cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airstream for $2000!?!?!

Darian
Explorer
Explorer
So I have stumbled upon a "too good to be true" scenario methinks.

The Price: $2000 even

The Trailer: 1993 Airstream Excella, 25 ft

Supposedly in good condition, no leaks, everything works, sent lots of pictures - AND I can go see it, too! The curiosity is killing me!

The Story: Woman divorced husband, trailer is in her name, has title in hand, selling it to get rid of it.

It looks really good in the pictures too - I honestly can't wait to go see it. Taking a taser and a friend, of course.
34 REPLIES 34

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at a car on craigslist once, after a couple days texting and email back and forth it turned out to be a scam. So I signed the scammers email and phone number up for publishers clearinghouse. They wont leave you alone, they fill up your inbox with junkmail!

Thats awesome! I will need to remember that one.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at a car on craigslist once, after a couple days texting and email back and forth it turned out to be a scam. So I signed the scammers email and phone number up for publishers clearinghouse. They wont leave you alone, they fill up your inbox with junkmail!
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Forest River is the manufacturer of the Shasta reissues. There are currently a couple of recalls on these units...

Shasta recall

the Shasta retro trailers have had lots of issues.

actually, Forest River is not the manufacturer, Shasta is.
FR acquired Shasta a few years ago, along with Coachmen, Dynamax and Prime Time. all still have their same factories, they've just joined the family of FR brands.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River is the manufacturer of the Shasta reissues. There are currently a couple of recalls on these units...

Shasta recall
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:
I love it

On our last outing we saw a brand new trailer that looked just like that. Apparently their is a company that is making new retro looking models.

Over the last few years I have seen several resurrected units in use. The most popular color seems to be a sort of a green.

Have fun!!

Reference Shasta. We were at the Columbus RV show this year and saw some New ones. Yes there is a company making retros.

If the original poster on the Airstream can get ahold of the poster, ask for the SN. Airstream is made in Ohio and they should be able to cross match the serial number. I believe the town is Jackson Center. We toured the factory a few years back.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love it

On our last outing we saw a brand new trailer that looked just like that. Apparently their is a company that is making new retro looking models.

Over the last few years I have seen several resurrected units in use. The most popular color seems to be a sort of a green.

Have fun!!

Darian
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah so it ended up being fake as heck - I could "see" it "when it got to my house after shipping"

It smelled fishy so I Google search and found a forum that had this same scam, using different names but the exact same story and the exact same wording.

On the bright side I found a real, better, not scammy find - a 1975 Shasta 16' SCS. For $900. Went to see it, she plugged it in and let me check it out - ac and plumbing worked as far as I could tell, no water damage. I didn't check the appliances as I plan to replace them anyway, but had things like string lights and electric clocks working, lights worked. Fridge worked too and had some snacks in it!

I loved it so much that I gave her 1200 instead of 900... and now I get a nice Shasta to make my own 🙂 I've never been happier.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
every body gets worried about a scam. heres this one, 2013 yamaha 9.9 outboard for sale $1800.new still in box , I asked about it, never got a answer ,two weeks later I get a phone call ,guy was in paris working for the gov, motors at his house in N.C, so we talk sounds real. I drive 600 miles and pick up the motor ,motor retailes for $3200. and the guy turns out to be a general in the army. NOT ALL CRAIGS LIST ADD,S ARE SCAMS.

You're right! And I've been surfin CL since Al Gore invented the interwebs.
But within the last 5 years or so, the "great" deals are progressively more scams and less deals. Used to get some really good deals, but the majority of them now, if you actually find one, are scams, especially if it's a popular item like a boat motor.
Last screamin deal was like 4 years ago, on a new Sno machine, most popular model at the time for a good $2k less than most used ones were going for.
Talked to the lady and she was real, but I was sketched about the whole "divorce sale" explanation. She couldn't start it, tell me how many miles or hours, etc.
I took the plunge, hit the bank and drove 4 hrs down to get it. cCw in hand under my hoodie, lol. It was legit, thing was newer than even I expected and I got another $500 off the already low asking price cause she wanted it gone! (Presumably before the soon to be ex husband came home!)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
A guick check with NADA says the retail price should be between $2,400 and $2,900 - so $2,000 isn't much of a steal. I'd love to see a picture of the '4 burner stove' in a 25' trailer.

How about one of the 4 burner stove in my 17 ft TT.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the OP has any news, if he looked at it or not?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, the add starts out by saying "New cover Airstream". Are they selling you an Airstream cover and not the trailer. Also note that the word travel was spelled tavel. Another sign of a foreign scammer.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
This is pretty typical of a scam ad on CL. The price appears to be missing a zero, you respond to the ad asking just that, then they gotcha. Even if you don't do anything with the unit, they have your e-mail and add it to the list of "suckers" that they sell.

Even if they post pics, it's usually of another trailer on RVT or RVTrader.
Use the CL remailer and they do not have your email address. The more common scam is they get you to show up with cash and rob you.

Sure seems like a scam. My dad purchased a 70's Airstream for $1700 however it needed a fair bit of work, was barely towable.

If it were me I'd got with a friend or two, armed and no cash. See if the supposed seller can produce a title and DL/ID that matches the name on the title. Likely they will not show once they see you have backup.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Since it uses gas as fuel and has an automatic transmission I would think it is a scam.

ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Here is the ad on craigslist.

https://houston.craigslist.org/rvd/5772605084.html

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
every body gets worried about a scam. heres this one, 2013 yamaha 9.9 outboard for sale $1800.new still in box , I asked about it, never got a answer ,two weeks later I get a phone call ,guy was in paris working for the gov, motors at his house in N.C, so we talk sounds real. I drive 600 miles and pick up the motor ,motor retailes for $3200. and the guy turns out to be a general in the army. NOT ALL CRAIGS LIST ADD,S ARE SCAMS.

Not all, but that one for the airstream sounds like it.
Way out of state area code is a flag, but my number hasn't marched the state I live in within 1000mi in 6 years.
Seems like decent English, and the wierd descriptions could totally be the woman who knows zilch about the camper.
Bottom line, if it's a lady that answers and she's willing to have you come look at it locally it's probably real. May be a pos but real.
Heck someone tried to scam me on a lawnmower I sold last week.
Dude texts me, seems legit, said he's deaf and to text back. I text him back with a polite description, all the stuff someone would ask on the phone.
Immediately texted back,was a cut n paste because he couldn't have typed it that fast. Asking about taking a cashiers check, full price and his movers would come pick it up! Lol
Strung him along for a bit, asked about the color of his mothers underwear, etc and then told him to fo and lose my number. Said hoped he'd get run over by a deaf driver!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold