cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A 1-ton vs. 3/4 ton

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
A friend bought a lightweight 5th wheel trailer, I don't recall the brand. He likes it. His old truck conked out and he bought a new 3/4 ton Ford. I asked him how it pulls it and he bragged on it, like, nothing to it. But I have read a ton of posts and a good percentage of people say just go ahead and buy a 1-ton and you're good to go. I have never owned a 1-ton. Are dual wheels pretty much required, is that your opinion? Reason I ask is I don't like the look of a dually, lol. If my friend can pull his 5th wheel fine and dandy with a 3/4 ton, seems a 1-ton that is not a dually would be fine. I also don't know how much rougher a ride a 1-ton would provide vs. a 3/4 ton. Buying a 3/4 ton would be great if it's enough! I liked his 5th wheel, far as the layout goes, very nice.
16 REPLIES 16

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If I read the Trailer Life - Towing Guide correctly, the 2018 F-350 can tow 4000 lbs more than the F250 (both with SRW and diesel) 14,000 vs. 18,000.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It all depends on the total loaded weight and the loaded pin weight of the 5er to determine the truck you need. A 250/2500 will work for a lighter 5er. A heavier 5er might need an SRW 350/3500. And an even heavier 5er might need a dually. But in spite of what many want you to believe, you do not need a dually simply because you buy a 5er. An SRW is stable towing a 5er if the trailer is matched to the truck ratings. It is all about the 5er weight and the truck load and tow ratings.