cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 question

VAHillbilly
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1. Coming from Windows 7 I understand the frustration many have expressed. I have been trying to download Classic Shell to emulate the earlier Windows screen but it is being blocked. The download file is a .exe which apparently 8.1 doesn't like. The laptop has McAfee security but it does not appear to be what is doing the blocking as I tried to download a help app from McAfee and got the same block.

What needs to be modified to allow me to download .exe files from trusted sites? I would like to authorize the .exe download on a case by case basis.
18 REPLIES 18

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Appears that windows 10 won't be available until 7-29

And Quote:

So if you’re part of Microsoft’s Windows Insider beta testing program, maybe you’ll get it on July 29th. Maybe. For everyone else, you’d better have clicked that “Get Windows 10” prompt that mysteriously showed up in your Windows toolbar to reserve your digital copy of the OS, because those will also be rolling out in waves. Microsoft doesn’t say if they’re first-come, first-serve, but the company doesn’t say they aren’t, either.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
You can also wait a few weeks and download Windows 10 for free...it will be replacing the disaster Windows 8 anyway.

But who knows what Windows 10 will be like :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
You can also wait a few weeks and download Windows 10 for free...it will be replacing the disaster Windows 8 anyway.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I found this:
Basically I would disable McAfee and try again. If it works, enable McAfee and run a scan to make sure you didn't pick up some thing evil...which is unlikely.

In this case it is far more likely that if you are using an Antivirus/Malware/Internet Security suite that it is blocking or quarantining the file you are attempting to download. If the file you are downloading is from a known and trusted source you can try disabling your antivirus software and attempting the download again. If that still doesn’t get it through then we can try running IE in the no Add On mode and attempting the download. To launch IE with no Add Ons go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and clicking the icon for Internet Explorer No Add Ons.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro