cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any used class A manufacture to stay away fom

Djtennyson
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a used Class A diesel for around 45-50K. Any manufactures that are better than others or any to completely avoid? Been looking on Craigslist and RV trader mostly and there are quite a bit to choose from so trying to get advice from those that have been doing this for a while.
I am in the Navy and stationed about 3 hours from the house so will be living in it during the week and use it for the occasional camping trip as well with the family.

Thank you,
Doug
17 REPLIES 17

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe ask on the Forest River forum too. Lots of stories there about MH problems...

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
We had 2 Coachmen "C"s before our current coach. Started with a 24' and eventually bought our 04' Coachmen Santara C (Ford E450) as a new previous year left over (good deal). 10 years without a single major issue before we found our current rig. If we hadn't found the Monaco, we would most likely still have it. Can't say how they are now that they are part of Forest River.
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse continued to make the P32 chassis originally designed by Chevy. It had independent front suspension and a narrow track width on the front tires, Workhorse also designed it's own chassis with a solid front axle and wider track. It came with a GM 8.1 liter engine and Allison transmission, a very good combination. I'm not knocking the Ford chassis but the Workhorse chassis, W series, not the P32 series, is a good chassis.

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
A brief follow-up to my previous post:

I knew nothing about Georgetown or Forest River when we bought it. We just wanted that size of rig in the price range it sat. The fact that it was a private sale from the original owners from new was a bonus.

We did have a water incursion into the dining room slide due to a rotted out slide topper, mainly because I hadn't realised how bad the topper was. Fortunately it didn't wet anything else except the upper cabinets in the dining area. They got moldy, so I made replacements.

During my take-out and replace efforts, I got to see some of FRs "out of sight" build standards. I was less than impressed, particularly with the electrical wiring, but not enough to recommend strongly against FR.

Also, you're not going to see any "Chevy" Class As. There are quite a few older ones on Workhorse-branded chassis, which were a Chevrolet product at one time. GM sold the division off quite a while ago, and Workhorse-based rigs are fairly scarce.

Watch out for the "knock-kneed" ones. WH made the dually chassis like it was a dually pick-up, adding outside wheels to the back axle. On a slab-sided rig like a class A, this puts the front wheels a long way under the edge of the body. The last couple of years of WH production this weirdness went away.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
My mechanic friend told us to stay away from Forest River because it keeps him in business, and the one friend who bought a FR had nothing but issues with it, but saying that, lots of folks love them and have nothing but good things to say about them. Rather than avoiding a maker, look for a something that will fit your lifestyle the best. Don't know where your stationed but with winter coming, you need to look for something well insulated, (unless your stationed in San Diego of course.) and with El Nino coming something that has no leaks.
Also consider not spending your whole wad on a rig, cut it in half and then with the extra make sure you have good tires etc.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Avoid anything by Thor.

Ken

You ever owned a Thor? I've owned 2 now and no issues to speak of that you wouldn't find in any other brand.
2013 ACE 29.2

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Same for us as Valkriebush. We started RVing with an old Class C just to "see if we liked the hobby". Got rid of the junker after 18 months and got a 12 year old 32' Class A (a Georgetown 325 on Ford F-53). We ran it for 3 seasons, then realised we hadn't taken it out at all the 4th season (too busy with 50th wedding anniversary party planning), so we sold it.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
My first class A was a 32 footer gasser on a Ford F-53. Other than riding and driving like a truck, it had no issues.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid anything by Thor.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Djtennyson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so looking at the gas RVs is there a difference between the Chevy or Ford? Is one really better than the other?

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Unless your near retirement, and plan on a lot of traveling in the near future I'd go gas. Since your a GB and don't need massive storage space, is another reason. You may find a good buy on a diesel coach, but their expensive to maintain and operate compared to gas. You can find a nice, newer gas coach in your price range. Diesel, 45-55K 1999-2004, more options on gas, 2005-2012. Just a guess though. Good luck. PM me if I can help in anyway. I did hear negative on Alfa's also because of the delam issue. Brand bashing is popular here some times so get an experienced RV'er to inspect your purchase with you if this is all new to you. I learned all about RVing while stationed at NAF EL Centro from the folks in the base RV park. Welcome to the forum Shipmate.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have also been looking for a class A about the same price. We found a lot of high end units that were trashed and so cheaper gas units that were kept clean. I think we will end up with gas for our first one and if we really like it maybe trade up. You won't find a diesel for that price that still looks new

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I was told to avoid Alpha's and look at Newmar, Country Coach and Tiffin.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Both Newmar and Tiffin are top shelf brands. I own a Newmar and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Regardless of brand, demand to see service records and don't buy one that has no documented maintenance history.