cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 8.1

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new laptop with windows 8 & upgraded to 8.1 & i'am trying to figure out how to save favorites websites.Also how do you delete folders in your mail.I'am more than a little confused.I also have a touch screen coputer,Don't know if that makes a different,I don't get none of it,lol,Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:
I'll ask at work tomorrow and try to remember to give you an answer.

So I asked two very competent technicians here at work and they both said KillDisk works great and one of them said DBAN also is good.

KillDisk

DBAN With this one you would download the iso file and burn (copy) it to a CD, then boot from the CD (might need to go into the bios to do this), and you will be presented with multiple wipe choices (use the DOD 3 wipe)

Hope this helps. You may get much better responses by starting a thread dedicated to this, however...... Thanks.
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
thanks SkiingSixPack

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
I'll ask at work tomorrow and try to remember to give you an answer.
My better half
Summit Red Sunshine-4

It's very easy just...

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
You bet. The old adage still holds true for Windows ... "If you want to do anything to anything, right-click it!" At least it is a good place to start.... ๐Ÿ™‚
My better half
Summit Red Sunshine-4

It's very easy just...

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:
Now, you also need to understand the use of that windows key on your keyboard. If you do a Windows key + x you will get to the "power menu." This lists the most desirable menu options INCLUDING SHUT DOWN!!!

The "Power Menu" is also available by moving your mouse to the lower left corner (where the Windows logo appears) and right-clicking. This works in both Metro & Desktop modes.

If you want to learn what the other Windows key + shortcuts are, the Windows Store has a number of free apps; search "Windows 8 shortcuts".

Good luck!

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack,

Awesome info, thanks for sharing. Just got a new laptop and this info put me into the 21 century!!!!!

If you have any more tidbits of "how to" please share.

Thanks again.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
SkiingSixPack wrote:
Windows 8 is pretty confusing, at first. It can be tamed...

Pretty good summary Skiing!

I second that - a useful post for W8 newbies.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
SkiingSixPack wrote:

Pretty good summary Skiing!
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks alot to you all!!& yes it has helped & much appeciated.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Set up a gmail account and then have gmail go get your mail from your charter account. You can continue to use the charter email address, no one has to know you even have a gmail account. gmail will send/receive email as if it came from your charter account. If charter is like time warner my ISP then you will be much happier using gmail especially if you want to read the mail using iPhone or IPad or any modern device. Gmail also has a very nice calendar that can interface with iPhone as well.
Just remember that no one will care as much about your e-mail as you do. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you use it to receive receipts and things you want to keep, then keep them on your computer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer

First of all, you need to understand that there are two separate, yet integrated "modes" to Windows 8.1 There is the Metro or Tile mode and the familiar Desktop mode. You can switch between the two modes using the "Windows" key on the keyboard. It is the one between CTRL and ALT in the lower-left hand corner of the keyboard. (since you said laptop, you have a keyboard) Looks like the Windows logo.

On the Metro mode, you have tiles, both Live Tiles and static Tiles. You can move these around, add and remove them, re-size them, and break them up into groups. (Right-click a tile to see the options at the bottom, click the down arrow to go to the all apps page, then right-click the ones on there to "pin to start" to get them on the main tile start screen) Live tiles display information; News displays news stories, Sports displays sports stories, Photos displays a rolling slide show of your photos stored on the computer. Tiles are the Metro mode's equivalent of shortcuts. They can be shortcuts to "apps" or "applications." Apps open in Metro mode (no close/max/min button in the upper-right hand corner) Applications open in desktop mode; just like past Microsoft OSs (Win7, XP, Vista, Win95)

Apps are more like smartphone apps; smaller less powerful programs designed to be run without closing them. The mail app is a perfect example of smartphone-like apps. The mail app is set up identically to a mail app on a smartphone or other device. It only shows the last x number of days worth of mail (set in the settings page of the mail app), both in the inbox and in any of the folders you navigate to.

If you use a web-based or browser-based email service (gMail, yahoo mail, hotmail, live, msn, etc) you can just continue to use your browser (IE, chrome, firefox, safari, etc) to go to that mail web page. The benefit of setting up the mail app in Win 8.1 is that it can also sync your calendar and contacts if you use those with your email service. Those will be in the People apps and the Calendar app, respectively.

If you want to find something, go to the Metro mode (you will see tiles) and just start typing. The search box will pop-up as soon as you start typing. So, if you have Internet Explorer and you want to start it, you can just click the the tile for IE or you can start to type internet explorer and the search box comes up with Interneet Explorer under. You can just click on it.

The Corners are "hot-corners" meaning when you move your mouse up into a corner, you will see different things pop-up.
Upper-left hand corner gets last app or application that you were in...
Upper-left and then move (not drag) your mouse down gets you to your recently used apps...
Lower-left gets you your start button, that does the same thing as your Windows key on your keyboard (switches between modes)...
Upper-right corner gets you to the Charms (Search, Share, Start, Devices, Settings) The most useful is the Settings; this is context-sensitive settings, so if you are in your mail app, move your mouse up the the upper-right hand corner and click settings, you will be in the Mail app settings ... do this while in another app and you will get to that particular app's settings...

Now, you also need to understand the use of that windows key on your keyboard. If you do a Windows key + x you will get to the "power menu." This lists the most desirable menu options INCLUDING SHUT DOWN!!! There are many other Windows key + keyboard shortcuts... The Windows key is paramount to using Win 8.1

Hope this helps you acclimate to Win 8.1 ... You will be able to navigate around once the above starts to sink in. It takes a bit .... ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!!!
My better half
Summit Red Sunshine-4

It's very easy just...

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Set up a gmail account and then have gmail go get your mail from your charter account. You can continue to use the charter email address, no one has to know you even have a gmail account. gmail will send/receive email as if it came from your charter account. If charter is like time warner my ISP then you will be much happier using gmail especially if you want to read the mail using iPhone or IPad or any modern device. Gmail also has a very nice calendar that can interface with iPhone as well.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
To add a website to the "Tiles" using IE.. Go to the website you want to add. Then in the upper right corner of IE click on the "sprocket (tools)". Select the "add site to apps". A popup box will be displayed, click add. It adds the link on the all apps pages. To add the link to the tiles page, find the added entry, right click on the entry and select pin to start.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
So you use different email address with each of them?Thanks