cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows Laptop.. time to switch??

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for thoughts... My Windows 10 Laptop has been experiencing issues this past year and time to replace it.. The only thing I do with the Laptop is when in my recliner, read email, search INET, banking and other basic tasks.. All my MS Office documents are on the cloud.. Would a Chromebook serve my needs as I have 2 other desktops in the house to do serious matters/projects/photos.. I never travel with the laptop.. I don't know anyone with a chromebook to ask questions to and all salesman are pushing another Win 10 laptop.. Comments on Chromebook 32GB?
13 REPLIES 13

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of years ago we got the DW a Samsung TAB A about the time they were closing her model out and coming out with the current one. For travel, we use ships, ferries and reluctantly airplanes in addition to our rig for travels. They are pretty cool and do the same as a chrome book but a little smaller. I got one after we ran into sharing time with HER tablet on a ferry trip up to AK.

We can use it with the Ring doorbell as the front of our house is the back and the back is the front. View to ocean from back of house. Just an idea. It accepts a 32GB micro SD card and external HDD as well as new USB flash drives with micro USB port.

Has all the apps and is really cool for us.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a Chromebook from Costco and take it back if you don't like it. I took mine back because is wasn't any better than the old laptop I was planning to replace.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to use a Chromebook while traveling just be certain you will have Internet access.....this is why I like to keep my stuff on my own hard drive.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
AsheGuy wrote:
It is easy to change batteries on most laptops and Chromebooks
Did that. I have to physically remove and reinsert the battery to charge it. For the life of me I can't understand that.

Check to make sure all of the contacts are making connection. You may need to clean/burnish them to restore good connections. Some HP laptops have a current limiting feature which will kick in when the battery starts to decay and draws more current to charge. This disables the battery charging until you remove and reinstall the battery. A real pain in the ...
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy wrote:
It is easy to change batteries on most laptops and Chromebooks
Did that. I have to physically remove and reinsert the battery to charge it. For the life of me I can't understand that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Many people have problems printing with a Chromebook. It generally requires a wifi or networked printer but can use a USB if the printer is supported. The problem is IF the printer is supported. It was a real pain in the early days but is a little better today.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have gone to all Chrome books. and you can save on them. they support EXTRENAL hard drives.

one nice thing. both my Chromebooks got hit by a virus.. I managed to get to Settings. Advanced, Power wash and a couple minutes later was back to Brand new.. Since it's all backed up on the cloud (Google) a couple minutes after that I was back on line from a different access point.. All my files. (Save the ones on the local drive.. which were basically nothing) all my bookmarks. all my apps. Reloaded fast as the Router could ship 'em over.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Chromebooks also know how to charge a battery, but my HP laptop seems to have forgotten how.
More likely the battery than the device. My wife just occasionally uses her Chromebook and has let the battery totally discharge several times resulting in it not holding a charge very long. It is easy to change batteries on most laptops and Chromebooks (lots of how to videos on Youtube), the bigger problem is to find a source of batteries that have not been on the shelf of your source too long.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Chromebooks are a great alternative to Windows and are less expensive. I got my wife one and it is the perfect solution for many users. Web access, email, etc as well as all the Google apps including Google Apps that allows you to open most standard Windows documents and spreadsheets. No more Windows updates to deal with.

When my laptop with Windows starting acting up I replaced Windows with Linux Mint. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone not somewhat tech savvy but it's not that hard to do and my laptop is now just fine. Plus I still have a Windows 10 desktop for a few (very few) things I can't do on Linux.

Chromebooks, by the way, are based on Linux.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chromebooks also know how to charge a battery, but my HP laptop seems to have forgotten how.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Chromebook is fine as long as you don't have a dire need to save things, as there is no hard drive.

No hard drive needed! You can save pretty much everything you do with your Chromebook. It's all saved to your Google Drive storage. Just like most other current computers out there now day's.

Additionally, Chrome books have USB and most have a micro SD slot as well, easy to store stuff locally if desired.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Chromebook is fine as long as you don't have a dire need to save things, as there is no hard drive.

No hard drive needed! You can save pretty much everything you do with your Chromebook. It's all saved to your Google Drive storage. Just like most other current computers out there now day's.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II