe that's the reason for the slowdown.

But the only thing I know for sure is my data will slow as molasses by the end of the month. Thankfully the park I'm in has free wifi that usually works when my hotspot won't. Never thought I would say anything positive about any park's wifi but.....