cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who knows how to check speaker wire polarity?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and gents,
I'm in the middle of changing out TVs, both front and rear on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Now, a small amount of history here. Winne and Itasca, in that era coach, utilized a dash toggle, to switch the make-believe surround sound system in the coach, get sound from the dash radio or, the TV. Well, I've taken that switch completely out of the loop.

The surround sound system, is now a true, 5.1 surround sound with a new, Home Theater/DVD system. I have installed two new, completely separate speakers, to be used for the dash radio only. However, I kept pretty good track of wires and colors for the TV section but, some how, I got goofed up on the wires for my new speakers for the radio.

What I'd like to know is, is there a way to check the ends of the wires, that attach to the speakers, for polarity? That is, which one is (+) and which is (-). On the radio end, they are buried in a loom and go into the back side of a 10 or 15 wire plug, that goes into the back of the radio. So, I cannot get access to that end to see which is a negative wire for each speaker and which is a positive.

So, what I have is, two wires, that are next to each new radio speaker. I have hooked them up to the speakers, and the radio sounds pretty good. I've been on Youtube and all over the net, trying to find a testing method for what I need. But, all I find out is, the use of a small battery to send a signal to the speaker to see if it pushes out or, pulls in, when the battery terminals are touched to the speaker terminals. This does not answer my question. I need to know which wire is positive and which is negative, coming from the radio?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
34 REPLIES 34

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is the EASIEST way...

Step one. Get a LONG length of wire and a couple of clips (How long will become apparant in a bit)

now you need an Ohmmeter

Remove speaker from mount so you can access terminals. They may be marked, if not then assume "Right" and "left" always holding the speaker the same way (Connections at 6:00 position facing rear of speaker)

Hook clipped wire to one terminal (Right) and other end of clipped wire to one lead of Ohm-Meter.. Measure resistance to both of the wires at the Home Theater end.. one should be near zero, the other around 3-5 ohms. You may also hear a "Scratch" in the speaker when you measure the higher resistance

The wire you are hooked to will be the ZERO. Mark it either + or = (Don't matter) and mark it with the speaker's position.

Do this for all speakers.

Harder method...

Usually.. if you look close, the two wires of the pair.. One is different. It may have a RIB or it may be "Squarish" or have a painted stripe or it may be the wire on which the wire's "Specifications" are printed.. But always on the same wire of the pair.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Let your surround sound receiver figure it out. My Pioneer and Onkyo both do phase correction as part of the room calibration routines.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb is correct. If you can't trace the wire end to end, this is all you can do. As mentioned before, the speaker is getting an AC signal, so it does not matter if the polarity is correct or backwards, what DOES matter is the two speakers are wired in phase with each other. If wired out of phase, you will be able to tell pretty quickly, the bass will be almost non existent wired out of phase.

Another post mentioned putting on something with a bass beat, when the bass hits the cone's first movement should be out, you should be able to see it or lightly feel it with your finger. But again, as long as they are in phase it is not important

You are correct in that the battery test only determines polarity of the speaker itself if not marked.

The only instrument you could actually use to measure the correct or reversed polarity with would be an oscilloscope.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

jeepbluetj
Explorer
Explorer
Voltmeter won't work to ID the wire polarity. Audio is just another kind of AC, it'll read zero on a DC voltmeter.

oldmattb is correct - hook em up one way then the other (on the speaker, so you don't need to get to the back of the radio). Pick which way sounds the best.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
If they are original factory wires from Winnebago, they will be color coded and labeled with a number and letter. Go to the link I posted above and download the wiring diagrams. Winne has been very good at publishing information on all their RV's.

Well,
I extended the wires as stated earlier. The factory yellow and white wires are not involved in this setup. There only two wires. Both are the same exact wire. The origin, from where I extended them, is also buried deep within loom and covers that have been re-installed. To trace these wires all the way back to the radio would be a serious pain in the a$$. This is why I asked about ways to just check them at the speaker.
Audio people who are really adept at car stereos, home entertainment etc. MUST have some sort of meter that can tell, right off the bat, which is the neg and which is the pos. Although most of those folks DON'T get them screwed up by extending them with wires that are not identifiable.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
If they are original factory wires from Winnebago, they will be color coded and labeled with a number and letter. Go to the link I posted above and download the wiring diagrams. Winne has been very good at publishing information on all their RV's.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
If you have wire that is same color, you may still have a marker. Look for a ribbed side vs a smooth side. The rib may be all around or only on one side. If they used this type of wire and connected it correctly the ribbed side will be the negative.
If that still doesn't solve it, go with the reverse the wires option.

A really old way is to find an old VTVM(vacuum tube volt meter). Set it on low AC and watch the needle movement on a low bass note if the meter moves upscale on the note, polarity is correct.(I know probably not practical but it did work)
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
I most certainly appreciate all the input here with experience. Two things here. One, I'm not on the project at this moment. I had to break loose of it and head over to San Diego for some family business. I will be back on this project tomorrow, Friday, in the afternoon. Second, while I have an array of answers and potential ways of checking the polarity, I'm still confused on a couple of things.

1. Using the "Battery" thing to test is to me, confusing. You see, if you have two wires, ALREADY connected to a speaker, then, connect say, a 9V (or 1.5V) battery to those speaker tab connections, that will make the speaker cone PUSH OUT, or PULL IN, based on which way the batteries terminals are connected, right? If you reverse the batteries connections, you'll get the opposite reaction of the speakers cone, correct?

To me, that doesn't tell me ANYTHING accept which is the POS and which is the NEG of the speaker. Those two tests, to me, DO NOT reveal which is the positive and negative OF THE WIRES, leading to the speaker. And most speakers are labeled with a + or - on the connectors.

And, I had to extend the radio speaker wires with other wire that I had lying around. I used the same gauge but, both wires are the same color since that's all I had. I thought I some previous clarification on which wire was positive and which was negative but, in all the miles of wiring that I've done with both the 5.1 system and the stand-alone radio speaker wires, I goofed up and extended the radio wires with the same color wires.

So, to those that have stated that there are definite markings of wires for pos and neg, there AREN'T ANY on my wires. Both wires are the same, for positive and negative. Again, I've been all over youtube and the net looking for an answer here.

Some have said to use a voltmeter on low DC settings and turn the radio on to see what the meter says. Then, someone comes along and says that won't work because the signal being sent on the speaker wire is AN A/C signal so, checking with a D/C voltmeter won't work, man, this stuff is confusing. I can rebuild engines, brakes, weld, cabinet build, fabricate, do brain surgery on myself (almost) and more but, when it comes to electrical stuff like this, I'm just not at the top of my game.

So we are talking about two speakers, and not the full surround array. Hook them up and listen. Reverse the wires on one speaker and listen again. Choose the best of the two.

So far, without discounting any and all other answers, this one kind-a sounds like the most logical way to tell if the "same colored" speaker wires are hooked up correctly to each of the two radio speakers. When I get back home tomorrow afternoon, I'll dive back into this project and check this out. I'll let all who are interested, know what I found out. Thanks a heap for trying to help me here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Audio going to the speakers is an AC voltage so trying to measure DC will not work. The connections are marked plus and minus just for reference for hooking up the speakers. All that matters is that both speakers are hooked up the same. If the speakers are wired incorrectly one speaker will tend to cancel out the other since the sound is out of phase. It's best to sit in a spot that is centered between the speakers.
Interesting because this is what I always "believed" and in fact I used to hook up the speakers and look at them to see if they were moving the same direction. Then I saw the videos of someone using a DC battery to a speaker and getting it to move different directions. Now I just read about "AC with a DC bias" and I think I get it.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
oldmattb wrote:
So we are talking about two speakers, and not the full surround array. Hook them up and listen. Reverse the wires on one speaker and listen again. Choose the best of the two.
If you can not get access to the connector on the radio, this is about the only thing that will work. Audio going to the speakers is an AC voltage so trying to measure DC will not work. The connections are marked plus and minus just for reference for hooking up the speakers. All that matters is that both speakers are hooked up the same. If the speakers are wired incorrectly one speaker will tend to cancel out the other since the sound is out of phase. It's best to sit in a spot that is centered between the speakers.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
the OP wrote:
I need to know which wire is positive and which is negative, coming from the radio?

sch911 wrote:
A simple voltmeter works for me...
That's what I would try. Set it on low range DC, put it across the wires and turn on the radio. If it shows positive you are POS on POS. If it goes negative your meter wires are reversed. This should let you mark the wires coming from the radio.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Try this link.
https://winnebagoind.com/product-resources/product-information

I have found over the years of playing with this kind of thing that most speaker wire has an identifying tracer on the wire itself. Some make it easy by having a tracer color stripe on the wire. This way you can follow the wire from source to speaker and know which end goes where.

However, a large percentage of the time both wires are the same color and joined as a pair. But in these wires, true designated speaker wire will often have a subtle tracer mark on one wire, usually identifying it as the positive. Not a different color but just a slightly different look to one of the wires. You have to look close at the wire to see a couple very small ribs in the wire itself, or a series of little dashes or similar, only on one of the two wires.
If the wires are different colours, a schematic will ID the positive and negative.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer

I know this does not specifically answer your question, but it will maximize the sound quality and put the speakers in phase.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
A simple voltmeter works for me...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad