cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone began the conversion to 10? Problems, comments? Do you know if it loads on top of say, 7, or replaces all of the older version?

Thanks,

Jim
156 REPLIES 156

Explorer
Explorer
I saw in my update history yesterday on a less than six month old Asus laptop running Win 8.1 Upgrade, that Win 10 Upgrade failed to install. There seems to be a lot about this on computer sites, and Microsoft is saying that all this means is to wait for the notice from them to install. So I will wait. I don't want it to install before we are finished traveling this season anyway, so a few more weeks is fine. That is if the notice to install ever does come...
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind about my previous post. I figured it out. All is well.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What an undertaking for Microsoft. Glad the government isn't doing it, we would be going back to Win 98 and not SE either.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
still waiting for windows to let me load........you?

Nope, requested it last Friday received it same day.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Installed on a ASUS laptop this last weekend. Everything is fine, although it will take me a while to get used to it and get it personalized. Do we Windows users really have any choice but to update, and I am not talking about switching operating systems? I would have stayed with XP forever if they promised updates forever.

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
still waiting for windows to let me load........you?
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I just updated to win10. Every thing works as it should, at least so far. Only problem I have is with display. Everything is blue or white print with a black background. Have not yet figured how to correct this. Any suggestions?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
One fast shortcut...Find the Windows Icon on the Bottom Left.
Right Click......

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My ISP's major backbone is through a foreign country so I don't much care what Windows does with my usage data. Nothing goes on the cloud and nothing really important can ever be accessed from the outside.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember one version of Microsoft windows back in the day was forwarding everything you did to AUSTRALIA...

Forget which one that was now haha...

My still single older neighbor said the same thing - He thinks he is ready to scrub MS and go with UNIX or something...

He is the same guy that tore out all of his plaster wall board and replaced it on the outside walls with aluminum foil backing. I still see his WIFI over here some 200 feet away haha... Didn't have the heart to tell him...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
w/ all the privacy issues being discussed, i unreserved my w10 upgrade for now. licensing policies and vague wording of this 'free' OS are troubling
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme wrote:
So you ended up doing the update anyway.

That is the point. It would not activate and would not take your product key. It did not treat it as a update.
You could have called MS and pay the fee. The update first made it an update.

Yes you can do a clean install ONCE you do the update.

My info came from IT and bata tester for W10.
To get Windows 10 free you must have Win 7 or 8.1 so any way you slice it, it is an upgrade. The point is that anybody can do a clean install without having to pay anything. I could have called Microsoft and resolved the product key issue but it seemed simpler just to do an upgrade over my Win 7 setup followed by a clean install.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
Oldme wrote:
FYI...
Be aware that if you make an install disk or other media, W10 is no longer considered an update, being it would be a clean install. You then need to get the Product key from MS which will the $100.00+ depending on what product you downloaded.

There are several articles on the web that advocate doing this nut they wail to tell you this is no longer considered an update to W7/W8.
Not true
I created a Win 10 install USB thumbdrive and during the install it prompts you to choose either an update or a clean install. If you choose update it installs Win 10 and leaves all your documents and software intact. A clean install will wipe out everything and then install Win 10.

I did have an issue trying to do a clean install. It didn't like my product key and would not activate. I ended up doing an update and then did a clean install after the update.

So you ended up doing the update anyway.

That is the point. It would not activate and would not take your product key. It did not treat it as a update.
You could have called MS and pay the fee. The update first made it an update.

Yes you can do a clean install ONCE you do the update.

My info came from IT and bata tester for W10.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA TRAVELER - We just did that yesterday and put WIN8.1 back to its original state. Took over 200 MS UPDATES to get it back up with todays current UPGRADES...

It did download the FREE WIN10 ICON and we re-registered again. Now waiting for MS to send notification to continue...

I am also still waiting on the last WIN7 Laptop to get updated. We had two just alike from QVC DELL and one got upgraded a couple of days ago with no problems so this other one should go just fine. They are identical except for the case color scheme...

UPDATE: Aug 4 - Our WIN8.1 HP AMD LAPTOP got permission to continue on to the upgrade again today and all went fine after the big refresh we did to it yesterday... Guess the UPDATES needed refreshed or something... Anywho it is up and running now with WIN10.

One more to go with a WIN7 DELL INTEL LA{TOP then we done with the upgrades...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS