cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wifi Booster/Router

B_P
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched on the site for info on a wifi booster and see that the best solution would be a booster and router so I can use my other devices ie:iPad, iPhone, printer and to be able to use multiple devices with one log in.
There seems to be a myriad of possibilities so I am confused on the best product, for the best value. I have had the worst internet this snowbird season so need to do something. I do have a new computer since last season but I would have thought that would have made it better, rather than worse.
I am looking for something reasonably priced, that works well and is user friendly as well as easy set up. It can be a unit that is mounted on the roof if that is the best.
I had a RadioWave antenna previously but it has become outdated. The ones I researched on this site were from a low of $35 to a high of $500-600, a little too pricey for my needs.
Your suggestions are appreciated.
Bill/Pat ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Newmar Dutch Star
2018 Sierra Toad
9 REPLIES 9

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Rogue wave....

works great... I can grab a ecent wifi from up to 2 miles... best in the city has been a little over a mile.

http://wavewifi.com/rogue-wave.html

here is my brief install.. sorry i dont have time to do all the links...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27936023.cfm
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

B_P
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your input. Gives me food for thought and some research to do. Thanks for the links, and the link to the blog on building your own. Looks interesting.
Bill/Pat ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Newmar Dutch Star
2018 Sierra Toad

Dennis M M wrote:
This is our first winter with a WiFi Ranger and we are very happy with it's performance on difficult to pull in RV park WiFi. Have used it in 4 or 5 locations so far with good results.

Previously we have used the Bear Extender with acceptable results, but that only works one laptop at a time and needs a USB port.

Bear just came out with a new product called - Extender Edge.. Made to boost wifi signal without using the use port.... I had inquired about it last winter and became a product elvaulator.. I recieved the unit 2 months ago... Sent if back 1 month ago... Could not get either my lap top's ( HP and MacBook) or the IPads and IPhones to "locate if" ..I'm hope they get the bugs fixed , it looks promising...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first winter with a WiFi Ranger and we are very happy with it's performance on difficult to pull in RV park WiFi. Have used it in 4 or 5 locations so far with good results.

Previously we have used the Bear Extender with acceptable results, but that only works one laptop at a time and needs a USB port.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Liltippy
Explorer
Explorer
I have the new WiFi Ranger with XT antenna. Very satisfied.

If you have the technology expertise. David Bott has a great solution on his blog

Outside Our Bubble.

http://www.outsideourbubble.com
2011 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2007 HHR Toad with ReadyBrute Elite towbar and brake

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Look up Hawking technology. Mine works great.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
B&P wrote:
I have searched on the site for info on a wifi booster and see that the best solution would be a booster and router so I can use my other devices ie:iPad, iPhone, printer and to be able to use multiple devices with one log in.
There seems to be a myriad of possibilities so I am confused on the best product, for the best value. I have had the worst internet this snowbird season so need to do something. I do have a new computer since last season but I would have thought that would have made it better, rather than worse.
I am looking for something reasonably priced, that works well and is user friendly as well as easy set up. It can be a unit that is mounted on the roof if that is the best.
I had a RadioWave antenna previously but it has become outdated. The ones I researched on this site were from a low of $35 to a high of $500-600, a little too pricey for my needs.
Your suggestions are appreciated.
The first one that I ever had was a WiFi Ranger when they first hit the market. I was never able to get it to work with my then current USB modem at the time but the "WiFI as WAN" worked but it was not very reliable. That was several years ago and hopefully they have all the bugs worked out now.

I have used the PepWave Mini Surf which has "WiFi as WAN". It did a so so job but it failed after two seasons. I have used a Cradlepoint CTR35 which did a good job but it only has one RJ45 port.

I am currently using a PepWave SOHO with the two external antennas (optional). It raises the campground WiFi from three bars to five bars when using "WiFi as WAN". When I had the Millenicom Jetpack MiFi I also bought the optional cable that allowed me to tether it to the SOHO. Since Millenicom bite the dust I switched over to a Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voicefor my Internet connection that I also use through the SOHO using "WiFi as WAN"

If all you want is "WiFi as WAN" then I can recommend the SOHO as a mid range unit. You did not say if you want to use it with a MiFi or a USB modem so this may not work for you. I would suggest that you talk with the people at the 3G Store. Very knowledgeable about routers/boosters/etc. Good luck.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Here are 3 quick finds from the search above - -

JefaTech long range repeaters

Peplink-on-the-go

Go to Amazon and type in EnGenius in the search box
BTW--- I cannot answer for any of them , as I do not use one.. YET
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
'Best' questions are difficult, because the best is almost always the most expensive. But nobody likes that answer.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman