cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Answering a reoccurring question! IMHO(Old RV's)

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have always been campers, even on our honeymoon, and after 44 years, we are still at it, but slowed by age and physical problems. We started with several different tents. We took our first child tenting with us. In Yellowstone, other campers from their tents yelled at us, when our daughter had colic one night. We packed up and left. By 1980, there were three more little campers, and the tent was getting small and a bit cold for them.

It was time for our first TT, limited by low wages and a growing family, I found a 1964 Chevy Suburban, for $250, that needed an engine rebuild. I rebuilt the 235 six-cylinder engine myself. They stopped producing inexpensive led auto paint around that time, and only expensive mixed resin paints were available requiring air masks.

I went to the John Deere dealer and bought two gallons of John Deer green tractor paint. Stripped the Chevy inside and out and painted everything green. I purchased our first teardrop trailer from a neighbor, stuffed our 4-year-old boy, our 8-year-old twin girls, and our 10-year-old daughter, along with mom and dad into a 10 foot TT. It was all the Chevy-six could do to get the family up the Ashton hill to Island Park Idaho, but it did, and provided loads of good memories.

Over the years, we went through four more Prowler trailers, and one more child, who came to us handicapped, and loving in 1983. By the early โ€™90, the kids were all married, and camping. Our last daughter still lives with us and camps with us. In 1994, I bought our first MH, a 22 foot, 1978 Star Craft, Chevy 350. I was able to do all my own work, but if I knew, what I know now, I would have been nervous on some of the trips we took. We lucked out, no major problems and no flat tires or dually troubles, of which I was very ignorant of at the time. I donโ€™t even remember checking the tire air. The old Chevy, carbureted 350, was easy to work on and maintain. I have since found out that youth has a lot to do with easy maintenance.

The years rolled by and in 2002, we sold the Star Craft, and bought a 24 foot, 2000, Triple E trailer, from a dealer, paying cash. Cash is a great thing when buying and RV, the seller is under your spell. We insulted him with our offer twice in three days he took the second insult. This was a wonderful trailer, made to take any Canadian weather, said a tag on the wall. We pulled it with our 2000 Chevy Z71, very heavy trailer, but the heavy half did it well, and still does just fine.

Time takes its toll, and has on me. I retired in 2005, and in 2008, I had a right knee replaced. By 2011, the compactions of the knee replacement darn near killed me. It is a long story, and years of little activity including camping. We always try to make the 4th of July fireworks at Rigby Lake where all of our children come for a family reunion with their RVโ€™s. But life started to flicker again, and last September we found another MH on Craigโ€™s List, a 1998 Four Winds 5000, 22rk, (rear kitchen) in excellent shape and 36k on the Ford V10. (Donโ€™t tell me, I know all about the V-10 plugs, and no problems here.) We again paid cash from a privet party, and again cash speaks.

For you beginners: I see the post all the time. โ€œI am looking at and older MH. How old is old? Is the price a good deal?โ€ The older and larger they are the more expensive thy get. Many on the forum have had success with older motor homes, and for several reasons: They made upfront decisions.

How much do I want to pay? Do I want to be in debt? What are my mechanical abilities? Will I enjoy paying ten of twenty years on an RV? Do I really like camping or traveling that much, in how much luxury, and what reliability. Am I willing to put another $5,000 into a used MH after purchase? Do I want a Class A, B, or C or TT.

It takes time to find a good used RV, and they are hard to come by. Many are worn-out, dirty, with hidden problems. Because of my physical limitations, yet wanting to conveniently get out and travel, with our handicapped daughter and my wife, which I get around better than she does, this is what we did.

The TT is a bit more than I want to deal with now, but we still have it, so I found a nice MH on Craigโ€™s List eight miles down the road. Can you believe it! The interior and exterior were excellent, with new tires, new batteries, 36K miles, no leaks, and no upgrades. I paid 14K plus tax and license to get it home. Paying cash, I was able to name my fair price I was willing to pay. There were manuals on everything but no service records, and I was the fifth owner. Found this out though the VIN number, and a $14 dollar payment.

Why so many owners? In my opinion, it was handling. I knew it soon as I drove it. The feel made you wonder if the front tires were touching the ground. None of the other owners wanted, or could afford to put any money into fixing the problem. I felt I purchased a diamond in the rough. Since last September, here is what I did to refurbish our 1998 motor home.

Replaced all cooling and heater hoses: Flushed engine and radiator: Replaced all filters: Replaced shocks with Bilestine heavy-duty shocks. I ordered them online, and were installed by same garage. Cleaned mass airflow sensor: Replaced serpentine belt: Had Ingalls Engineering adjustable caster/camber sleeves installed giving the Ford E-350 front end +5 degrees of caster. The garage found worn tie rod ends, drag link, and a leaky pinion seal. Replaced tie rod ends and drag link. Replaced pinion seal cleaned out rear end differential of 15-year-old grime and oil, replace with new oil. Cost $3250. Weighed the unit and adjusted tire pressure enhancing the already now greatly improved handling.

Next, I had the break lines flushed and front rubber break hoses replaced. Breaking improved noticeably. I moved on to what I could still do. I upgraded the converter from a single stage to a three-stage unit. I changed out the radio to a modern do anything Sirus XM satellite receiver. Changed out all the interior lights to LED lights. I added two backup cameras looking through the rear window. One down at my cargo carrier holding my mobility scooter, and one straight out the back. The cameras feed a switch on the dash that feeds my GPS with a built in video monitor, Works better then I imagined, bought the parts on Ebay.

I then had Tire Man (Look on Line for this product.) brass stem valves installed in all six tires. Airing up tires is not a hard job unless itโ€™s dually tires in the rear, then even a young man will cuss. Not a problem for even an old man like me with Tire Man valves.

The last upgrades: I was going to change out the toilet myself but the plumbing was to cramped for me to get it done right. Had a new Dometic 320 high profile toilet installed by local RV dealer, and the roof checked and sealed. No ladders for me anymore, but I did cringe at the bill, $750 for everything.

Finally, I was going to have a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed today,I bought online, but the weather was so bad I canceled out. That will add some safety to tire blowouts, and finish off any small handling problems. I also had a new tire put on the spare tire rim, $198.

I invested $5200 into this motor home putting me at about $19K for a 1998 model. Even if I replaced the engine for some catastrophic reason, Iโ€™d be in it another 6 grand. One can pay 25 grand for a motor home two or three years newer with no upgrades, or service records. Iโ€™ve documented all Iโ€™ve done for a better resale value. I might even get my original $14K out of it. Hope this helps the new RV owner in a thought process for purchasing and RV, and answering the questions I posed above.

Our 1998 Four Winds 5000 parked in front of the Teton's just outside of Jackson Hole, Wy.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID
9 REPLIES 9

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
WA7NDD

Are you going to SeaSide in your Oregon Coast travels for the Hamvention
really enjoyed your post. We just traded in a class C on a 2006 5'er
with two slids do to the fact it was to small for us and the Grandkids.

w5kav 73

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Your story and thought process is about the same as mine was.

So is your coach, well age and engine wise.

We had cash as well and got a steal even with the coach needing work. I told the wife that we could either buy something like this one and fix it up or buy once for 20k more and still have to fix it up.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for your story, it sounds like you did everything right and have a great RV. ENJOY!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
James,
Brake fluid and hoses are often ignored at great peril. It is pretty much the same with all the other rubber parts. And while you are changing out the radiator hoses, it is a good idea to replace and coolant and maybe even flush the cooling system. The glycol does not wear out or age, but the corrosion inhibitors sure do.
Matt

Matt, all the fluids, rubber, and hoses are new. As long as the V10 does not blow a plug, all should be fine. Be out on the Oregon Coast for two weeks fist of June. I also forgot to list a new dash camera which works very well, just in case someone does something stupid in front of us.
Jim
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
James,

By your list of the work performed, it would seem that you have outlined what those in our small community of owners either knew or have learned. Maintenance is important. All of the coaches in our group are 35~40 years old, and they have all had the work you have described except the steering dampers were stock. Getting the front end dialed in will make an amazing difference. I know.

Brake fluid and hoses are often ignored at great peril. It is pretty much the same with all the other rubber parts. And while you are changing out the radiator hoses, it is a good idea to replace and coolant and maybe even flush the cooling system. The glycol does not wear out or age, but the corrosion inhibitors sure do.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Really enjoyed reading your post.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rig and a very informative post. I'd bet the steering stabilizer will be like icing on the cake.

Happy camping!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Same with us. 3 kids camping with us, 20 foot TT with no slides. Now it's just grandma (DW) and I with a 36'FW and three slides.

OP, this was a very well written post and fun to read. Thanks for sharing.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Great post. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I have four kids in the HTT listed below. It is funny how when the kids are gone then the bigger RV comes. It's all good.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)