cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying an RV through a dealer or private seller?

GaiaGoddess
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a preference among you guys? I have noticed Rv's are definately cheaper from a private seller, but then you wonder if everything has been checked and if they're being honest about stuff. But dealers have WAY less of a selection of used RV's (which is what I want). But some dealers appear to give you a discount on Good Sam insurance so that's a plus.

And if you prefer private sellers, what is the best way to find them? I know Craigslist has a ton, I also have checked RvTrader. Are there any other good sites to check? What about newspaper ads, good or bad?
19 REPLIES 19

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We used a check list from this forum to check out our pre-owned RV from a dealer. We printed it out and to make sure we didn't miss anything and when we were satisfied everything worked and came home and checked the NADA prices, we bought it.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say to shop both your local dealers for used, and also look at Craigslist. Extended warrantys are for the birds. When you see "The One" you will know it. Either way, be sure that all systems work. Learn how to read th date codes on the tires and find out how old they are. Old tires means you need tires. Tread condition is not an indicator. Check NADA for the retail price and haggle from there.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
When we were looking, neither the dealers or private sellers were doing anything to the used rigs. They were filthy, broken down and some smelled like they hadn't dumped the black tank in some time. The only difference was the dealers wanted much more for the same type of rig in the same condition. We ended up buying new.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just picking up a N2M TT this afternoon from a dealer. I actually have searched CL, RVTrader, Ebay, etc. for about 6 weeks and couldn't find anything I liked in my price range. I WANTED to buy from a private seller since the price is usually cheaper without the dealer mark-up.

This dealer 20 minutes from me had another TT that I went to look at. I didn't "bond" with that one, but the one right next to it was unlocked and just for grins I went in that one too. I liked it & thought it would work so I went in the office and asked about it. The price listed was $9995 but the owner said first "How about $7995?" and when I said that was still a little high for me, he countered with $7200.

I already had in my mind that $7000 was my bottom line so I wasn't going to nix the deal over $200. I *might* have gotten it from a private seller for $6500-$6750 but I really don't know.

It's very clean and seems in good shape. Even though I bought it "as is" the dealer will make sure everything works before I leave the lot. Which is a little added "insurance" I guess and worth the extra money.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

GaiaGoddess
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I am kind of shocked to learn that dealers dont always do thorough checks and might not know a lot about each RV they get in. I guess that's true that the owner would know more since they have had it for a while. I am leaning towards buying used from a private seller, with cash. I don't want payments, I want no debt at all.

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
I've gone both routes....2 off of a private seller and 2 from a dealership.

Honestly, I have no complaints either way...nor a favorite. All were easy deals I felt.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
since i live on the West Coast, i've found Midwest dealers sell new RV's for less than a comparable used RV out here.
plus you get the factory warranty and everything's new.

if i could find a used trailer for less than a similar new one in the Midwest, then i'd consider buying used.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll buy from either one, but I prefer private sellers. I think I can tell how honest someone is pretty quickly if I talk to them for a bit. And I check the unit pretty thoroughly. If I have any doubts the saleโ€™s contingent on my having it checked by a tech that I trust. I start out with local sources like the newspaper and local dealers. Then Iโ€™ll expand if I donโ€™t find what Iโ€™m looking for, but Iโ€™ve never had to do that.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like private, seems they,ll tell every little thing. a dealer doesn,t really know any thing about the used units on there lot.

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
I found my coach on an owner financed website. You negotiate with the owner on down payment, interest, length of financing. I got the owner to finance $70k interest free. www.dreamrvsforsale.com I purchased mine through the lease purchase agreement. The contract was checked out by a friend that was a lawyer that specialized in contracts. There are no red flags. Dream Finders provided me a service that banks would not. I've had my coach for almost 5 yrs now.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you seem to think most Used RV Dealers are a different breed than most Used Car Dealers......

Please note I said MOST in case there are any Used Car or RV Dealers here.

Whether you're buying private or dealer, you need to be able to plug it, hook it up, and make sure everything works. Check the roof, moldings, windows, vents, etc. for signs of leaks and tight caulking. A thorough inspection of the unit is essential. As mentioned, once you hand over the cash or sign, it's yours.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
GaiaGoddess wrote:
Is there a preference among you guys? I have noticed Rv's are definately cheaper from a private seller, but then you wonder if everything has been checked and if they're being honest about stuff.

If I'm paying cash, then I'm open to both private and dealer--whoever gets me the best deal on what I'm looking for. As for the notion that the dealer would check the camper more thoroughly than a private seller, or be more honest about it, that's not always true...

For example, I once traded in a pop-up to the dealer. It had some dry rot, so I was ok with letting it go for cheap. The dealer then proceeded to say that since it's missing the awning, they need to discount the value because they will place an awning on it before selling it... I went with it anyway, as I didn't want to sell anyone a dry-rotted trailer myself. The next day, the dealer turned around and listed it for sale as it was, no awning, and for 4 times what they gave me in a trade-in...Suffice to say, I never traded another camper in after that...I doubt they checked it very thoroughly, as I traded it in at about closing time, and it was listed for sale by the next morning...
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
If you are new to RVing AND IF YOU CAN FIND A RELIABLE DEALER I think the dealer route is the way to go. A good dealer will give you the knowledge and confidence you need to use that RV to its utmost.

Note the "reliable dealer. " Quite frequently RV dealers never want to see you again after the purchase (unless of course you're buying something. )

I was fortunate years ago when I purchased my first Lance TC and recently when I purchased my first large TT to work with dealers that had excellent after sale support.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Financing is also something to consider. If the RV you're looking at is older than 5 years it is very difficult to get financing on your own. If you buy it from a dealer they will generally have financing available.