cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wireless network in range

02rexhall
Explorer
Explorer
I have verizon dsl service and using d link router and i want to use a second laptop but it says no network in range. How do i get the laptop to find the router?
11 REPLIES 11

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
And be careful. Some of the laptops I've seen have a little button up near or as a secondary function of the "f" keys across the top that can turn on and off the wireless function. Get typing too fast and fatfinger a key and next thing you know, your wireless is gone.

So know your keyboard and it's extra functions.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
I encountered this exact scenario the other day and it was that the wifi on the laptop was not turned on. There was a switch on the side to turn wifi on/off.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Let's be clear: laptop "A" is seeing your wifi network, and it shows up by the name you assigned to it. Laptop "B" does not show that same wifi network.

Is this the case?

If so, your router is set up correctly, but something in B's settings is not correct. Perhaps it has a wifi switch (often on the front edge). If it is Win7, right click on the wireless symbol (lower right corner), open the Network and Sharing Center, and check the adaptor settings there. It's likely not "enabled".

Hate to ask a dumb question, but are you sure your laptop's WiFi is turned on? Are you seeing a red x on your wireless system tray icon on the bottom right screen of Windows Desktop?

docj
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
Is there a technology difference? How old is the laptop? How new is the router? If a newer "N" router and older "G" laptop they will not see each other.

I've yet to encounter an "n" router that was not backwards compatible with the "b" and "g" standards. Since most existing hardware in use is not "n", it would be stupid to market routers that didn't have backwards compatibility--virtually no one could use them without replacing everything else.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a technology difference? How old is the laptop? How new is the router? If a newer "N" router and older "G" laptop they will not see each other.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Or sign up for connectify!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
02rexhall wrote:
The router is in the same room. Where do i chech ssid broadcast enabled?

Even if your SSID, that's your network name, is hidden, you can still loggin. What is the network name and password, used on your first laptop. Don't actually post it here. Choose "Other Network". You will be prompted to enter the Network Name and Password. That should get you in. If not, there are other issues.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
02rexhall wrote:
How do i get the laptop to find the router?
Either enable the wifi or plug into the router.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

02rexhall
Explorer
Explorer
The router is in the same room. Where do i chech ssid broadcast enabled?

How far away is your laptop from the router? Are you sure you have SSID broadcast enabled?

If distance is an issue, than either using another router with repeater or bridge function may be a solution.