cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioner freezing up question

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has an airxcel 48000 series roof top unit. My question is have any of you, who have this unit, had any problems with the evaporator icing up? I did not need to use the unit on our first trip but I'm sure I will have to on the next. The guy who made our trailer ready and gave us the walk through said we should always run the unit at max cool to keep it from icing up. I read the owners manual for the unit and this doesn't seem correct. It seems like that would make it ice up. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
2016 Sonic by Venture 190vrb
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L V8
27 REPLIES 27

tex_wardfan
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Only once did we have our air conditioner ice up. It was blowing nothing but hot air. It took a little to figure it out, that it iced up. I thought something serious was wrong. It wasn't.

I learned (and you can disagree with me, that's ok)... that in high heat and high humidity if the air conditioner runs for a very long time, the coils can ice up. The problem was resolved when I turned the thermostat to a higher temperature, thus allowing the compressor to cycle on-and-off. The ambient air around the air conditioner needed to help melt down the ice. Once the ice melted, it worked just fine.

That was the day I learned to initially set the air conditioner to a warmer setting, just low enough it kicks on. Once it reaches temperature, it will turn off (of course). Wait a couple minutes, then lower the temperature ever so slightly.

Once it reaches the new temperature, it will shut off again. Wait again and turn the thermostat down a pinch more again. Keep repeating.

If the compressor runs non-stop and is so cold the ambient air cannot actually .... (evaporate) ... it freezes up.

Of course, you REALLY only need to do this when the inside temperature of the camper is like .... a thousand degrees and the outside temperature is 2 thousand! (Ok, like closer to 95-100 and the outside temperature is not much cooler).

When temps are in the 70-80's and even low 90's, the air conditioner compressor will cycle on-and-off, giving the ambient air around it time to actually evaporate condensation and such.

The secret is to set the temperature so the compressor will cycle. Flipping it on with the thermostat as low as it will go and it's 100 degrees outside, and 120 inside, will never allow the compressor to cycle off-on. You CAN expect the coils and fins to ice up.

Ever since I started doing this, we never had ice build up again.

If the outside temperature is just too hot for the air conditioner compressor to cycle, and it runs constantly non-stop, they (may) ice up.

If it does, the solution is to simply turn the air off and let it thaw, then lower the thermostat slowly, little bits at a time.

Thanks, Dutchman. This was the kind of info I was looking for. Personal experience about how your perfectly good ac was freezing up and how you solved the problem. I was hoping to run the ac on low fan speed at night when trying to sleep because the higher speed is quite noisy. Do you always run yours on high fan speed? Even at night?
2016 Sonic by Venture 190vrb
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 4.8L V8

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MAX COOL.....

Just means uses High Fan Speed vs Low Fan Speed

Low air flow
Dirty evap coil
Dirty return filter
High Humidity

All conditions that will cause a perfectly functioning A/C Unit to Ice Up

The #1 reason A/C units ice up is low on freon!
on a rv act he number one reason for icing up is dirty coils number two is a loose gasket

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MAX COOL.....

Low air flow
Dirty evap coil
Dirty return filter
High Humidity

Do not forget loose ac holes in intake hot air entering intake

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Only once did we have our air conditioner ice up. It was blowing nothing but hot air. It took a little to figure it out, that it iced up. I thought something serious was wrong. It wasn't.

I learned (and you can disagree with me, that's ok)... that in high heat and high humidity if the air conditioner runs for a very long time, the coils can ice up. The problem was resolved when I turned the thermostat to a higher temperature, thus allowing the compressor to cycle on-and-off. The ambient air around the air conditioner needed to help melt down the ice. Once the ice melted, it worked just fine.

That was the day I learned to initially set the air conditioner to a warmer setting, just low enough it kicks on. Once it reaches temperature, it will turn off (of course). Wait a couple minutes, then lower the temperature ever so slightly.

Once it reaches the new temperature, it will shut off again. Wait again and turn the thermostat down a pinch more again. Keep repeating.

If the compressor runs non-stop and is so cold the ambient air cannot actually .... (evaporate) ... it freezes up.

Of course, you REALLY only need to do this when the inside temperature of the camper is like .... a thousand degrees and the outside temperature is 2 thousand! (Ok, like closer to 95-100 and the outside temperature is not much cooler).

When temps are in the 70-80's and even low 90's, the air conditioner compressor will cycle on-and-off, giving the ambient air around it time to actually evaporate condensation and such.

The secret is to set the temperature so the compressor will cycle. Flipping it on with the thermostat as low as it will go and it's 100 degrees outside, and 120 inside, will never allow the compressor to cycle off-on. You CAN expect the coils and fins to ice up.

Ever since I started doing this, we never had ice build up again.

If the outside temperature is just too hot for the air conditioner compressor to cycle, and it runs constantly non-stop, they (may) ice up.

If it does, the solution is to simply turn the air off and let it thaw, then lower the thermostat slowly, little bits at a time.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I run the fan on high not auto to blow air over the coils after the compressor cycles off.

This helps dry out the coils to reduce mildew.

And of course as stated, prevent icing.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MAX COOL.....

Low air flow
Dirty evap coil
Dirty return filter
High Humidity

Let me point out something for you in my post

......cause a perfectly functioning A/C Unit to Ice Up

That and the fact that OP has a NEW RV.......isn't actually 'icing up'
but was questioning statement by RV Tech to use MAX COOL

Comprehension/reading

And YES low freon will cause icing up-------hardly a perfectly functioning unit
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MAX COOL.....

Low air flow
Dirty evap coil
Dirty return filter
High Humidity

X2, clean filter, coils and run fan on high. If that doesn't correct it seek professional help
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I had an icing up problem on a car ac and it was due to low Freon.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
MAX COOL.....

Low air flow
Dirty evap coil
Dirty return filter
High Humidity

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MAX COOL.....

Low air flow
Dirty evap coil
Dirty return filter
High Humidity

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gooding__R
Explorer
Explorer
Have someone check the Freon.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
The compressor runs at only one speed and gets the coils cold. Moving more air over them will keep the coils less likely to ice up. In high humidity this can be a problem but low humidity it may not be a problem on any setting.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
It's counter intuitive but the tech was right.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad