cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Hot Spot recommendations?

dedmiston
A friend of mine is a student working on a special project in southern Wyoming, near Evanston.

He doesn't have any broadband connection, so he's mowing through his mobile data plan really fast. I want to help him find a mobile wifi device with a separate data plan, but I've never used a device like that.

What should I look for in a device and what kind of plans are best?

He has AT&T for mobile, so we know that coverage is good with AT&T.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
20 REPLIES 20

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
And if some are spending upwards of a hundred for 10Gigs from Verizon, switch to a total wireless cell or hotspot. Verizon towers,
Unlimited talk and 5 gigs of 4g data for $35 a month and additional data is 3 gigs for $10

Why would you pay $100 for 10GB?

We have Verizon with no long term plan and the unlimited is $80/month. The only downside is it slows down after 15GB of hotspot use.

Basically, they are all variations on a cellphone hotspot, you just need a plan with sufficient data and be located where there is a decent cell coverage.

The only real alternative would be starlink but then you are looking at $600 for equipment, a clear sky and $130/m. From the folks I've talked to it blows away cell hot spot speeds.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
gemert wrote:
ATT has a Unite Explore hotspot device. On the unlimited + plan it never automatically slows down. After he uses 22GB it may be "managed" or "De-prioritized". That means that other devices that have not used 22gb have a higher priority on the network. I have used my Unite Explore from Florida to Alaska (through Canada) and back with no issues. We use upwards of 300GB some months with very little slow down issues. Usually only in very crowded camp grounds. I had Verizon and T Mobil at the start of this trip and ATT has been the most reliable service for us. I have canceled all but one V phone and the T phone and hotspot.

On edit, I should have added that the Unite Explore was a 20 dollar a month add on to the unlimited + plan. That depends on how many lines you have though.

Thanks for this info. I got the Unite Explore and the Unlimited Plus data plan. The dude at AT&T said that they didn't carry the Unite Explore and you couldn't ever get unlimited data with a hotspot, but I told him "I know a guy" who got both. Sure enough, they had the device in stock and they were able to set it up with this plan.

Thanks again for your info. Gotta love the brain bank.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
I suggest he investigate the Mobley device from AT&T

Missed by a month or two.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
The $20.00 Unlimited Mobley plan is gone, although you can add it to one of AT&T's current plans. If you want a separate device & plan, I'd look into Jerry's suggestion.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
ATT has a Unite Explore hotspot device. On the unlimited + plan it never automatically slows down. After he uses 22GB it may be "managed" or "De-prioritized". That means that other devices that have not used 22gb have a higher priority on the network. I have used my Unite Explore from Florida to Alaska (through Canada) and back with no issues. We use upwards of 300GB some months with very little slow down issues. Usually only in very crowded camp grounds. I had Verizon and T Mobil at the start of this trip and ATT has been the most reliable service for us. I have canceled all but one V phone and the T phone and hotspot.

On edit, I should have added that the Unite Explore was a 20 dollar a month add on to the unlimited + plan. That depends on how many lines you have though.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
It seems you indicated he currently uses AT&T and a phone hotspot. I've done this for 4 months at a time for 8 hours a day. If this is the case you should just bump to unlimited data for the time needed and then drop back to a cheaper plan when the project is completed. This is very simple to do with AT&T.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TMO is also month to month no contract. I'd pick the strongest signal with the cheapest rate.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
look at this
att data only plans
https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Common/ShopRatePlans.action
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
the point of this discussion, is not what somebody might pay for a limited (2)month spread, as posted above

it is about, what IS or might be available with ATT in Wyoming ?
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
And if some are spending upwards of a hundred for 10Gigs from Verizon, switch to a total wireless cell or hotspot. Verizon towers,
Unlimited talk and 5 gigs of 4g data for $35 a month and additional data is 3 gigs for $10

MrWizard
specials come and go

need to latch onto a special promotion to get data a cheap/prices

6 months ago the Mobely was selling for $79, but what drove the sale was a $20 a month " Connected Car " unlimted data plan

i along with some other members ordered one
the data cost me $22.01 per month

i still have my verizon unlimted plan, but i spread my use across both devices

ATT has some specials going, i think $35 for unlimted on a 'TABLET'

whether or not this might help your friend, you will have to ask him

he probably can't use Metro PCS which uses T-moble
but they have $59? phone plan with unlimited data
i think the same plan is available from Tmo
but Metro is pre-pay month to month no contract
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
We spend a lot of time on the fringe of cell coverage which is just as bad for wifi/internet access as burning up expensive data. On our latest assignment we used free wifi at the following: Visitor Center, Tim Hortons, Library, and the best being a community center in the local grocery store. Libraries are the first place to look and failing that in the past we have actually asked permission to use a hotel lobby and their wifi. It works for us but we are flexible on our time and locations.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Depends a lot on what provider is best in the area. Several years ago I bought a pay as you go MIFI box from Verizon, to use in an area where the AT&T service was weak. When I need it, I just actvate it and pay for however long I need it, then it doesn't cost me anything until I need it again. Last time I used it, the price was $100 for 10 Gb of data, over a two-month period. We had a two month gig, at the end I had used 9.5 GB and all my time, so it worked well. and we had excellent speed.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The Mobley units are designed to work through the vehicles OBDII access port, but if you check through Amazon and some other retailers you will find that there are power supply adaptors available for it that allow it to function from anywhere that a 120VAC supply is available.