cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice for newbie

Scarroll
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I just bought a 24' rv and are getting ready to travel. My question is how to keep things from falling off the counter. Also how long does it take to get comfortable driving an rv
25 REPLIES 25

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Scarroll wrote:
My husband and I just bought a 24' rv and are getting ready to travel. My question is how to keep things from falling off the counter. Also how long does it take to get comfortable driving an rv
Like the others say, Put things away!
As far as how long it takes you to get comfortable, Well that takes about as long as you can get in the TV and say to your self. I can do this! And then proceed using common sense and the understanding that starting stopping and turning are going to have a different dynamic to them while towing!
No set time to get comfy, just don't get complacent when you are comfortable towing!
Also that you don't have your confidence shaken early on into your trip,Plan ahead for fuel stops, meals etc.!

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small TT but normally keep everything inside tubs and pack into the TT or truck...then unpack when we arrive.
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Museum putty for unimportant items. The rest get packed.

Ever see a video of the interior of a building in an earthquake? Your RV is subjected to earthquake conditions every time it is moved.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
When you stop and set up be careful when opening the cabinets or refrigerator for the first time as stuff can come tumbling out.

You will definitely learn to open cabinets slowly after traveling. I have found myself doing this at home after a trip. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
We leave some small, light, things on the counters but use the removable 3M Command Adhesive strips usually used to hang hooks to the wall, to hold them in place on shelves or counters. We like the Velcro like picture hanging strips for lots of things as when my wife changes her mind (as women do) it's easy to reposition with another re-fill strip.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
One line on my inside checklist says "Counters and tables cleared". The next line is "Cabinet doors secured".

We use childproof latches from Lowes to secure cabinet doors.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I wrap some casseroles and pans in bubble wrap and then kind of wedge things together vertically in one of my cabinets. I also pack soft things (dish towels, tablecloth) in the microwave to keep the glass turntable snug.

Part of our pre-go routine includes remembering to check the refrigerator - locked plus a pin - because it WILL fly open otherwise going around a sharp turn, spilling stuff all over the floor.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
One other thing to think about - if you have a microwave with a rotating turn table be sure to take that turn table out and store it securely somewhere. We've had ours pop out probably because of all the bouncing around on some rough highways. Chipped the ceramic turn table. Oh well, lesson learned.

We have a glass turntable in the microwave, and we wrap it in a dish towel, and make sure it's securely "seated" in the grooves that hold it. That has worked well for years. Slightly more work than removing the 2 rolls of paper towels.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
if you have a microwave with a rotating turn table be sure to take that turn table out and store it securely somewhere. We've had ours pop out probably because of all the bouncing around on some rough highways.

We put 2 rolls of paper towels in the Microwave. It's a snug fit that keeps the turntable from rattling. That also provides some extra storage, which is helpful in a Class B, or other smaller units. Granted, you have to remove the paper towels to use the microwave, but for us that's usually just once a day, and worth it to have a bit more space in the cabinets.
2013 RT 190-Popular

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Put everything away. Consider murphys law and assume that if it can fall or come loose etc, it will. Put heavier items like glass dishes low and to the back of the cupboard. Use various ways to fasten side by side cabinet handles together. it could be a small bungee cord or even a paper tube from a roll of paper towels shoved through 2 cabinet handles.

If you store stuff in the sink put some cloth down first so the vibration doesn't leave ugly wear marks in it. Absolutely make a check list on your phone or something and go over it each time you pack up. As you do it over and over you will get used to it but still use the check list.

When you stop and set up be careful when opening the cabinets or refrigerator for the first time as stuff can come tumbling out.

As far as getting used to driving it, as mentioned above go to a parking lot when it's not busy and practice. Agree on a set of hand signals when one person is outside directing the driver. DONT get excited and argue. It can be very frustrating so keep the mind set of conquering a job that you are both working at TOGETHER. Have the driver get out and walk back to see what it looks like from outside the rig. The person outside doing the directing has to learn about where they can be seen by the driver. Roll the windows down so the driver can hear the emergency STOP word. Watch you tube videos about rig tire placement before making your moves. Ignore the inconsiderate ones who pull up and want you out of the way instantly. Some cant remember that they were beginners at one time. When you are ready to fuel or eat, both of you need go into full aware mode as to how tight gas stations are and how you will get out. Put fuel price out of your mind and put ease of access first. I try to avoid any stations that have you pull in and face the building with cars parked in front of it. Relax and have fun.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Large items (coffee pots, toasters, etc.) should be put into a cupboard or placed on the bed (some folks wrap them in towels, the put them on the bed).

Small decorative items could be attached with museum putty. It does work great, but the item will be in one place (so moving it to dust, etc.).

If you get into the habit of putting things away right after use or after the last use of the stop, then it makes getting ready to "break camp" a lot easier and quicker.

How long it takes to get used to really depends on you. Some people adjust very quickly, others take some time. The important thing is to take it slow and don't pressure yourself. If you feel yourself getting stressed, then pull over and stop for a while. Driving stressed will create far more problems than anything else.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Scarroll wrote:

We have a few items that the wife has set up that we do not put away.

The clock in front of the television, the green plant at the end of the kitchen counter, the greenery and candles in the open space below the stereo, and other small items around the trailer.

She uses "museum putty". Museum putty

Seems to work quite well. Running on 3 years and 7000 miles.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing on the counter, nothing on the tables. Everything goes into cabinets, or drawers. What goes in cabinets is preferably packed tight (rolls of paper towels, TP, folded linens and towels all help to fill space.

Then you find out which cabinet doors can't handle the load of what wants to pitch itself out, and you fix or beef up those latches.

If there is something you need permanently on a counter or table top, it is best to bolt it down.

There is a first timer thing about putting stuff away in the kitchen like you might a home, then finding it all on the floor after your first ride on a rough road.

I was fairly comfortable driving my type C RV when I road tested before buying it, and the first few trips. Now with ten years and 30,000 miles under my belt, I am a lot less comfortable, knowing how other drivers behave around RVs on the highway, and knowing the stopping and maneuverability limitations of my RV.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
We use plactice boxes and containers and put everything away. Some items can be planced in the sink or shower. Driving an RV is not a big problem unless you allow yourself to be scared of it. You can use a large mall parking lot to get used to it.