cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone began the conversion to 10? Problems, comments? Do you know if it loads on top of say, 7, or replaces all of the older version?

Thanks,

Jim
156 REPLIES 156

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
I just changed over to W10 last night. It took about 45 minutes for them to remotely change over the system from 8 to 10. So far, in the limited time I've been here playing with it, the jury is still out on whether I like it or not. It's just like when I went from 7 to 8, I had to get used to it. So far, I've only got one issue or, "complaint" if you will.

When on 8, I could be on RV.net or, IRV2 or what ever and, there were tool bars across the top. I had a FAVORITE BAR across the top that had those above mentioned forums and a few more. I cold click right on any one of those and go right to them. But, on 10, I see no way to add a tool bar across the top. Maybe I'm not supposed to. Maybe that's one of their "Improvements" between 8 and 10.

Another thing, If I make a comment to a post on RV.net or any of the others, when I'm done and have submitted my answer, I could right click on the back button on the top left of the screen and, it would have a drop down list that would have all the posts (various subjects) and, I could go right back to the list with out keep hitting the back arrow like you have to do with 10.

One more thing, on 8, I had various places I could click on to go "HOME". So far, I seen no way to exit RV.net or any other forum by hitting "home" (little House) etc. I know I'm new at this 10 thing and, am slowly figuring things out but, sometimes a little help would really be appreciated.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I now have one computer that is XP (Can not upgrade those without $$$$) one 8.1 (Will likely upgrade next week) and this one running 10.

So far I'm happy with the 10

As for "Bricks" it is true that windows 8 and above WILL BRICK some accessories.. The one I know of.. I have 3 "Genuine article" devices that work 100% under 8 or 10.. I do not have any counterfits.. The counterfits get bricked.

I do have another Genuine Article version of that same adapter but by a different company.. That company has yet to provide drivers for 8 or 10 so their products do not work

That adapter was repalced by the 3rd of the ones which do work.

(These are USB <->RS232 adapters. FTDI (work) and Profilic (Work with XP) the counterfit FTDI chips turn to brick if used with 8 or 10 will no longer work or so I am told.. As I said, I do not have any. I got the good stuff.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
On the left in All Aps ypu will find every application in alphabetical order.You will also see some new ones that MS adds in as updates.
"Life at a glance" has the weather you can set, notes and free games.
You will also see "Recently added" for that was added today.

We still have on XP that has one dedicated job, one W7 waiting for the updates
and the wife's W8.1 waiting for updates and my laptop with 10.
W10 is good, I am very pleased.

Note:
As I just posted you can stop the updates and you can go back to W7/8
within 30 days.

If you like XP enjoy it for while it is supported.
That is supported by MS and any cards / parts you may need to replace.

No need to attempt to cut down others for their progress.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:
Wow, some insane posts I see here. So now XP is more secure than 10 and Microsoft now installs Adware, bloatware and bricks your PC.:S

I am always amazed at folks drinking the update koolaid..

Never said XP is more "secure" but BLINDLY installing each and every update CAN expose your OS to a BAD update..

MS has had quite a few very recent blunders for Win7 AND Win8, while for the most part updates tend to be "harmless" in nature, there are many good reasons as to why you DON'T really want to be the first guinea pig for the updates..

Many large companies actually run their OWN "Windows Update Server", why? Well they DON'T TRUST MS Updates and will run MANY tests in VMs to ensure the updates don't foul up the PCs they maintain..

Only once the updates have been tested and found to be necessary AND harmless they will copy the updates to their server and push the update to the PCs..

A former coworker of mine actually has worked for a few companies in the IT departments testing updates and approving the release of them..

I personally like to hold off the updates for a week and monitor the chat forums for complaints.. Saved me from downloading that stupid Win10 nag on my Win7 PC.. and before that a Font corruption issue with a update.. to name a couple of recent blunders..

Win10 HOME you won't have a choice, Win10 "Pro" you can only temporarily DELAY the automatic download and install..

I like to think of it as an INFORMED consumer instead of a paranoid uninformed user that accepts all updates so it makes them feel safe, secure from all those nasty s waiting to turn their PC into a mindless robot..

Just because you have all the latest patches it doesn't make your PC any "safer".. I HAVE seen PCs which were fully up to date with all patches FAIL as fast as one that was not patched..

Better security really starts right at your browser level, if you are running IE or any other browser barefoot you WILL at some point and time get hit with malware. I used to drink the koolaid of patches and ran IE..

I found that out the hard way, now I run FireFox with AdBlock Plus PLUS NoScript.. Makes it one heck of a lot harder for a drive by malware hit if it can't run JavaScripts..

X2!!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Updated my 8.1 laptop to Win 10 and everything went great. A few new items, but an easy migration. I'm in the process of updating the wife's Win 7 laptop now. Will be a bigger change for her, but she doesn't use it much anyway.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
BTW, there is no "Windows Update" in the W10 control panel.

You can now stop forced updates
and you have 30 days to go back to W7/8

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Up graded the laptop to 10 works good had win 7.

5er4ever
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded to Win-10 and just did a free paragon backup to external usb.

Upgraded two other machines today.

Will also back them up in the morning.
Donโ€™t bother me. Iโ€™m living happily ever after. ๐Ÿ˜‰

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rats! Just discovered that Norton Ghost 15 (backup) doesn't work with Windows 10. Now I have no file backup.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
BTW, there is no "Windows Update" in the W10 control panel.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We 'never' shut down our PCs - they sleep. Mine wakes up in about 5-6 seconds - just long enough for the HDD to spin up. Can't understand why people shut down anymore. Well, I can: the XP machine that I was running a month ago didn't sleep properly so there wasn't much choice but to shut down.

FYI- I just did a W10 sleep restart - it took 18 seconds. Hmmmm - not an improvement.

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Edge doesn't support any extensions at all, at least not yet. It does have Flash baked into it though, the same way Chrome does.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Someone mentioned that EDGE does not have Ad-block. I gather Internet Explorer still does.

OK, MISE is still in there,, HEre is how to get at it both 1st time and 2nd

Right click on the windows in the lower left (Start menu) choose RUN
Enter: iexplore.exe
This should open MSIE with all your bookmarks in tact

Now ther will be the familure "E" icon in the task bar (To the right of the start icon) right click on it and PIN TO TASKBAR..

next time you need it click on that E icon again. It is brigbhter than the Edge one.

I am having serious issues with Edge not wanting me to access several web pages.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
The desktop I use here at home runs Win XP. When I bought it in late 2008, Win XP had been discontinued and was not available pre-installed on a new computer. Everyone was pushing Win Vista. Win 7 was not out yet. So I bought a bare-bones PC, and separately bought the Win XP and installed it and configured the machine myself.

Fast forward to 2014: I bought a copy of Win 7 intending to load that in place of Win XP prior to the April 2014 cut-off of Extended Support for Win XP. In considering all the customization I have done to this computer, and the crazy amount of time it would take to re-do it after a Win 7 install, I decided to take a risk and stick with Win XP. Iโ€™m not sorry that I did.

BTW, Microsoft is still updating Win XP. I know because I have this computer set up so that updates are only installed with my permission.

My laptop runs Win 7. I use it infrequently and when I boot up, it takes forever because the OS gives priority to downloading Win updates. Then when I shut it down, it takes a very long time again installing the dozens of updates.

I would never choose to be among the first to try a new OS, even if it were free. I remember Win Vista!

I donโ€™t plan to โ€œfixโ€ this PC unless and until it is broken.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
W10 is up and running. Only problem so far is that it doesn't seem to support my usual display resolution. It's only running 1280x1024.

EDIT: there must have been a "magic background download" because the display flashed twice and switched to full 1920x1080 resolution that wasn't available when I first booted.