cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wifi question

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have wifi at the house.One of our neighbors kids asked me if I would give him the pass word for it. I said no,because it's my understanding that if he is using it,it will slow down my connection.Am I correct?
11 REPLIES 11

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be leery.... of him on your router and being able to somehow hack into your computer. Even if someone tells me that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE for this to happen... I would not share my router even if it were sectioned with different passwords.
Kathy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Wilburn wrote:
Yep. And if he does something illegal, the cops will come knocking on your door.

also giving him the password is likely a violation of your internet service provider's terms of use.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have a guest network/password on my routers for adult relatives when entertaining. No way would I share with a neighbor. Especially a neighbors kid. What's wrong with their internet? My friends fast internet slows to a crawl when his two kids are gaming.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Just for kicks, you could ask his parents why he might want to use your wifi.

Well, that would be a hoot.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Just for kicks, you could ask his parents why he might want to use your wifi.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
What about his parents? If you decide to do something for this kid, do you have parental controls, watchdog program. Maybe they do not want the kid surfing.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
It is still traceable to your ISP and then you. No I would not do that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
it will slow down my connection.Am I correct?
Depending on what he's doing, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
Not only will it slow your connection down, but what if he gives the password to one of his friends and he gives it to his of his friends then someone has a music download party, where would it be traced too?
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

You could setup a second WiFi router connected from one your primary router's LAN ports, and set a subnet address different from yours. This would keep him off your network, and give him a separate password.

Some free third party router firmware such as DD-WRT will allow you to do this from a single router - creating a guest network. But need to find a compatible router. You could also set QoS rules to limit his bandwidth usage and net speed, restrict access to certain websites, and also give you primary access when you're on the net. But admittedly, somewhat involved to setup if you've not done so previously.

Dave_Wilburn
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. And if he does something illegal, the cops will come knocking on your door.
04.5 Ram 3500, '12 Voltage 3905 Epic, 69 baja bug