cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone began the conversion to 10? Problems, comments? Do you know if it loads on top of say, 7, or replaces all of the older version?

Thanks,

Jim
156 REPLIES 156

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I plan to wait on W10 due to the forced downloads. With my Verizon data plan and the typical 100MB+ multiple monthly updates I want to be in control of when the data is downloaded and not when MS wants to download.

I also want the ability to hide/block updates before they happen and my understanding is that with W10 that is only possible post install. There are just to many past MS invalid updates to suit me.

Forced updates do solve the issue of OS issues due to outdated versions and is certainly valid for that reason. I just don't want to be on the leading edge of installs and I want to control the downloads. But that's me and this might work for most users who are clueless anyway.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Roy,

Wait a few months and if your problem is common it will be fixed. Drivers are always a problem. It could be vendor drivers.

Have you tried a clean install?

Bob

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Dell is AMD based - but it's a desktop. Phenom II 1075T (hex core). There wasn't any problem with the changeover.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was really hard for me to give up my DELL M90 WORKSTATIONS running on XP-PRO..

These plugged into the DELL DOCKING STATION and my house and RV setup were almost exactly the same running DUAL MONITORs and external keyboards, mouse, and sound all wired in. I could grab my M90 laptop and plop it into the RV Docking station and all was almost all the same... With M90 I never had to open the laptop lid but with the dells I can only get to the power button after opening the screen. As soon as it starts loading I can go ahead and close the lid.

With my Radio setups the docking station was really neat with all of its additional hookups... Having to do work-arounds to get all of those setup at both locations and eliminate additional cables to be hooked up to the LAPTOP. Sure miss the large docking connector on the bottom of the M90 LAPTOPS

I finally migrated to the DEL INSPIRON 17 5000 Series LAPTOP running 8.1 and using a universal docking station with 3.0 USB connections from the laptop. Its working fine but I still have four or five cables to hookup when I move my DELL laptops... Just couldn't afford the high dollar WORKSTATION DELLs to do what I was doing before with the DELL Port Replicators...

My two DELL M90s XPs are still being used in my radio console but doesn't get connected to the internet much...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like I am the only one in this group that had my WIN10 upgrade fail on a WIN8.1 laptop. It stops at the 32% upgrade point which is the DRIVERS etc...

Tried all the easy things we could think of with no luck. QVC tried to upgrade it from their side with no luck. Always stops at the 32% load point.

I had one other 8.1 do just fine and working great. Yesterday got notification to do one of the WIN7 LAPTOPS and that went great. Still waiting for notification to proceed on the other WIN7 Laptop.

Don't know what to do with the one WIN8.1 HP LAPTOP using AMD chips... All of my other LAPTOPS are DELLs using the INTEL chips. Might be a clue here...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:
Sure, but are all those people using their email addresses to login to Windows? Most people I know are not. they're using local accounts. Just having a hotmail.com or outlook.com email address does not enable this feature - it's based on the account that logs into Windows.

I never set any to log on.
Only my wife and I use them.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
road-runner wrote:
All hotmail users were migrated to outlook.com.
No they weren't.

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, but are all those people using their email addresses to login to Windows? Most people I know are not. they're using local accounts. Just having a hotmail.com or outlook.com email address does not enable this feature - it's based on the account that logs into Windows.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
bwanshoom wrote:
road-runner, those people you're referring to are probably NOT running an online account to access Windows, i.e. an outlook.com or other Microsoft account. WiFi sharing is not enabled for local accounts so that reduces the number of users potentially "impacted".
All hotmail users were migrated to outlook.com. That's a lot of users, including a couple that I'm the "mother hen" for.

"Thanks for being a loyal Hotmail customer. As part of the transition from Hotmail to Outlook.comโ€”the next generation of free email from Microsoftโ€”there is no longer an option to switch back."
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Well Gang,
I just changed over to W10 last night. It took about 45 minutes for them to remotely change over the system from 8 to 10. So far, in the limited time I've been here playing with it, the jury is still out on whether I like it or not. It's just like when I went from 7 to 8, I had to get used to it. So far, I've only got one issue or, "complaint" if you will.

When on 8, I could be on RV.net or, IRV2 or what ever and, there were tool bars across the top. I had a FAVORITE BAR across the top that had those above mentioned forums and a few more. I cold click right on any one of those and go right to them. But, on 10, I see no way to add a tool bar across the top. Maybe I'm not supposed to. Maybe that's one of their "Improvements" between 8 and 10.

Another thing, If I make a comment to a post on RV.net or any of the others, when I'm done and have submitted my answer, I could right click on the back button on the top left of the screen and, it would have a drop down list that would have all the posts (various subjects) and, I could go right back to the list with out keep hitting the back arrow like you have to do with 10.

One more thing, on 8, I had various places I could click on to go "HOME". So far, I seen no way to exit RV.net or any other forum by hitting "home" (little House) etc. I know I'm new at this 10 thing and, am slowly figuring things out but, sometimes a little help would really be appreciated.
Scott

On the upper right you will see ... that is dot dot dot.
That is the settings for Edge.
You can from there set the "Home" button and import favorites and show favorite bar.

Note it will only import from Internet Explorer and Chrome.

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner, those people you're referring to are probably NOT running an online account to access Windows, i.e. an outlook.com or other Microsoft account. WiFi sharing is not enabled for local accounts so that reduces the number of users potentially "impacted".
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oldme wrote:

Not a bug.
You can turn it off.

I formatted the initial message poorly. I was not suggesting that the wifi sharing is a bug. It is of course a deliberate "feature". I was presenting the "something happened" screen as a bug. As far as turning off the sharing goes, the people in this thread are savvy and can do it. I support a half-dozen or so friends and neighbors with win 7 and 8 machines that I think are a more accurate representation of the majority of users. They buy a new machine with all the bloatware and don't have a clue what's going on. Dropbox nags them even though they never used it. The touchscreen and fingerprint services are running even though their machine has neither, and so forth. They add wizzy apps, then come to me when the machine takes 5 minutes to boot and 2 minutes to launch the browser. These users, which I believe are pretty typical, won't have a clue what the wifi sharing is or what it means, and if they did they'd never figure out how to turn it off. It should be off by default, to be enabled by somebody who knows what the heck the consequences of what they're doing are.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
I can't believe someone would give up on W10 after ONE day!

If you are referring to me (I installed it yesterday) I did not give up.... I did, however, fix S&T, dug the install DVD out of my bag, the Authorization key.jpg off my hard drive and re-installed it.. Works great now.

So all that's left is the issues with Edge which really shines on one job I used it for but sadly is not so good on others.

But MSIE is included (I found out today it is still included even on clean installs) so .... There is a way around that.

In short. It's looking better every hour.

One thing I really like.. on Win 8.1 many apps only ran in a full size window,, Some you could "Split" the screen into two (one traditional desktop screen and the other the app) but on Win-10 the same apps run in windows.. mostly resizable (At least the ones I've tried so far) this is very good. Very very good.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
John, What version of S&T didn't work for you?

Bob