cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who knows how to check speaker wire polarity?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and gents,
I'm in the middle of changing out TVs, both front and rear on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Now, a small amount of history here. Winne and Itasca, in that era coach, utilized a dash toggle, to switch the make-believe surround sound system in the coach, get sound from the dash radio or, the TV. Well, I've taken that switch completely out of the loop.

The surround sound system, is now a true, 5.1 surround sound with a new, Home Theater/DVD system. I have installed two new, completely separate speakers, to be used for the dash radio only. However, I kept pretty good track of wires and colors for the TV section but, some how, I got goofed up on the wires for my new speakers for the radio.

What I'd like to know is, is there a way to check the ends of the wires, that attach to the speakers, for polarity? That is, which one is (+) and which is (-). On the radio end, they are buried in a loom and go into the back side of a 10 or 15 wire plug, that goes into the back of the radio. So, I cannot get access to that end to see which is a negative wire for each speaker and which is a positive.

So, what I have is, two wires, that are next to each new radio speaker. I have hooked them up to the speakers, and the radio sounds pretty good. I've been on Youtube and all over the net, trying to find a testing method for what I need. But, all I find out is, the use of a small battery to send a signal to the speaker to see if it pushes out or, pulls in, when the battery terminals are touched to the speaker terminals. This does not answer my question. I need to know which wire is positive and which is negative, coming from the radio?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
34 REPLIES 34

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
I extended the wires as stated earlier. The factory yellow and white wires are not involved in this setup. There only two wires. Both are the same exact wire. The origin, from where I extended them, is also buried deep within loom and covers that have been re-installed. To trace these wires all the way back to the radio would be a serious pain in the a$$. This is why I asked about ways to just check them at the speaker.
The OP would prefer not having to dig into the wire loom or pull out the dash radio.

As stated earlier, just play some music and listen for a bit, then reverse the wires on one speaker and determine which way sounds better.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Jacksons wrote:
attach a 1.5 volt battery to the 2 wires, if the cone moves out mark the pos wire, if the cone pulls in mark the neg wire
see page 1
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Jacksons
Explorer
Explorer
attach a 1.5 volt battery to the 2 wires, if the cone moves out mark the pos wire, if the cone pulls in mark the neg wire
2002 Rockwood 8272s
2005 Yukon xl Denali 6.0
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
femailyetti wrote:
any Home Depot or Lowes has Tone Generators, mine reads out on a dc meter. use it to trace wires on fire and burg systems on a daily job. You may have to switch to the continuity checker part on some models to get a dc out.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=tone+generator

http://www.homedepot.com/s/tone+generator?NCNI-5
Fox n' Hound tone generators do not determine polarity on two wires. He's not tracing them, he is trying to figure out how to phase up all the cones. Very different thing..
Jeff - WA6EQU

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
any Home Depot or Lowes has Tone Generators, mine reads out on a dc meter. use it to trace wires on fire and burg systems on a daily job. You may have to switch to the continuity checker part on some models to get a dc out.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=tone+generator

http://www.homedepot.com/s/tone+generator?NCNI-5

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
The best and simplest way has been mentioned a couple of times - use your ears. Out of phase (i.e.when one of the speakers is connected reversed from the other) is fairly easy to detect by listening for a null (i.e. dead spot) half way between the two speakers. More noticeable at low frequencies, and, even more noticeable over headphones.

Again, it doesn't matter which way the polarity is connected as long as it is the same to all speakers.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tom_M wrote:
It would help if people would actually read all of the first post. The OP is connecting speakers to his dash radio, not his Home Theater. Also the wire he used to extend the wires has no markings.

Again, Twin wires normally do have a marking, can be hard to figure out.

And the only difference between "Home theater" and "Dash radio" is.. Well, the words.. Procedure is identical no matter which device you are connecting to, . "Audio source" is the generic.

But the ohmmeter method works 100% even if there are no markings.

THere is another way too but it does not work for me for some reason.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
femailyetti wrote:
You can use a tone generator on one end of the wire to find the wire, when you find the wire, use a volt meter on the dc scale at the end of the wire, label the wire at both ends which is positive at the time.
Hook the positive labled wire to the positive termanial of your amp output, then hook the positive on the other end to the positive speaker terminals.
Virtually nobody has a tone generator handy. Plus a tone generator puts out AC voltage so a DC meter would not function.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there's any way to know which is positive and negative at the radio you could use a ohm meter along with a long piece of wire that reaches from one of the speaker wires back to the radio. Perhaps you can find a pin out for the 10 or 15 on connector at the radio online?

Even without the pin out, it's likely that the speaker wires are something related like orange and orange with white stripe for one speaker and similar for the other. If you identify which 4 wires head to your speakers using the ohm meter, as long as you make both sides the same it will work.

Will the factory wiring diagrams show the colors and function as they leave the radio connector?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, Winnie has the complete wiring for your rig on line in there public access archives. You can download them and the schematic will tell you what the OEM colors are and where they connect to the Winnie system and the Winnie identifiers or go to Magnadyne and look up your radio.

If you have your MOTOR HOME COMPONENT INFORMATION sheet it will tell you what radio you have. If you don't have that sheet, I believe you can download the one for your rig using the VIN for the search in Winnie's archives.

The schematic and the component sheet are great to have around and in the archives are also a COMPLETE PARTS LIST. That is fantastic to have too.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
That's what I would try. Set it on low range DC, put it across the wires and turn on the radio. If it shows positive you are POS on POS. If it goes negative your meter wires are reversed. This should let you mark the wires coming from the radio.
So this is assuming that the radio 'pops' when you turn it on? I can't think of an auto radio that pops in the last probably 30 years to detect. Second, assuming the amp does surge on power-up, that this is being done with a DVM since there are very few of us that even knows what a Simpson is ( ๐Ÿ™‚ ).... that would have a be an extremely fast sample rate, or just lucky to catch it. Certinaly not with a Harbor Freight $5 special
Jeff - WA6EQU

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
You can use a tone generator on one end of the wire to find the wire, when you find the wire, use a volt meter on the dc scale at the end of the wire, label the wire at both ends which is positive at the time.
Hook the positive labled wire to the positive termanial of your amp output, then hook the positive on the other end to the positive speaker terminals.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Tom_M wrote:
Also the wire he used to extend the wires has no markings.
Maybe that is the issue. Get the right stuff.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
It would help if people would actually read all of the first post. The OP is connecting speakers to his dash radio, not his Home Theater. Also the wire he used to extend the wires has no markings.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN