cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who knows the most about garage/gate openers?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Gents,
Maybe this is not really related to RVs in ways but, I figure it's close. We just installed a new set of gate openers (twin swinging gates) at our daughters home in CA and the kit, a "Mighty Mule" set of openers, only came with one remote. What a bunch of cheap skates. What's weird is, Mighty Mule sends TWO remotes with a single gate opener but, it only sends ONE with a kit that contains two openers for two gates, figure that one out????

Anyway, here's my thought(s). The remote is an "FM135 318MHz) remote and, in the store is about $35.00 each. What a rip off. But, on line in Amazon etc. it hovers around $20.00 and free shipping.

Well, here's my question. Since technology is allowing you to open your garage door, control the environment in your home, turn off the water at your home, turn lights on and off at your home, check security camera footage and control the cameras at your home, ALL FROM YOUR PHONE, JUST ABOUT FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, then is there anything, any APP, that can be installed in a Smart Phone or any other late model type of phone like that, that will be able to open or close those new gate openers, knowing that frequency?

I realize that, maybe this might be questionable due to the potential for break-ins and stuff like that but, I was just wondering. This question is for folks that are really into things like radio frequencies, those remote key fobs, Smart Phones and what they are capable of, and goofing around with stuff like that.

Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
9 REPLIES 9

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Your phone or computer can control a device, via the internet, that can open or close the door, monitor the garage, etc, all from a remote location, which is kinda cool and useful. But if all you want is another opener, it's cheaper to just buy another opener.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

az99
Explorer
Explorer
The Mighty Mules are quite an antiquated design. It is a one switch deal. The 1st closure of the switch opens it. The next closes it. If the switch is closed again before the unit hits the limit switches it will stop in mid travel.

I used the old X10 stuff 15 years ago to open the gate remotely from the house.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
here is indeed but you also need the hardware to support it.

The gate is opened and closed by a simnple switch closure.. Depending on the gate there may be 1,2 or 3 switches (Open, Close and Stop) or there may be only one.

All you need is a remote device that can generate a switch closure.. Some Smart phones support I/R remot control app.. Or you can remote any kind of computer device.. But it can be easily done.

Not all that cost effective though.

They also make universal remotes in both single and double models.. I used to have one for the gates when I worked.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Man, you guys are great. I'm no tech-no geek so, I'm sending on any info that many of you have posted to my son-in-law and he's much more adapt at what needs to be done, to make a smart phone, open and close a gate or, set of gates. I surely thank all of you for contributing to this issue.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a liftmaster jakshaft garage door opener with "MY Q" technology. It only came with one remote but that is because it can be operated by your smart phone or computer also. It will also turn on lights in the house with the right accessories. Liftmaster also makes gate openers with the same technology.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GoGogate....phone app

Only $99 :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
garry1p wrote:
Simple answer NO phone works on a different frequency they control all those other devices through the internet and wi-fi.

Bite the $20 bullet and buy one.

I thank you for taking the time to answer. It's not the $20 price for one, although for such a small, non-technical piece of equipment, in my opinion it should be around $8 or $10 at the most but, it is what it is and, I'll just get one. My thoughts were such that, like stated, I figured with all the "Apps" out there and, the TV ads stating you can do all this WAZOOO stuff with just a push of a button on a phone, I surely figured that one (App) would be available to operate gates and garage doors. Thanks again.
Scott

they most certainly can. and there are 100 ways to do it.

but stock? no they don't have a transmitter in that frequency

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
garry1p wrote:
Simple answer NO phone works on a different frequency they control all those other devices through the internet and wi-fi.

I thank you for taking the time to answer. It's not the $20 price for one, although for such a small, non-technical piece of equipment, in my opinion it should be around $8 or $10 at the most but, it is what it is and, I'll just get one. My thoughts were such that, like stated, I figured with all the "Apps" out there and, the TV ads stating you can do all this WAZOOO stuff with just a push of a button on a phone, I surely figured that one (App) would be available to operate gates and garage doors. Thanks again.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport