cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 7 Offer ??

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Running Windows 7 using Google as browser. This morning while online a new window popped up supposedly from Microsoft offering a download to update drivers on Windows 7. I'm always skeptical of these offers. Are they really from Microsoft? If so why don't they just update with normal automatic updates? Any thoughts?
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)
13 REPLIES 13

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Just confirmed my suspicions.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
MS does not distribute updates through web browser popups. Windows OS and application security updates are handled by Windows Update (at least since XP) and updates to Microsoft applications not distributed this way require you to go to a Microsoft website.

Although Windows includes many generic drivers for broad classes of hardware, Microsoft does not distribute these in browser popups. Most device-specific drivers are distributed by hardware manufacturers. Windows might search for a driver when new hardware is installed, but updates for these are also not pushed by browser popups.

Browsers may notify of the need for updates to plug-ins (Flash particularly) or system services (e.g. Direct X, .NET Framework, Silverlight, Visual C++ distributables) when you go to a website that wants a newer version. These are not really drivers, and most of the time the system services updates are pushed by Windows update, or you get notification when trying to install a new application that needs a newer version.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
sch911 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
If it is a legitimate "Windows Update" then it is different from scams and ransomware. I don't use "Windows Update" to update hardware drivers, I prefer to do it myself.

And you are the exact type of user to become "infected". It is always best to keep Windows updated through Windows Update!
I don't mean to offend, but that is a ridiculous statement. Updating your device drivers through Windows Update is a good way to bork a system. And device drivers have basically nothing to do with the security of your system. Do a little more reading and you'll understand.

Correct!

Your "drivers" do not "go out of date" and allowing MS to randomly drop their drivers over top of OTHER MANUFACTURER written drivers can often cause stability issues at the least and at the worst a disabled PC or parts of your PC (no video? tiny text?) as far as Windows is concerned.

If you feel you MUST update drivers it IS always BEST to go to the MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE and see if the manufacturer has issued a new set of drivers.

It IS the HARDWARE manufacturers "responsibility" to write the drivers for their hardware, not MS..

As far as the OPs issue, NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER click or accept ANY popup driver/software updates. Typically those are malware or virus laden offers an now days even worse RANSOMWARE which will hold your PC hostage until you pay up and even then you might be out of luck and money..

I would highly recommend that you run a malware scan and a virus scan to make sure you didn't get a drive by hit of unwanted stuff..

haydoracin wrote:
Running Windows 7 using Google as browser. This morning while online a new window popped up supposedly from Microsoft offering a download to update drivers on Windows 7. I'm always skeptical of these offers. Are they really from Microsoft? If so why don't they just update with normal automatic updates? Any thoughts?

Windows doesn't use popups in "browsers" for system updates. So could have been a scam? However, you may get browser notifications for plug-in updates such as Flash or Silverlight for instance.

You can always check the status of WIN updates by clicking the Start Orb, and in Search type "Windows Updates". Click the link to check what MS updates are available.

USAFBILL wrote:
I always ignore those updates as they are usually not from Microsoft and Window is not really receiving updates as far as I know. I am still using Windows 7 and see no need to update anything except 3rd party security

This is exactly the thinking that keep those of us who work in Enterprise IT shaking our heads? Windows 7 will continue to receive regular security patches and updates until Jan 2020.

Blocking MS security updates is playing vulnerability roulette, in which the odds overwhelmingly favor hackers. I seriously doubt anyone would consciously want to open a backdoor that compromises one's own system. Worse when a compromised system is used as a zombie to attack other users.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
sch911 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
If it is a legitimate "Windows Update" then it is different from scams and ransomware. I don't use "Windows Update" to update hardware drivers, I prefer to do it myself.

And you are the exact type of user to become "infected". It is always best to keep Windows updated through Windows Update!
I don't mean to offend, but that is a ridiculous statement. Updating your device drivers through Windows Update is a good way to bork a system. And device drivers have basically nothing to do with the security of your system. Do a little more reading and you'll understand.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I sure would report it as a screen shot to Microsoft. They tend to get very cranky with fraudsters. They have a big fist and prosecute. Years ago a computer guru told me, Microsoft has hackers that effectively deal with foreign scumbags. Don't know if that's fact but I wouldn't put it past them...

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:

If you do that you'll be sending bit coins as payment to some "software" company in RU to "fix" your machine. Anything that pops up in your browser while surfing is NOT legit!

Click "yes" and you're in for a world of hurt. All Microsoft updates come in through your regular Update app in your Control Panel and very few of those updates are driver related unless through OEM channels which are usual best avoided updating from Microsoft anyway.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I still run Win 7 on my work machine and I get forced security updates from MS every 2-3 weeks, so they are definitely still updating Win7. That said, I have never known MS to offer to just update drivers or to have a popup tell you about it. I would ignore the "kind" offer.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is possible that it is from Microsoft to get your computer ready for the Win 10 free upgrade.
You could open Windows upgrade and manually do the upgrades that are optional.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
I always ignore those updates as they are usually not from Microsoft and Window is not really receiving updates as far as I know. I am still using Windows 7 and see no need to update anything except 3rd party security
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab