cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 laptop start up screen black

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went camping for a week when I returned my start up screen was black instead of having a picture on it. In addition various apps are also reversed instead of black lettering on a white back ground it is white lettering on a black background.There is also a purple border around the screen. Tried resetting defaults, removing battery for a few mins then reinstalling, they did not help. Any help would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks 1492 and gorden three I believe it was the high contrast button. Before I saw your replies I remembered System Restore so I restored the system to a previous week and that fixed the problem. When I saw your posts I went in and disabled the high contrast option so it would not happen again.

If your screen looks like below, then high contrast is enabled. You should disable it as the keyboard switch combo can accidentally be pressed? Which is likely what happened in your case?

Click For Full-Size Image.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Sounds like you've somehow enabled color filter, which is typically used for those with vision contrast issues. Check WIN ease of access setting? I'm on my smartphone, and not good at touch typing, unable to give more details.

x2 sounds like high contrast or limited sight mode is turned on.

Turn on/off High Contrast
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
Try this from the Windows Support website:

If you get to a login screen and then your screen goes black or blank, try the following actions:

Action 1: Try a Windows Key sequence to wake the screen.

If you have a keyboard connected, press the Windows logo key+Ctrl+Shift+B. If youโ€™re in tablet mode, press the volume-up and volume-down buttons simultaneously three times within 2 seconds.
Screen is not completely black or blank, everything works only background is black and lettering is white.

Sounds like you've somehow enabled color filter, which is typically used for those with vision contrast issues. Check WIN ease of access setting? I'm on my smartphone, and not good at touch typing, unable to give more details.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Try this from the Windows Support website:

If you get to a login screen and then your screen goes black or blank, try the following actions:

Action 1: Try a Windows Key sequence to wake the screen.

If you have a keyboard connected, press the Windows logo key+Ctrl+Shift+B. If youโ€™re in tablet mode, press the volume-up and volume-down buttons simultaneously three times within 2 seconds.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)