cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st RV Purchase

darrenlaiche
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be empty nesters in the Summer of 2017. Will mostly be us 2 RVing across the country working and playing, but will occasionally have 1-3 of our college aged kids. We are leaning towards a 5th Wheel due to more room, but open to a driving RV. What do you recommend and why? Particular brands with alot of storage, King Bed, recliners?
18 REPLIES 18

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth? Our Outback 298RE is a great TT for 2 people. Ours came with a stand alone table and chairs, but they do have the dinette which can be made into bed space. We took out the table and chairs and the recliner chairs and put in it's place a real couch with 2 recliner (each end).

Occasionally we have one of the kids with us (now in their 30's, but more we have one of the grandkids, maybe a couple times a year. For the amount of time we have guests, a camper with another fixed bed, or bunks is a waste of space.

Look for a camper that suits you and your spouse (only). Forget the kids. They will sleep on whatever is available. More than likely, they'll never come with you anyway due to work schedules, activities of their own, and they simply don't want to hang around parents any more. Once they get old enough, if they are interested in camping, they can get their own camper (or start with a tent, the way most of US started out). Am I being a bit selfish here with my ideas? Yes, absolutely. Kids are grown. It's time for you and your spouse to enjoy things now. Get the love shack that works for just the 2 of you, and (if or when) you have guests, they will sleep wherever!

FYI, rear living room with dual slide TT's and 5er's are absolutely awesome, especially when the back end is all window!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you thinking you'll be staying in one place for a few days or more at a time, or moving from spot to spot every day or every other day?

If you'll be spending relatively much time on the road, a motorhome might be more convenient than a trailer. Setup and teardown time is generally lower, and you have more ready access to the comforts of home while on the road. If you'll be spending more time in each location, those advantages are rather moot.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
wrong thread
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
A tent for the young ones. The perfect RV has room for Cocktails for 6, dinner for four and sleeps two.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu