cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying an RV with patched water leak

goosechase
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I'm new to the forums here and was hoping I could get some advice about a Class C I'm thinking about purchasing.

My partner and I are finally ready to take the plunge and purchase an RV for full-timing. Right now we're looking at a 1992 Tioga Montara listed for $5500. The owners have let us know that there were some leaks when they first purchased it years ago, but that they have since patched them up and haven't had any further issues. There is a small bubble on the edge of the inside ceiling in one spot.

I realize this is almost a 30 year old coach and expect there to be some problems. Would you personally consider an issue like this to be a deal breaker? Are there any ways I would be able to better determine whether there's been extensive water damage or not?

I'm planning to get whatever RV I decide on inspected before purchasing, but don't want to waste the time and money if the bubble on the ceiling would be considered a huge red flag to someone with more experience. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and I welcome any and all advice!
21 REPLIES 21

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bubble on the ceiling needs to be opened up so you can see the entire ceiling area to properly assess the water damage. Walk on the roof to see if it is "spongy". You live in Phoenix so the condition of the HVAC is paramount. This unit needs to be looked at very closely. A rig that old might need all new HVAC.

I, personally, would be very leery of planning on full timing in a rig of this age.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another pricing tool it to take the exact year and model to RV-TRADER dot com and see what private sellers are asking. Don't bother with dealers (who have been known to "assist" the truth) and take asking prices as a starting place for some horse trading.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
goosechase wrote:
Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I have decided to pass on this RV. I agree that I don't have the knowledge or skills to fix up something that needs a lot of work. My budget is actually around 12K but was attracted to the lower price on this MH and having the extra room in my budget for repairs. I definitely appreciate the perspective of people with more experience about these things, even though it's a bit hard to hear! Fingers crossed that I find the right RV soon, I will keep looking.
Good choice - feel free to float any questions on here when you find something else you may be interested in. Check the NADA website for pricing ideas. Check you local Craigslist as well. Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Goosechase please do yourself a favor and watch this video before you buy ANYTHING.

People can learn a bunch from this video. Even people that have been around RV's all their life.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The folks saying $2-3000 have no idea what they’re talking about and are taking a very antagonistic approach. It could be a pile of junk or it could be a good RV.

You are correct in your approach that if you’re not very knowledgeable then eliminating as many known issues is better probability of not having issues.
I agree with buying below your budget and saving some $ for repairs. Given your tight budget, that is a very responsible plan with good forethought.
Keep looking for that great deal. You’re coming up on the selling season in snowbird land. There are/will be ALOT of RVs for sale by folks who’ve taken their last trip.
Phx is literally littered with RVs for sale in the spring.
Good luck in your search.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is my experience. We purchased our RV used, mostly because we wanted to see if we would use it enough to justify the expense. We found one about 10 years old at a great price. I should have had it inspected by a professional but I have experience finding water damages in homes so I thought I knew what I was doing. A moisture meter really does not work in an RV, the walls are too thin and the meter doesn't get a good read. It is better than nothing, but not great.

The trailer we bought had a leak that I did not find. It presented itself within the first fall and good rainy season. I have had it fixed and then fixed again as these things are hard to trace to the actual source sometimes, it was coming from the roof vent for the fridge. Anyway, no water damage and after 2 years, no additional water intrusion. So, if it is fixed and dry and no damage, it will be OK. If someone finds the leak and takes care of it, then there is no reason it will come back. However the older the rig, the more likely another leak can occur. I keep mine covered all winter to help any future problems. I also check it constantly to make sure if anything else happens I fix it ASAP. So far, all good.

Happy Camping:)

goosechase
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much to everyone for their input. I have decided to pass on this RV. I agree that I don't have the knowledge or skills to fix up something that needs a lot of work. My budget is actually around 12K but was attracted to the lower price on this MH and having the extra room in my budget for repairs. I definitely appreciate the perspective of people with more experience about these things, even though it's a bit hard to hear! Fingers crossed that I find the right RV soon, I will keep looking.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid any RV that has evidence of water leaks. Like someone else said, fixing the leak is fairly easy, however fixing the damage caused by the leak can be a huge problem. I'd pass on this one. I'd also learn some basic ways to inspect an RV to detect evidence of water leaks. Look for stains in the interior panels, soft spots in the walls and floors, odors of mildew, and lumpy soft spots in the roof. I know from experience...the first TT I bought had about 3 feet of the roof rotted out and it was a very expensive big job to fix.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
"You get what you pay for" comes to mind.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Disclaimer - not an answer you are going to like -

The fact that you are newbies to the rv world, going to jump right in on a very old used RV, and that you have to ask the question in the first place, tells me you are not handy or seasoned enough to full time RV in a rig like this. You need something newer, better condition, the bugs worked out and mostly trouble free. (I say mostly because no RV, I don't care how new or expensive, is trouble free).

This RV is going to be a LOT of work that I am guessing you don't know anything about doing. And I mirror what others have said, it's not the fix that you can see, it's the damage that you can't see that's the issue.

Keep looking. Plenty of used RV's out there. And I would consider raising your budget to get something less prone to issues. $5k RV you will dump another $5k in to keep it going and never see a dime of that back, or increase your budget so you aren't constantly chasing problems and enjoy your trip instead.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Too much $$$ even without the uncertainty of the possible water damage, not to mention all the other stuff that is ready to fail on a 30 year old vehicle. There are better, newer MHs at that price. This one has the potential to be a money pit.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
5000 run away. 2000 maybe.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When looking at RV's, new or used, buy a MOISTURE METER and use it at several locations in the RV. It will help determine if the wall is wet.
There are many models and price ranges of the meters. Check Amazon for one that suits your needs and budget.
Maybe you can borrow one from a friend?

Also, feel for soft spots on the floor and walls. Water leaks are the main killer of RV's.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an older Damon Escaper. It was a constant work in progress. I bought at the right price, did my own work. Drove the heck out of it (45,000 mikles) and sold it 6 years later for what we paid. We had fun but if I had to pay someone to do the work, it would have been one of the most expensive vehicles I had ever owned. Old vehicles require CONSTANT MAINTENANCE.

I really enjoy my newer truck and new TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired